• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get a ripped cover signed?

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys. First time poster here, I've been collecting for years but I'm just now getting into the grading side of it and I've come across an issue that I'm not sure about. Hoping you can help. Apologies if this is in the wrong sub. Anyway...

I have an Iron Man #55 with a ripped cover. It's fully detached by about 80%, meaning, the top left portion of the front cover page is still attached but 80% of the remaining cover is completely detached from the book. There's a local convention coming to town that will feature Jim Starlin (creator of Thanos) and I have considered getting this book signed by him. My question is: Is it even worth it since it has a ripped cover? CGC will be on hand so I would submit it to have it graded right after it's signed. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, iggykoopa said:

Hi guys. First time poster here, I've been collecting for years but I'm just now getting into the grading side of it and I've come across an issue that I'm not sure about. Hoping you can help. Apologies if this is in the wrong sub. Anyway...

I have an Iron Man #55 with a ripped cover. It's fully detached by about 80%, meaning, the top left portion of the front cover page is still attached but 80% of the remaining cover is completely detached from the book. There's a local convention coming to town that will feature Jim Starlin (creator of Thanos) and I have considered getting this book signed by him. My question is: Is it even worth it since it has a ripped cover? CGC will be on hand so I would submit it to have it graded right after it's signed. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Jim Starlin won't allow CGC to SS any of his books anymore so that's out of the equation.

I would say no regardless. 

28 minutes ago, iggykoopa said:

Why doesn't he allow? Genuinely curious, I don't know the story. Thanks.

I just googled it and a whole bunch of links came up including this one... Google is the bomb (thumbsu

Jim Starlin will no longer sign for CGC witnesses.