• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Oddball said:

Downey Jr. was cast against type?

E1DFF40A-FE4F-407F-BAE3-F7F1F9C65CCF.jpeg

Stark's infamous alcoholism storylines were the only thing that fans could link RDJ to the Tony Stark role, at the time. But in the comics, Iron Man was still an action hero and Tony Stark was a handsome manly playboy. Robert Downey Jr did not fit those types. Downey was seen mainly as a quirky character type actor, particularly from John Hughes type movies in the 80's. He was nominated for Chaplin, a quirky character, but that's about it. Paramount's first choice was Tom Cruise, an action star and a lady's man. As RDJ/Stark says at the end of the Iron Man movie, "clearly I'm not the hero type." 

And here are some screenshots from Reddit users as a sampling of fan sentiment at the time...

940782141_ScreenShot2020-01-14at10_09_32AM.thumb.png.325c7309756069590ac3ae56cfdc9288.png1739599328_ScreenShot2020-01-14at10_10_38AM.thumb.png.a056b24084167a02db5442b535ecb44d.png

41 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And here are some screenshots from Reddit users as a sampling of fan sentiment at the time...

Fortunately, Reddit doesn't always turn out to be the best representation of comic book fans as a whole. Many times you are seeing movie people using its forums to track and comment on productions. Which is why the JJ Abrams rumored comment about 'directed by Reddit' for ROS.

Iron Man 128 was the first thing to came to mind for me when I first heard the announcement of RDJ's casting. Like a perfect fit at that stage of the character's life.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

The first trailer implied that Rachel Weisz might be Taskmaster because it showed an image of her that faded into an image of Taskmaster fighting Widow.  Still can't tell from this trailer what gender Taskmaster is.  The suit is bulky enough with enough pockets and accessories up and down the arms and legs that it could be a man or a woman under there.

so they are going to setup another Ghost?

That could be interesting.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Stark's infamous alcoholism storylines were the only thing that fans could link RDJ to the Tony Stark role, at the time. But in the comics, Iron Man was still an action hero and Tony Stark was a handsome manly playboy. Robert Downey Jr did not fit those types. Downey was seen mainly as a quirky character type actor, particularly from John Hughes type movies in the 80's. He was nominated for Chaplin, a quirky character, but that's about it. Paramount's first choice was Tom Cruise, an action star and a lady's man. As RDJ/Stark says at the end of the Iron Man movie, "clearly I'm not the hero type." 

940782141_ScreenShot2020-01-14at10_09_32AM.thumb.png.325c7309756069590ac3ae56cfdc9288.png1739599328_ScreenShot2020-01-14at10_10_38AM.thumb.png.a056b24084167a02db5442b535ecb44d.png

I’m not doubting there wasn’t nerd rage online at the casting, there usually is. I just recall his personal substance abuse battle mirroring Starks fall at the time.

My own nerd rage is for the casting of Rhodes, both times! They got fantastic actors that neither looked the part or played the part correctly. 

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The first trailer implied that Rachel Weisz might be Taskmaster because it showed an image of her that faded into an image of Taskmaster fighting Widow.  Still can't tell from this trailer what gender Taskmaster is.  The suit is bulky enough with enough pockets and accessories up and down the arms and legs that it could be a man or a woman under there.

https://mcucosmic.com/2020/01/14/the-black-widow-special-look-disproves-a-fan-theory-about-taskmasters-identity/?fbclid=IwAR0ddaMs3hNLBFv8_Z0Fod7NTJ9Y8WaV72RvU0b8Fm9egK6BF3rnH_f9hgo

MCU Cosmic says the new trailer disproves that theory, saying the person fighting Guardian in the trailer is Task-baby and Melina is also in the scene, apparently. If that is Taskdaddy in the Guardian fight scene, they look about the same size there.

59 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I’m not doubting there wasn’t nerd rage online at the casting, there usually is. I just recall his personal substance abuse battle mirroring Starks fall at the time.

My own nerd rage is for the casting of Rhodes, both times! They got fantastic actors that neither looked the part or played the part correctly. 

I have to disagree with you there, Terence Howard was awesome... Don Cheadle, not so much.

1 hour ago, bane said:

I have to disagree with you there, Terence Howard was awesome... Don Cheadle, not so much.

Both actors are awesome. Just not in that role. Since he’s considered a supporting character, they probably didn’t feel the need to transfer his comic book personality over to film.

25 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Both actors are awesome. Just not in that role. Since he’s considered a supporting character, they probably didn’t feel the need to transfer his comic book personality over to film.

I've never read an Iron Man comic so I wouldn't know, which is why it works for me.

18 minutes ago, bane said:

I've never read an Iron Man comic so I wouldn't know, which is why it works for me.

I get you. I’ve never read a Reacher novel which is why Tom Cruise worked for me. My dad is screaming bloody murder though. 

16 hours ago, Oddball said:

I get you. I’ve never read a Reacher novel which is why Tom Cruise worked for me. My dad is screaming bloody murder though. 

But at least Jack Reacher went full person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point from the first movie's first trailer. 5'7" Tom Cruise *and* featuring him in a car. It was like a huge middle finger to the fans.

Oh, Lord. Please - NO!

The marketing cycle for Black Widow is well underway, thanks to the release of a second trailer and the subsequent unveiling of merchandise from Marvel Studios' most popular licensees. Some of the merchandise has revealed some potential plot points, like Taskmaster apparently wielding claws similar to those of Black Panther. Another item that's been unveiled could show the link between Black Widow and the late Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.).

A new kids' playset from Hasbro includes Taskmaster's spooky techno-skeleton look, complete with his hood and shield. Interestingly enough though is the visor part of the mask, which appears to include a built-in HUD. If you look closely enough, it looks to mimic that of Iron Man's, especially the times we've seen it on screen.

If Taskmaster does pull some inspiration from Iron Man, it makes perfect sense. In the comics, the character has a photographic memory that allows him to perfectly mimic those he comes up against. In this case, it could explain the shots of the character we've seen so far. Between the two trailers, we've seen him throw his shield (Captain America), and use a bow and arrow (Hawkeye). The Funko POP! toys previously mentioned could pay homage to Black Panther and if he does use a Stark-based HUD, there's the Iron Man homage there.

black-widow-toys-1203677.jpeg?auto=webp&

Then there's the possibility the character has an even bigger connection to Iron Man than the tech would seem to suggest. As we've seen with two villains so far — Vulture and Mysterio — Tony Stark has had a negative impact on them, directly causing their descent into villainy.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

It's potentially another Stark Industries influence where the Taskmaster may have stolen his technology from Tony.

That seems likely, and entirely consistent with what Taskmaster does.  His whole shtick is that he steals the moves and weapons of other heroes.  When he first appeared he had a copy of Cap's shield, Daredevil's billy club, and Hawkeye's bow and arrows, so he was like a copy of the non-powered heroes with all of their moves and weapons.  At first he just carried different weapons around, but eventually he stole SHIELD tech in the form of his shield that could automatically convert it to anything he wanted.  So him having the tech of various Avengers is exactly what I'd expect.

So what's the problem?