• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

Last week, we did a slate-by-slate examination of the 2021 calendars for major film studios, speculating as to the sort of changes we can expect them to make as the global pandemic continues to wreak havoc, especially stateside.

Since then, multiple studios went ahead and pushed forward or removed the release dates of 14 films. Disney, Sony, Universal and Paramount have essentially kissed the current winter and most of spring goodbye, along with MGM, which moved Bond film “No Time to Die” from April to October.

Further calendar shifts were inevitable. But we did ponder in last week’s piece if the expanding streaming market would be utilized more considerably, now that we’re almost a full year into film exhibition’s near-total stagnation.

But the studios appear adamant about getting these films in front of audiences in theaters.

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Black Widow for me is an odd duck movie as at the end of her cinema journey NOW we are going to find out more about her origin and earlier adventures? As a prequel it feels oddly timed for now.

The timing is perfect IMO because up until Infinity War and Endgame, Natalya Romanoff never had a real deep emotional presence in any of these movies short of an unrequited romance with Hulk. She was mostly there as support. She was that in Iron Man 2 and the first Avengers movie. She was that in Winter Soldier and Civil War. Even though she was an Avenger, I think there was truly about as much interest in knowing who she truly was as there was with Hawkeye. It's kinda like the Avengers movies told us all we needed to know at that point. But given her deeper emotional role as a major player in Endgame and one of its saviors, finally Marvel opened that portal into her inner emotional world and allowed her to have a real stamp on saving the universe (other than being support), finally positioning her as a major Avenger, and thus opening the door for her debut movie.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Natalya?

"Yes, let's flesh out the character because of her emotional involvement in Endgame, after Endgame..."

And the movie will also presumably heavily set up Phase Four and give us the new Black Widow, Yelena Belova, who will also guest star in Hawkeye apparently.

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The timing is perfect IMO because up until Infinity War and Endgame, Natalya Romanoff never had a real deep emotional presence in any of these movies short of an unrequited romance with Hulk. She was mostly there as support. She was that in Iron Man 2 and the first Avengers movie. She was that in Winter Soldier and Civil War. Even though she was an Avenger, I think there was truly about as much interest in knowing who she truly was as there was with Hawkeye. It's kinda like the Avengers movies told us all we needed to know at that point. But given her deeper emotional role as a major player in Endgame and one of its saviors, finally Marvel opened that portal into her inner emotional world and allowed her to have a real stamp on saving the universe (other than being support), finally positioning her as a major Avenger, and thus opening the door for her debut movie.

I get it at this point the MCU could release anything and you would call it planned and perfectly timed. :baiting::roflmao::foryou:

To me the best timing for this origin prequel would have been right after Captain America: The Winter Soldier. She had nailed the role so fantastically in that film as a spy and hero.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I get it at this point the MCU could release anything and you would call it planned and perfectly timed. :baiting::roflmao::foryou:

To me the best timing for this origin prequel would have been right after Captain America: The Winter Soldier. She had nailed the role so fantastically in that film as a spy and hero.

But the first solo female MCU movie privilege had to be reserved for Captain Marvel, so...

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, as I said before, even though she was great in Winter Soldier (heck everybody was great,) she was still nothing but support in Winter Soldier. In fact, it was unclear to Steve Rogers whose side she was on for part of the movie, so she was kind of ambiguous until the end. But throughout, she had zero as far as emotional role in the movie. That was completely reserved for Steve and Bucky.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I get it at this point the MCU could release anything and you would call it planned and perfectly timed.

Also, I'm not critical free of the MCU. Incredible Hulk and Thor 2 are worthless IMO, and I can't really sit through another screening of Iron Man 3 maybe ever I dislike that movie so much except for Trevor.

And I also didn't think Ant-Man and the Wasp was nearly as good as Ant-Man even though I was whole-heartedly rooting for Wasp.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, I'm not critical free of the MCU. Incredible Hulk and Thor 2 are worthless IMO, and I can't really sit through another screening of Iron Man 3 maybe ever I dislike that movie so much except for Trevor.

The best part of Iron Man 3 is the Marvel One-Shot 'All Hail The King' that came afterwards setting up a future Mandarin appearance. Can't wait!

Oddly enough, that is the last time I inserted the Thor 2 bluray into my player was to watch the one-shot that comes with it - not the main movie itself. Sad!

1 minute ago, piper said:

We used to gauge success based on Box Office. What will be the new barometer with no one going to the theatre?

It will be all about the streaming enrollments, streaming premium fees and with hybrid release schedules coming up with combined metrics to gauge the overall success.

Or in the case of WB/DC films, starting with special accounting practices to convey they were failures in week one and go from there.

Newman_Accountant01.gif.895ecaa6b02b65ee707940d4a1430849.gif

I want to see this and am a Disney+ subscriber so will see how we as a family feel about renting it if comes to that. The kids will probably want to see it so would lean towards the rental. In contrast with Mulan, not much interest to watch it and felt ok to wait until it moved to free status. 

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It will be all about the streaming enrollments, streaming premium fees and with hybrid release schedules coming up with combined metrics to gauge the overall success.

Or in the case of WB/DC films, starting with special accounting practices to convey they were failures in week one and go from there.

Newman_Accountant01.gif.895ecaa6b02b65ee707940d4a1430849.gif

"Newman!"

4 minutes ago, rexinnih said:

I want to see this and am a Disney+ subscriber so will see how we as a family feel about renting it if comes to that. The kids will probably want to see it so would lean towards the rental. In contrast with Mulan, not much interest to watch it and felt ok to wait until it moved to free status. 

If Disney+ puts this as one of their "premium" $29.99 add ones then I will for sure be waiting until it is "free" on their streaming service.  I mean honestly it is already a year late, what will another couple months mean.