• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

why can't they just roll everything back 6 months?  this seems so obvious, they already got slots penciled in for the next two years. and if we're still in the midst of this in Nov, then we've got a lot more to be worried about than whether Falcon gives away plot points for Black Widow. 

Edited by paperheart

The Black Widow film might be on hold for now but that didn’t stop the latest issue of Empire Magazine from dropping the identity of Ray Winstone’s character.

You might know Ray Winstone from King Arthur, The Departed, Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, or any of his other numerous credits. However, we’ll all know him much better when we finally get to see him play Dreykov in Black Widow.

Ray Winstone will play Dreykov in Black Widow.

Dreykov is the head of the Red Room, the Soviet training program that trains young women into deadly assassins.  If the name Dreykov sounds familiar, it’s because you heard it back in 2012 in The Avengers.

During The Avengers‘ interrogation scene, Loki goads Natasha by bringing up her past transgressions:

“Can you wipe out that much red? Dreykov’s daughter, São Paulo, the hospital fire… Barton told me everything.”

Black Widow is supposed to be filling in some of the gaps of Natasha’s past. It’s more than appropriate that figures of her shadowy past are going to play a key role in the film. Especially if those people have grudges to act upon.

1 hour ago, bikesnbuses said:

So my wife just read that there will be a villain introduce a new big bad(Obvious not Taskmaster who is obviously in it) ..Doctor Doom? or Galactus..or..Paste Pot Pete?:idea:,your thoughts or knowledge? :shy:

Doom would be my guess. I think he is coming and is going to pretty much take charge for awhile.

At some point they may have to release these movies on Disney+.  While the Black Widow movie itself is okay to push back there is too much merchandising associated with each film that is going to either rot on the shelves or not sync up with the release of the film and capitalize from the hype and demand.

If you do not think this is a big deal I offer GI Joe Retaliation as an example.  The movie was delayed but the toys were on the shelves without media support.  The first waves of the toys that were released leading up to the movie were sold and then stocked away for 8-9 months.  By the time that the movie arrived, the supply chain had a kink in it and was unable to properly distribute all waves and ties in to the shelves.  This led to a lot of stuff sent straight to clearance and to discount stores.  Some Joe fans blame this for putting the final nail in the coffin and effectively killing the line.  After that it was limited online and TRU releases and then club figures and then an absence of product for three years.

Edited by Buzzetta

Furthermore @Bosco685 I would love to hear your thoughts on this.  I don't know if anyone is going to go back to the movie theaters anytime soon. Forget any perceived politics, look at human behavior and logistics. 

• Movie theaters already have less seats as they brought in recliners to make things more comfortable and spacious for people to lounge. 
  • People are filthy animals.  Look at the dump and toss their garbage all over the place. 
  • Consider cleaning times to disinfect theaters between viewings... this allows for fewer opportunities to schedule viewings. 
  • People cannot wear masks while eating popcorn and you can't put up plexiglass screens around chairs in a theater - the glare would be distracting
  • Even if they open theaters with guidelines, who is going to go?   Attendance is already dwindling.

What if there is a vaccine?

• Let's be realistic.  You think the anti-vaxers are going to make an exception for a Covid-19 vaccination? 
  • How long before everyone takes it. 

Studios need to focus a little more on alternative means of delivery like Disney did with Hamilton and Onward and Apple TV did with Greyhound and Bloodshot instead of shelving films until they feel it is the right time.  We may very well see the death of the movie theater over this because I cannot see how they remain a viable business opportunity in either scenario by opening or if they remain closed with everything transitioned to online or streaming platforms.   Even if they cut capacity by 1/3 for a movie, they would have to increase ticket prices by 3x at the minimum to compensate.   Forget about fewer showings due time required for cleaning as well as fewer concessions.   Is anyone really going to pay $45 per movie ticket?  For the price of two tickets I might as well get another streaming service for the year. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Furthermore @Bosco685 I would love to hear your thoughts on this.  I don't know if anyone is going to go back to the movie theaters anytime soon. Forget any perceived politics, look at human behavior and logistics. 

•  
Spoiler

• Movie theaters already have less seats as they brought in recliners to make things more comfortable and spacious for people to lounge. 
  • People are filthy animals.  Look at the dump and toss their garbage all over the place. 
  • Consider cleaning times to disinfect theaters between viewings... this allows for fewer opportunities to schedule viewings. 
  • People cannot wear masks while eating popcorn and you can't put up plexiglass screens around chairs in a theater - the glare would be distracting
  • Even if they open theaters with guidelines, who is going to go?   Attendance is already dwindling.

What if there is a vaccine?

• Let's be realistic.  You think the anti-vaxers are going to make an exception for a Covid-19 vaccination? 
  • How long before everyone takes it. 

Studios need to focus a little more on alternative means of delivery like Disney did with Hamilton and Onward and Apple TV did with Greyhound and Bloodshot instead of shelving films until they feel it is the right time.  We may very well see the death of the movie theater over this because I cannot see how they remain a viable business opportunity in either scenario by opening or if they remain closed with everything transitioned to online or streaming platforms.   Even if they cut capacity by 1/3 for a movie, they would have to increase ticket prices by 3x at the minimum to compensate.   Forget about fewer showings due time required for cleaning as well as fewer concessions.   Is anyone really going to pay $45 per movie ticket?  For the price of two tickets I might as well get another streaming service for the year. 

I think no matter what, there will always be a portion of the consumers that will demand and expect a theater experience. No matter the potential for a COVID infection. Just look at the folks walking around you at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. that refuse to wear a mask and want life back to pre-COVID standards.

But I think business, education and general lifestyle practices will have changed due to COVID. Including companies expecting less of the '100% work in the office' norms, or consumers assuming any goods they pick up from the supermarket going forward must be treated as having some form of germs to account for. Crazy experiences lead to excessive changes - like it or not.

Plus, with the success of films going direct to video that never had a theater release, studios are going to reflect on how little cost they had involved to land that larger revenue result. Though going back to the first point, they can't walk away from certain films must have a theatrical run to satisfy a portion of consumers demanding this experience.

I don't know, I was already on the fence about stopping going to movies before this covid thing hit, and just waiting the 90 days to stream.  But now I'm fully in the camp of "I don't expect to ever set foot in an actual theater again".

27 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think no matter what, there will always be a portion of the consumers that will demand and expect a theater experience. No matter the potential for a COVID infection. Just look at the folks walking around you at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. that refuse to wear a mask and want life back to pre-COVID standards.

lol Those are finding out that life doesn't work that way for them.  They mask up or they do not enter.  If they choose to disobey they don't find things too pleasant.  They are ordered to leave if they do not have a mask as I saw while picking up paint at at the hardware store or after the police ordered a guy out of the local Post Office, or as I myself stared someone down the other night.   

But I think business, education and general lifestyle practices will have changed due to COVID. Including companies expecting less of the '100% work in the office' norms, or consumers assuming any goods they pick up from the supermarket going forward must be treated as having some form of germs to account for. Crazy experiences lead to excessive changes - like it or not.

Good point - agreed.

Plus, with the success of films going direct to video that never had a theater release, studios are going to reflect on how little cost they had involved to land that larger revenue result. Though going back to the first point, they can't walk away from certain films must have a theatrical run to satisfy a portion of consumers demanding this experience.

That's another good point as it definitely raises the possibility of certain movies succeeding and possibly developing their own franchises under the new standard when under the old standard it would not have worked. 

I also cannot help but think of what has become of professional sports in recent years.  I am also talking about public reaction to an increase in movie prices.  At the end of the day, is it worth spending the increase in pricing $25-30 as an example for a standard ticket?  We already see pre-covid that it was near impossible to take a family of four to a baseball game.  Post Covid there are talks of having to increase ticket prices again to accommodate the social distancing in 2021 that will most likely have to occur, IF they even allow fans back in.  I am thinking that movies may have to follow a similar suit.   At what point are parents priced out of taking their kids to the movies?   Does this all expedite it?