• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yet you're already trashing the Black Widow movie based on a trailer you don't like that has a mostly positive general consensus.

I said she can’t act 

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well I guess those guys can carry a movie by themselves, then. You know who else can carry a movie? ScarJo.

I already noted she did a good job in Lucy. But as far as a steady lead, her track record has been a little ify.

Now with Ghost In The Shell, that wasn't her issue. It was altering the original story that bothered more than a few fans. Although as a fan of the animated film I was okay with the live production.

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I said she can’t act 

Scarlet Jo certainly isn't the character actor type. She doesn't disappear into her roles. But neither do a lot of the MCU actors. RDJ isn't really playing Tony Stark, he's being himself. So is Chris Evans. Jeremy Renner. Brie Larson. I think it's part of the secret ingredient of these Marvel flicks. Let the actors play themselves to make the Marvel characters they portray breathe a little more realistic. Scarlet Jo is really just being herself when she's Black Widow, it seems to me. But does she successfully convey emotion when needed? I think so. Her final scene in Endgame was pretty powerful in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Scarlet Jo certainly isn't the character actor type. She doesn't disappear into her roles. But neither do a lot of the MCU actors. RDJ isn't really playing Tony Stark, he's being himself. So is Chris Evans. Jeremy Renner. Brie Larson. I think it's part of the secret ingredient of these Marvel flicks. Let the actors play themselves to make the Marvel characters they portray breathe a little more realistic. Scarlet Jo is really just being herself when she's Black Widow, it seems to me. But does she successfully convey emotion when needed? I think so. Her final scene in Endgame was pretty powerful in my opinion.

Yeah that sounds like a brilliant idea

7 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I have a soft spot in my heart for SJ in Lost in Translation. She was directed very well there. Can’t think of any other role where she wowed me. Gorgeous and popular and will continue getting big roles. But not even a tenth of an actor like Frances McDormand.

She got to play alongside 

Bill :censored: Murray

12 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I have a soft spot in my heart for SJ in Lost in Translation. She was directed very well there. Can’t think of any other role where she wowed me. Gorgeous and popular and will continue getting big roles. But not even a tenth of an actor like Frances McDormand.

In my opinion

There are 2 kinds of actors-character actors like jake gyllenhall that you can put in any role, and set characters like arnold schwarzegger or hugh jackman that always play the same character. They both have uses depending on movie, but both still need to act. Compare with high school play to see what "cant act" looks like.

22 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I loved her in Lost Point but that's because of what she represents not necessarily her acting

same for Don Juan (I think that's what it's called) and shes great in Her

9 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I loved her in Lost Point but that's because of what she represents not necessarily her acting

same for Don Juan (I think that's what it's called) and shes great in Her

She definitely is a more reserved performer that doesn't throw emotions into each role. So the roles she does shine in are those with characters that seems distant and reserved (Lucy, Lost In Translation, Ghost World, Black Widow).

That doesn't mean she is a bad actress, or that Black Widow is going to be bad. That's just her track record. People taking offense to that and acting like they have to rush to her defense need to relax. Trust in she will be just fine.

50 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

She definitely is a more reserved performer that doesn't throw emotions into each role. So the roles she does shine in are those with characters that seems distant and reserved (Lucy, Lost In Translation, Ghost World, Black Widow).

That doesn't mean she is a bad actress, or that Black Widow is going to be bad. That's just her track record. People taking offense to that and acting like they have to rush to her defense need to relax. Trust in she will be just fine.

It’s a bit of a preposterous debate anyway. Scarlet Jo has been just fine with the Black Widow role since she figured it out with the first Avengers movie and has since grown exponentially with the role. 

I remember Emily Blunt was Marvel’s first choice as Natasha R. In hindsight, I can’t see that. In the few movies I’ve seen her in, Blunt’s cooler British personality and look seemed to permeate her acting. She seems a little aloof to me.

Scarlet Jo, on the other hand, has a warmth and vulnerability to her, both physically and personality-wise. As a super spy, one might tend to overlook her for the killer she truly is. That warmth also lends to her being more of a team player and friend within the Avengers family.

30 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I remember Emily Blunt was Marvel’s first choice as Natasha R. In hindsight, I can’t see that. In the few movies I’ve seen her in, Blunt’s cooler British personality and look seemed to permeate her acting. She seems a little aloof to me.

Preposterous you say? Go watch Live-Die-Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow.

<3

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It’s a bit of a preposterous debate anyway. Scarlet Jo has been just fine with the Black Widow role since she figured it out with the first Avengers movie and has since grown exponentially with the role. 

Scarlet Jo, on the other hand, has a warmth and vulnerability to her, both physically and personality-wise. As a super spy, one might tend to overlook her for the killer she truly is. That warmth also lends to her being more of a team player and friend within the Avengers family.

Very astute

But I think that aloofness (emily blunt) would capture the Russian character.

Scar Jo is convincing, and as a spy/assasin she doesn't have to make her character obviously Russian. Than again JLaw did an absolute Master Class in Red Sparrow.