• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm not making an argument nor a personal attack. Being a boring person is only offensive if you perceive it that way. If you don't like the truth, then change it.

You called him "a boring person that doesn't pay attention to details".  It's certainly not a compliment.  

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

You called him "a boring person that doesn't pay attention to details".  It's certainly not a compliment.  

Not everything in life is positive or complimentary. I'm just slinging the facts here. Boring is boring. Most people don't care for it much; some people like it.

Vanilla ice cream is definitely boring but sometimes very enjoyable. I'm sure this boring person has had fun once or twice in their life. :grin:

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Not everything in life is positive or complimentary. I'm just slinging the facts here. Boring is boring. Most people don't care for it much; some people like it.

Vanilla ice cream is definitely boring but sometimes very enjoyable. I'm sure this boring person has had fun once or twice in their life. :grin:

Agree with the first sentence.  I don’t think that anything that anyone says needs to be positive.  You can say what you want to say.  But don’t try and put it all on the other person; ie (paraphrasing) “boring is offensive if you take it as offensive.”

That’s not a matter or perception.  “Boring” is a slam.  Any way you cut it.  

Here's one of the reasons I really liked Black Panther (putting aside the unique afro-futurism, ensemble acting, humor, etc.).

It met my primary criterion for a good comic book film - a plot that would hold up even if you took out all the superhero elements.

We've seen so many comic book films over the last decade that it's no longer enough to be wowed by "Whiz, bang! - that's the superhero on screen!" -- Today's comic book movies should be solid movies in their own right that *just happen* to feature superheroes.

• The Dark Knight was an amazing crime thriller.
  • With a few minor edits, Wonder Woman could have been a great WWI espionage thriller.
  • Winter Solider was a great espionage thriller about the moral limits of the PATRIOT Act -- easily better than the last Jack Ryan or Bourne films.

So where does Black Panther fit?

It was legitimately Shakespearan family drama, featuring a flawed king, a murdered brother, an orphaned son/prodigal nephew, and T'Challa himself, a prince-made-king too soon and struggling with the knowledge that his father -- and perhaps the entire royal court -- had been wrong. Take out all the superhero elements, and it could have been a great gritty mob film.

That's the level of plot -- and care in writing -- that we as comic book fans deserve, and whiy I despise misfires like BvS, Suicide Squad, Venom, and the first Hulk movie so much -- they all take the easy way out, insulting audiences by thinking that seeing the titular heroes on-screen is enough and aiming for a minimally-viable-product, rather than using the heroes as a starting point -- a canvas on which to craft a truly compelling story.

The creators of Black Panther could easily have taken the easy route -- selling it merely "look - they're superheroes, but they're black!" That they didn't, and instead gave us a solid family drama with flawed heroes, sympathetic villains, and moral ambiguity, puts it squarely in the former category.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 11/2/2018 at 12:32 PM, Artboy99 said:

I feel both characters are just copies.

Black Panther is kind of a blend of Batman/ Ironman wealth+technology

Black Widow is La Femme Nikita

Good post, and something that a lot of people don't talk about is that Black Panther's made his first appearance during the height of Batmania in 1966. Look at the cover to 52- a character with pointed devil like ears and a cape. Stan and Jack trying to cash in on a national phenomenon(and it was indeed a cultural phenomenon). When I was a kid, one of my favorite Marvel characters was BP, and that was mostly due to his resemblance to Batman.

The mythology grew around the character and T'Challa did become a much different character. But he was originally conceived as a good character who just happened to resemble a character who was more popular than James Bond or Superman when he made his first appearance.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:45 PM, Straw-Man said:

i in fact don't see that.  just for kicks, you think the cyborg we saw in that awful movie is "infinitely" more interesting than bond? 

I like Black Panther, Bond and the Justice League movie. Please don't excommunicate me from geekdom. :sorry:

BLACK WIDOW Is Reportedly Being Developed As Marvel Studios' First R-Rated Release

Could Black Widow be the first R-rated Marvel Studios film? As far-fetched as it sounds, that's the rumor that's been picking up steam online over the weekend.

Crazy Days and Nights is a somewhat notorious Hollywood gossip site, but it has been known to share some solid movie scoops in the past, and its latest "Blind Item" reveal suggests that Marvel is indeed setting up Natasha Romanov's first solo outing as a more adult oriented feature.

That would be a ridiculous idea. Black Widow is not Deadpool & could possibly lose China in the process. What they need to start doing is making 2 variations to these films. Make 1 a more adult oriented R-Rated & the other PG-13, like they did with the Deadpool 2 Christmas outing & have them play side by side, that way they can attracts a larger demographic. It would encourage more viewings as well, as I imagine adults would still want to see both variations of each film.

37 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Glad to hear that! A R-rated Punisher movie..sure...but the Black Widow I don't think it will generate more ticket sales as R-rated.  I don't see the point of making it R-rated. 

Totally agree. Only reasoning I could see it being rated R would be to get her naked on film, which seems totally unnecessary for the part.

10 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Totally agree. Only reasoning I could see it being rated R would be to get her naked on film, which seems totally unnecessary for the part.

Not if I’m writing it. It would be essential for the plot to advance. ESSENTIAL.