• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

While that doesnt really bother me, I do think it would be nice if not everyone was connected to Stark somehow.

My question is why Taskmaster didn't have more Stark tech right from the start in Avengers 196.  That seems like what he should have wanted more than ANY of the other Avengers weapons.

2 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

While that doesnt really bother me, I do think it would be nice if not everyone was connected to Stark somehow.

Bingo!

Hank Pym in the comic books was the original creator of Ultron-5, expanding the Marvel Universe's range of super-intelligent characters alongside Peter Parker, Charles Xavier, Reed Richards, T’Challa, Lunella Lafayette (Moon Girl), Hank McCoy, Jennifer Walters (She-Hulk), Kitty Pryde and yes - Tony Stark too. Having so much go back to Stark Industries is very lazy writing. As if the audience doesn't know anything other than Tony Stark.

21 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That seems likely, and entirely consistent with what Taskmaster does.  His whole shtick is that he steals the moves and weapons of other heroes.  When he first appeared he had a copy of Cap's shield, Daredevil's billy club, and Hawkeye's bow and arrows, so he was like a copy of the non-powered heroes with all of their moves and weapons.  At first he just carried different weapons around, but eventually he stole SHIELD tech in the form of his shield that could automatically convert it to anything he wanted.  So him having the tech of various Avengers is exactly what I'd expect.

So what's the problem?

If we go back to his original introduction...

avg_taskmaster.thumb.jpg.013e8fbea364664316483fa2ac0da5d6.jpg

So, what he stole was their skills due to his abilities. Then designed his own version of their weapons based on how he saw them function (or assumed).

avg_taskmaster2.thumb.jpg.1f9686e39a53a96459d69ff9d79267b9.jpg

But it certainly wasn't being a former employee of Stark Industries, someone wronged by Stark Industries, or modeling his outfit based on Stark Industries. It was about their skills. So if we get another 'Stark Industries technology play' it is going to feel like regurgitated content where Tony and Howard were the keys to the MCU. 

Edited by Bosco685

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The 'general audiences' don't. It's both "sad" and "lazy" because general audiences are uninformed and, well, lazy...

Not really now that we have had so many MCU films and TV shows.

Bruce Banner is established as a genius. Hank Pym thanks to the Ant-Man films is also right there at the forefront. And also due to those films Bill Foster. So building upon their influence as fellow Marvel geniuses expands the range of influence. If that makes sense.

But don't make it look like only Tony Stark had such wide-spread impacts.

They've never limited their context to the original version of any character in the Fox, Sony, or Marvel universes; it's always a mix of all the versions the writers think are the best parts of any given character or their stories.  Taskmaster has been shown to steal both moves and tech for decades.  So your point is that because Stark was a Gary Stu in previous MCU films, Taskmaster should be able to steal anything EXCEPT Stark's toys?

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not really now that we have had so many MCU films and TV shows.

Bruce Banner is established as a genius. Hank Pym thanks to the Ant-Man films is also right there at the forefront. And also due to those films Bill Foster. So building upon their influence as fellow Marvel geniuses expands the range of influence. If that makes sense.

But don't make it look like only Tony Stark had such wide-spread impacts.

Gotta milk that Stark juice, though.

No one has much of an emotional connection to those other characters, though. I agree that it would be beneficial to MCU storytelling to go a completely different route. Nostalgia will only carry Phase 4+ so far. Need to transition if they're going to stay box office-competitive.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

They've never limited their context to the original version of any character in the Fox, Sony, or Marvel universes; it's always a mix of all the versions the writers think are the best parts of any given character or their stories.  Taskmaster has been shown to steal both moves and tech for decades.  So your point is that because Stark was a Gary Stu in previous MCU films, Taskmaster should be able to steal anything EXCEPT Stark's toys?

If his abilities and costume are heavily influenced by Stark Industries (e.g. Captain America's Age of Ultron electromagnetic shield auto-recovery suit, Spider-Man's uniform, etc.), yes, it will come across as limited and lazy writing. Like the MCU has hardly any characters as mentally advanced as Tony Stark.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Gotta milk that Stark juice, though.

No one has much of an emotional connection to those other characters, though. I agree that it would be beneficial to MCU storytelling to go a completely different route. Nostalgia will only carry Phase 4+ so far. Need to transition if they're going to stay box office-competitive.

LUVU3000

:insane:

Can't wait for this because this will make Americans see how we in Russia had to live. This movie will put Russia on the map with mainstream American viewers. This is good because Americans and Russians will become closer. Americans will find us Russians are very good people but it was both our governments that made us look bad. 

9 hours ago, RUSSIAN BEAR said:

Can't wait for this because this will make Americans see how we in Russia had to live. This movie will put Russia on the map with mainstream American viewers. This is good because Americans and Russians will become closer. Americans will find us Russians are very good people but it was both our governments that made us look bad. 

Shoot, I have always known this.

I am a hockey fan, though. Guys like Sergei Fedorov, Pavel Datsyuk, Alex Ovechkin, and Andrei Svechnikov have always given me the idea of the intelligent, hard-working, humble, funny, and great Russians.

Tons of Russian YouTubers that are awesome, too.

I knew it would happen but I held out hope. Love Taskmaster’s look especially the one he gained in the 90’s with the more skeletal mask. Only reason I had any interest in seeing this was to see a scary bad Taskmaster...was worried they would do the more modern tactical mask which isn’t terrible but doesn’t look as menacing or scary. Instead...I get a evil Kenevl motorcycle helmet. 

My fiancé hates Scarlet so the chances I ever get around to seeing this aren’t going to be very high (there are a fair share of Marvel movies I’ve never gotten around to watching). The bright spot for me in the trailer I saw was David Harbour.

42 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I knew it would happen but I held out hope. Love Taskmaster’s look especially the one he gained in the 90’s with the more skeletal mask. Only reason I had any interest in seeing this was to see a scary bad Taskmaster...was worried they would do the more modern tactical mask which isn’t terrible but doesn’t look as menacing or scary. Instead...I get a evil Kenevl motorcycle helmet. 

My fiancé hates Scarlet so the chances I ever get around to seeing this aren’t going to be very high (there are a fair share of Marvel movies I’ve never gotten around to watching). The bright spot for me in the trailer I saw was David Harbour.

A Tuskmaster on film would probably look ridiculous running around in an actual skeleton mask. It's fine for comics, but in a movie, I think he'd either look like something more appropriate for a horror slasher movie or a Halloween movie. The menace or scariness of Tuskmaster in Black Widow will depend more on the tension the filmmakers can build as the Master tries to kill our heroes, if that's the case. Maybe similar to the Terminator always one step behind Sarah Connor or the unstoppable deputies in the distance coming for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

A Tuskmaster on film would probably look ridiculous running around in an actual skeleton mask. It's fine for comics, but in a movie, I think he'd either look like something more appropriate for a horror slasher movie or a Halloween movie. The menace or scariness of Tuskmaster in Black Widow will depend more on the tension the filmmakers can build as the Master tries to kill our heroes, if that's the case. Maybe similar to the Terminator always one step behind Sarah Connor or the unstoppable deputies in the distance coming for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

It either was going to be Tuskmaster...

emotion04.gif.ec2c8a48bda4b56c2fc3beba32500c08.gif

Or Banana Boy...

emotion03.gif.2296f82568c87819783bbea7a7a5de09.gif

Both would be deadly adversaries indeed.

25 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yah I don't like that original mask.  They updated it in the aughts to a metallic mask that I like MUCH better.  If anyone is familiar with the Overwatch video game I've always assumed they stole Reaper's mask from Taskmaster's Udon mask shown below.

The movie mask looks like an odd mix of this Udon mask and the original one.  My favorite between the three is this Udon mask below, then the movie mask, then the original mask.

4056676-taskmaster-task%20(1).jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

My take on BW: Not a fan of SJ in this role.  IIRC Natasha was written into Iron Man 2 only because she asked Jon Favreau to be in it.  I don't buy that Feige planned this solo movie.  I think her agent said to Marvel if Brie Larson gets a solo film Scarlett should get one too.  To say 'no' Feige opens himself to be accused of not supporting women.  At 5'3 she's too short, and of course she can't have a taller co-star so we get a short Yelena too (5'4).  Cobie would have been better.  She commanded scenes and seemed equal among the other Avengers.  Scarlett comes across in every scene as the kid nobody wants on the team.  The other Avengers basically ignore everything she says.