• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Sweet, Sweet GA & SA Pedigrees
3 3

27 posts in this topic

First   :takeit: in the thread or PM gets the book.
No reserving or taking until after I post the scan and price of a comic.
Enticing offers will be accepted.  
An offer to the seller does not put a book on hold.  If someone else takes it at the stated price or makes a better offer before the first offer is accepted then the seller is free to accept the second offer.

Shipping
USA:  USPS Priority Mail insured $18 for one slabbed book and $10 for one raw book.  Save on shipping by purchasing more than one.
International:  I will estimate shipping based on USPS international rates.

Payment
Check or money order is okay but check must clear before shipping.
Paypal is okay for purchases of less than $3k.
Time payments will be considered.

Limitations
No Probies, Shamers or Bronies. Trekkers tolerated but mind the tribbles.

Returns are allowed on all books but notify me within 72 hours of receipt of your intent to return and ship books back within 1 week of receipt.  Buyer pays for return shipping and books must be in same condition as they were received.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Journey Into Fear 8 Church Copy.  Superiors are superior not from the way they were printed but for the odd but compelling nature of their stories.  Superiors are great reads and this particular copy is one of my favorite issues of all of their horror books with a striking cover.  The combination of the red background and lime green demon head is weird but in a good way and is shown to great effect in this beautiful Church copy.

Census:  Sole highest graded copy.  De-slabbed CGC 9.0 ow/w $2000

CGC Label will be shipped with the comic.

Edit:  The reason I refer to the fact that Superior is not known for their printing is that this cover has a number of minor printing defects that appear to be wear defects.  To give a couple examples, the splotches next to the "W" in weird and the splotch to the left of the "J" in Journey are not wear but anomolies of the press laying down the inks.  If you have a question, feel free to ask.

JIF8church.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Wings 90 Cosmic Aeroplane:  The check mark on the cover is the key indicator for the Cosmic Aero pedigree.  The original owner was an art instructor and checkmarked any interesting panels or images featuring females.  In this case, the owner thought the cover image was noteworthy.  Works for me too.  Census:  5 in 9.4 and 2 in 9.2.  De-slabbed CGC 9.2ow/w can be used to further your artistic studies for only $3500.

Wings90ca.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Big Town 1:  You know it's a #1 because it doesn't have a number.  That was DC's strategy to disguise it since a #1 meant new/risky back on the newsstands of the 50s.  The noirish cover is by Carmine Infantino. Census: Sole highest.  Having removed the book from the slab I think the pages are fresh and would probably be ow/w if re-submitted. De-slabbed CGC old label 9.6 cr/ow for $1800.

Label will be shipped with comic.

BigTown1.jpg

BigTown1bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

28 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Wartime Romance 1.  While Baker is justly lauded for his covers, he was also an fine illustrator of comic art.  There are 3 Baker stories, of which the last is an exceptional example of his work.  Highest graded is 8.0.  This is a raw sharp looking 9.0 with off-white pages for $3000.

WartimeRomance1.jpg

Sold per PM

36 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Wartime Romance 1.  While Baker is justly lauded for his covers, he was also an fine illustrator of comic art.  There are 3 Baker stories, of which the last is an exceptional example of his work.  Highest graded is 8.0.  This is a raw sharp looking 9.0 with off-white pages for $3000.

WartimeRomance1.jpg

WartimeRom1int.jpg

take

31 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Journey Into Fear 8 Church Copy.  Superiors are superior not from the way they were printed but for the odd but compelling nature of their stories.  Superiors are great reads and this particular copy is one of my favorite issues of all of their horror books with a striking cover.  The combination of the red background and lime green demon head is weird but in a good way and is shown to great effect in this beautiful Church copy.

Census:  Sole highest graded copy.  De-slabbed CGC 9.0 ow/w $2000

CGC Label will be shipped with the comic.

Edit:  The reason I refer to the fact that Superior is not known for their printing is that this cover has a number of minor printing defects that appear to be wear defects.  To give a couple examples, the splotches next to the "W" in weird and the splotch to the left of the "J" in Journey are not wear but anomolies of the press laying down the inks.  If you have a question, feel free to ask.

JIF8church.jpg

Sold per PM!

Amazing Adv 4 White Mountain:  The WM run of Amazing Adv and Amazing Adult Fantasy was sold through Sothebys as part of the same auction that offered the WM copy of Amazing Fantasy 15. The winner of the two titles was the very disappointed under-bidder of the AF 15 and, as a result, later sold the set.  This WM AA4 is the kind of copy that disappoints me when I see it in a slab as the plastic diminishes the pleasure of viewing such a pretty book.  That is why it was de-slabbed after I bought it enabling the next owner to see it in its natural state.  Census:  1 in 9.0 and 2 in 8.5.  De-slabbed CGC 8.5 white for $2000.

Label will be shipped with the comic.  Yellow line down the center of the book is a scanner artifact.

AmazingAdventure4.jpg

Strange Suspense Stories 20 Church Copy:  Ditko's early work is cruder than it would be later but there's a youthful energy and considerable story-telling skills that he had developed under the tutelage of Jerry Robinson that more than make up for it.  This issue includes two of his stories in addition to the cover.  The color intensity of this Church copy is incredible, though it's not just due to it being stored in Edgar's basement. 

Charlton printed their own comics on a press that had been built to print cereal boxes.  Their quality control was non-existent and, if they ran low on pigment, they just diluted it and kept on printing.  This copy must have been printed at the start of the run as the green, reds and blues are bright and show well against a very white cover.  One of the higher graded copies was the Northford which looks rather dull in comparison to this copy, mostly due to it being printed with the limp inks.

Census: 1 in 9.6, 1 in 9.4 and 1 in 9.0.  This old label CGC 9.0 white was graded in the very early days of CGC and there's very little to complain about other than a couple very light bends.  It certainly looks better than vf/nm which is yours for $1400.

The label will be shipped with the comic.

StrangeSuspenseStories20.jpg

***SOLD***

Journey Into Mystery #76 White Mountain.  This is another gorgeous WM copy, glossy and with intense colors and pretty much unrivalled in my experience.  This is a raw 9.0 for $1400.

Census:  1 in 9.0 and 2 in 8.5 of the 12cent standard price.

JIM76.jpg

JIM76bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Journey Into Mystery #65 White Mountain.  This is another gorgeous WM copy with a light gray cover that has not been yellowed with age.  Every other copy I've seen looks drab.  Ditko's interior story is among his very best.  This is a raw 8.5 for $900.

JIM65.jpg

JIM65 Ditko.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Tales of Suspense #6 White Mountain.  This is another gorgeous WM copy.  This is a raw 8.5  for $1200.

TOS6.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Strange Tales #81 White Mountain.  Another gorgeous WM copy...  This is a raw 9.0 with white pages for $1400.

Census: 1 in 9.2 and 3 in 8.5.

ST81.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

That will be all for this evening.   I will add a few more books Thursday evening.

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Wings 90 Cosmic Aeroplane:  The check mark on the cover is the key indicator for the Cosmic Aero pedigree.  The original owner was an art instructor and checkmarked any interesting panels or images featuring females.  In this case, the owner thought the cover image was noteworthy.  Works for me too.  Census:  5 in 9.4 and 2 in 9.2.  De-slabbed CGC 9.2ow/w can be used to further your artistic studies for only $3500.

Wings90ca.jpg

Sold per PM

JIM 65 and JIM 76 have been sold via PM.