• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I wouldn't put that pressure on any film in 2021 as it assumes people will prioritize entertainment over safety. That would be a troubling outlook no matter who the studio or characters are.

The reality of the situation, like Oddball noted, is it is going to take more than a few movies and even the theater companies investing in solid protective practices to ease moviegoers back into the comfort of attending such events again. Disney nor Marvel are going to do this on its own just based on a given single film.

Many theaters are selling tickets by the seat number now and if they don’t they should consider it since they can sell seats with separation. I’ll go to the theater tomorrow with a mask if my seat is 4 or 5 seats away from the next person. It’s going to be the theaters reassuring us that everything is disinfected after every showing (we should see a decon team marching in as we leave the theater. But it’s all really going to boil down to plain old timing. This summer will be interesting because the theaters in China are open now and ripe for a Hollywood blockbuster.

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Many theaters are selling tickets by the seat number now and if they don’t they should consider it since they can sell seats with separation. I’ll go to the theater tomorrow with a mask if my seat is 4 or 5 seats away from the next person. It’s going to be the theaters reassuring us that everything is disinfected after every showing (we should see a decon team marching in as we leave the theater. But it’s all really going to boil down to plain old timing. This summer will be interesting because the theaters in China are open now and ripe for a Hollywood blockbuster.

AMC definitely tried that.

But as soon as it notes you can switch out seats once the movie starts to a seat that makes you feel more comfortable, that could be a concern someone can just jump wherever they like.

12 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The golden opportunity for movie theaters is coming in five months. AMC, Regal, etc have five months to make a few more brick and mortar renovations and also communicate to the world that movie theaters can be safe. So yeah, Black Widow can't really do it alone, but if everyone else does their part, Black Widow could be the one single film on the horizon that brings EVERYONE back to the movies.

With the news of a pharmacist at a hospital purposely destroying 500 vaccines we have a long road ahead to get this thoroughly distributed and applied to a large portion of the populations. If we assume in 4-5 months that will all be sorted out so the majority will flock back to theaters, I think we have some painful surprises ahead.

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

With the news of a pharmacist at a hospital purposely destroying 500 vaccines we have a long road ahead to get this thoroughly distributed and applied to a large portion of the populations. If we assume in 4-5 months that will all be sorted out so the majority will flock back to theaters, I think we have some painful surprises ahead.

With new strains to contend with, I’m just hoping we can get it under control by next Christmas. 

Edited by Oddball

I think this Movie may be DOA.  With the long break after Endgame it seems like the MCU is losing momentum, and having a prequel for a dead character, who should have had her own movie 5 years ago just seems questionable.  Tack on COVID delays, and the movie could feel even more dated and out of sync.  Also the marked shift in current MCU content to streaming, make me think this may have a difficult time finding an audience.  Granted, Eternals could be facing very similar issues.

2 hours ago, drotto said:

I think this Movie may be DOA.  With the long break after Endgame it seems like the MCU is losing momentum, and having a prequel for a dead character, who should have had her own movie 5 years ago just seems questionable.  Tack on COVID delays, and the movie could feel even more dated and out of sync.  Also the marked shift in current MCU content to streaming, make me think this may have a difficult time finding an audience.  Granted, Eternals could be facing very similar issues.

i think you may be right about black widow. should've happened years ago. and now too long after endgame to matter.

but i disagree on eternals. i'm excited for all new characters and a whole new story from marvel. 

Sad to say,  I expect, Black Widow will likely bomb -- relative to recent Marvel momentum.  I would be shocked if it could pull off anywhere near Captain Marvel numbers.  And that's without the Covid pandemic.

Edited by bronze_rules

10 hours ago, drotto said:

You know what else has lost momentum during the pandemic? About everything else on the planet besides bitcoin. But the MCU's drive gears are about to start turning again in about a week and a half. It will continue into March when The Falcon and the Winter Soldier debuts on Disney+, and that series will tie-in directly into Black Widow.

Black Widow isn't just going to be a long lost tale of Natalia Romanoff. It will have implications to the modern day. Right out the gate, we are being introduced to the first new major superhero of Phase Four, Yelena Belova, the new Widow. WW84, on the other hand, is an example of a prequel of Wonder Woman that really goes nowhere in regards her present stories other than she stays alive. Black Widow is the first theatrical film of Phase Four and will set up the MCU going forward (along with WandaVision and Falcon Winter Soldier).

Everyone (excluding disgruntled DC fans I guess) is going to see this movie one way or another. For me, it will mark my return to a movie theater seat for the first time since before the pandemic.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

18 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You know what else has lost momentum during the pandemic? About everything else on the planet besides bitcoin. But the MCU's drive gears are about to start turning again in about a week and a half. It will continue into March when The Falcon and the Winter Soldier debuts on Disney+, and that series will tie-in directly into Black Widow.

Black Widow isn't just going to be a long lost tale of Natalia Romanoff. It will have implications to the modern day. Right out the gate, we are being introduced to the first new major superhero of Phase Four, Yelena Belova, the new Widow. WW84, on the other hand, is an example of a prequel of Wonder Woman that really goes nowhere in regards her present stories other than she stays alive. Black Widow is the first theatrical film of Phase Four and will set up the MCU going forward (along with WandaVision and Falcon Winter Soldier).

Everyone (excluding disgruntled DC fans I guess) is going to see this movie one way or another. For me, it will mark my return to a movie theater seat for the first time since before the pandemic.

Please show me on the doll where DC hurt you. We'll make it pay!

emotion01.gif.2ba0e653f3f38589ead7159901dabc58.gif

53 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah, I'll see it, on Disney+.  This is not a movie that will make sunshine and rainbows and unicorns suddenly appear and draw me back to the theaters.

I agree with the thought process that this is just like "Solo", an unnecessary prequel of an already dead character.  

Good Critical Reviews could turn around the ennui (apathy) for this film.  It has a lot going for it in terms of casting, Marvel Reputation, well known character, etc. I’d be shocked if the -script isn’t at least a 7/10.