• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Batman #1 cgc universal with tape

24 posts in this topic

hello fellow board members!

i wanted to get your opinion on a bat1

cgc 1.5 universal with cream to ow pages

tape completely along spine and comPletely along right edge of book.  And tape completely along left edge back cover.  Not sure why there would be the tape completely along spine as there does not seem to be a complete spine split.  Visually spine looks pretty solid

would it be wise to attempt to remove the tape?  As the book displays beautiful strong colors perhaps removing the tape would possibly take away some of the color? Hence taking away some of the eye appeal.     Hmm thoughts?   Keep as is?   

1C22507E-D6D8-4C21-B28C-516E9148E7C8.jpeg

4862C3B2-1B89-4A5A-99C7-A31BD457B782.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, Topcollectibles88 said:

is?

No. Sell it to me.

:roflmao:

-- I would get the grader notes to see if there are more reasons for the tape.

Unless you are looking to upgrade it to sell - I would leave it alone.  It does look like there might be some room to upgrade with a press ( and have CCS do an estimate for tape removal) - but I would be worried about the risk of damage on a book this old ( and COOL). 

By default - this already has great eye appeal - it is a Batman 1

1 hour ago, W16227 said:

:roflmao:

-- I would get the grader notes to see if there are more reasons for the tape.

Unless you are looking to upgrade it to sell - I would leave it alone.  It does look like there might be some room to upgrade with a press ( and have CCS do an estimate for tape removal) - but I would be worried about the risk of damage on a book this old ( and COOL). 

By default - this already has great eye appeal - it is a Batman 1

Agreed for leaving it as is. It's 50/50 chance to get luck or misfortune.

I don't normally like purple labels, but this would a good book for that if this was mine.  It presents beautifully as is and would be even better if cleaned up a bit.  The thing I hate about tape is that the adhesive gets nastier and nastier as time goes by and damages the paper even more.  If it weren't for that, I'd leave it alone.

9 hours ago, Brian48 said:

I don't normally like purple labels, but this would a good book for that if this was mine.  It presents beautifully as is and would be even better if cleaned up a bit.  The thing I hate about tape is that the adhesive gets nastier and nastier as time goes by and damages the paper even more.  If it weren't for that, I'd leave it alone.

This is not true. The "damage" is done when the tape is applied.  

And over time, the tape can actually simply turn brittle and fall off, often leaving a brownish stain where the adhesive was.  

-J.

I would leave it alone.

You could send it to a professional that restores and get his opinion on possibly removing it and what effects it would have on the comic. I feel advances over next few years in resto and un-resto will keep advancing that tape removal could be a simpler task where it is now difficult.

Beautiful comic!

Where did the 1.5 brittle sell at?

Edited by lhcomics

I have a copy of Bat 1 that had some old athletic tape on part of the inside spine, which was already split. I sent it to CCS and they removed the tape. Part of the paper on the spine was lost but the front and back cover remained intact. It was done purely to prevent damage to the cover from the tape. Here are before and after images of the front cover.

bat1after.jpg

bat1fc.JPG

Edited by AnkurJ

19 hours ago, thedude said:

Must have been the Stan Lee signature.... I would not have given more than 45K without that........

Stan Lee !!?? WTF !? On a Batman 1 ! Both the guy who had it signed and Stan Lee should be slapped across the head for that one. Seriously. So he was friends with Kane, so F what. What a F joke. :facepalm:

Edited by Gotham Kid

39 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Stan Lee !!?? WTF !? On a Batman 1 ! Both the guy who had it signed and Stan Lee should be slapped across the head for that one. Seriously. So he was friends with Kane, so F what. What a F joke. :facepalm:

Agreed. Luckily it was only on the slab. 

When I 1st saw the post before I realized it was on the outside I was like WTF???????

On 1/11/2018 at 10:38 AM, Topcollectibles88 said:

hello fellow board members!

i wanted to get your opinion on a bat1

cgc 1.5 universal with cream to ow pages

tape completely along spine and comPletely along right edge of book.  And tape completely along left edge back cover.  Not sure why there would be the tape completely along spine as there does not seem to be a complete spine split.  Visually spine looks pretty solid

would it be wise to attempt to remove the tape?  As the book displays beautiful strong colors perhaps removing the tape would possibly take away some of the color? Hence taking away some of the eye appeal.     Hmm thoughts?   Keep as is?   

1C22507E-D6D8-4C21-B28C-516E9148E7C8.jpeg

4862C3B2-1B89-4A5A-99C7-A31BD457B782.jpeg

No, keep it as is. Some collectors, as late as the Bronze Age would tape the spine to "preserve it." I know . . . :insane: