• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

It really is crazy at this point kicking a 2020 can down the 2021 road repeatedly and knocking 2022 cans out even further.

No matter how much people danced for joy when WB was attacked for seeing the risks and going with a hybrid release schedule, it's what makes sense right now. No matter how big your MCU patch is on your Disney hat, it needs to go down the same path. Just much better coordination with production teams.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It really is crazy at this point kicking a 2020 can down the 2021 road repeatedly and knocking 2022 cans out even further.

No matter how much people danced for joy when WB was attacked for seeing the risks and going with a hybrid release schedule, it's what makes sense right now. No matter how big your MCU patch is on your Disney hat, it needs to go down the same path. Just much better coordination with production teams.

I will happily pay for BW if it's released on Disney+ premium; if it's released on Disney+ for free and in theaters, I will pay for it in theaters when it is safe to do so. At this point, I just want to see the movie.

31 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I would agree with this.  While I never had a huge hankering to see this to begin with, the more it is "kicked down the road" the less I want to see it.

I find it hard to be excited for any movie that has an ever changing release date.

Times have changed and these studios need to change with them. Lots of people lamented the WB decision, but I think they were just the first to accept the writing on the wall.

Edited by D84
Fixing word tense

5 hours ago, D84 said:

I find it hard to be excited for any movie that has an ever changing release date.

Times have changed and these studios need to change with them. Lots of people lamented the WB decision, but I think they were just the first to accept the writing on the wall.

Agreed. My excitement level for No time to Die was at a ten a year ago. Literally at the top of my list for must-see films. Now, I’ve forgotten about it as quality movies are dropping weekly for home release. Movies I’ve read nothing about before. So now when Bond and Black Widow eventually drop, I’ll be like, “Oh, I’ll probably watch it next weekend.”

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Was rewatching Edge of Tomorrow last night. Wow!

I like Scarlett Jo in the role. But what an alternate take this could have been.

An Emily Blunt Black Widow wouldn't have been as effective, imo. Okay, Blunt can obviously do action and intensity. She's got charisma. Kind of masculine to a degree. But Black Widow isn't about in your face badassery. Natasha is first and foremost a spy and a manipulator. Scarlet Jo has a more down to earth manner and is more feminine. She's more approachable, which makes her a better spy and manipulator. In Avengers, what was her primary super power (besides kicking a**) but her ability to get some Russian gangsters to tell her everything while she's tied up and get Loki to divulge his true purpose aboard the Helicarrier.

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

An Emily Blunt Black Widow wouldn't have been as effective, imo. Okay, Blunt can obviously do action and intensity. She's got charisma. Kind of masculine to a degree. But Black Widow isn't about in your face badassery. Natasha is first and foremost a spy and a manipulator. Scarlet Jo has a more down to earth manner and is more feminine. She's more approachable, which makes her a better spy and manipulator. In Avengers, what was her primary super power (besides kicking a**) but her ability to get some Russian gangsters to tell her everything while she's tied up and get Loki to divulge his true purpose aboard the Helicarrier.

Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher gave a really cool portrayal of Black Widow as an espionage and action focus. It demonstrated how far the character can go with a different approach.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

In Avengers, what was her primary super power (besides kicking a**) but her ability to get some Russian gangsters to tell her everything while she's tied up and get Loki to divulge his true purpose aboard the Helicarrier.

You could have dropped Betty White in that role and she would have gotten the goods from the Russians and Loki, because that is what the -script called for.

16 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

You could have dropped Betty White in that role and she would have gotten the goods from the Russians and Loki, because that is what the --script called for.

That was too funny!

22 hours ago, media_junkie said:

You could have dropped Betty White in that role and she would have gotten the goods from the Russians and Loki, because that is what the ---script called for.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the --script can be written or adjusted and the film shot to play to an actor's strength. Say Betty White is dropped into the role, instead of using Scarlet's beauty and vulnerability to entice Russian gangsters and Loki to divulge intelligence, Ms. White might have used home baked cookies, fresh milk, and that Betty White charm in a completely different scenario to sucker her targets.

My feeling is that Emily Blunt and Scarlet Jo are so different in their demeanor, look, and style that ScarJo's casting shaped the dynamic of Black Widow's role in the MCU, the Avengers chemistry, and even how fans see the character. ScarJo's Black Widow, as it has played out in our section of the multiverse, was effectively playing second fiddle to the big guys Stark, Cap, Thor, and Hulk. Being the resident de facto SHIELD agent Avenger, she became a kind of nanny and handmaid for the boys. I'm not saying it's right, but it allowed the more guy-centric MCU (at the time) to play up the big guys. I'm not sure Emily Blunt would have been happy with that role or as effective. Of course, that's all changing now as women are taking a bigger role in the MCU going forward.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

I've always thought ScarJo was good in the role. You can say it's just what the -script calls for, but the actor is still responsible for embodying the role, and ScarJo does that well. I've always viewed the character as integral to the group; the 1A to Cap in Winter Soldier, my favorite MCU film. Maybe Blunt would've done a good job, but I can say for sure that ScarJo has put forth a decade-plus of excellent performances. I like Emily Blunt, but I have a hard time envisioning her bringing the wry energy that has made ScarJo's performances so enjoyable.

7 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

I've always thought ScarJo was good in the role. You can say it's just what the --script calls for, but the actor is still responsible for embodying the role, and ScarJo does that well. I've always viewed the character as integral to the group; the 1A to Cap in Winter Soldier, my favorite MCU film. Maybe Blunt would've done a good job, but I can say for sure that ScarJo has put forth a decade-plus of excellent performances. I like Emily Blunt, but I have a hard time envisioning her bringing the wry energy that has made ScarJo's performances so enjoyable.

ScarJo has done very well in the role. Though to me her best performance is in Cap 2. So much 'great' in that film.

But with Emily Blunt she has done action performances to reflect on. Including Sicario and Edge of Tomorrow. So it's clear she could have made it stand out as well. Though of course that's a 'could have been' scenario.

Black Widow for me is an odd duck movie as at the end of her cinema journey NOW we are going to find out more about her origin and earlier adventures? As a prequel it feels oddly timed for now. We'll see how it plays out one day when Disney finally figures out the release plan.

I'm glad the Black Widow movie is primarily set right before Infinity War, with sprinkling in details about her origins; it gets the interesting details of an origin story, without having the problem of being a story set so far before everything else that it feels irrelevant.