• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got Robbed
3 3

116 posts in this topic

I was robbed at my rental in Surrey B.C. Canada. They stole 8 slabbed books. I called around and reported them stolen. About a week later Central City Comics in Surrey called and told me they had them and they got the ID of who stole them. I called the police and told the first officer(McBride surrey RCMP). He said to get receipts together to prove I owned them. I then got a hold of everyone I bought these books from and got hand written receipts along with the Paypal invoice on when I bought them. Well the first officer was then in a car accident. He was not returning my calls or the comic shops. I then called his superior and he assigned a new officer but that took time. By then the comic store had sold my books. saying they tried to call that officer but got no call back so they sold them and don't know who they sold them too. Does that leave me high and dry? Even though the store knowingly sold them? I do have pictures and invoices?

I don't know how Canada works, but if you have proof of receipt etc with the serial numbers and reported them stolen and found them then they should be legally yours. The LCS would have to contact who sold the comics to them and he or she would need to show proof of receipts.....

12 minutes ago, DustinRidgen said:

I was robbed at my rental in Surrey B.C. Canada. They stole 8 slabbed books. I called around and reported them stolen. About a week later Central City Comics in Surrey called and told me they had them and they got the ID of who stole them. I called the police and told the first officer(McBride surrey RCMP). He said to get receipts together to prove I owned them. I then got a hold of everyone I bought these books from and got hand written receipts along with the Paypal invoice on when I bought them. Well the first officer was then in a car accident. He was not returning my calls or the comic shops. I then called his superior and he assigned a new officer but that took time. By then the comic store had sold my books. saying they tried to call that officer but got no call back so they sold them and don't know who they sold them too. Does that leave me high and dry? Even though the store knowingly sold them? I do have pictures and invoices?

Can the shop not track the people who bought the books by CC#? I find it hard to believe that the  LCS sold all the books cash...

Just now, Pitboss said:

So the LCS knew the books were stolen but sold them anyway? That doesn't sound right to me.

Not at all. I don't know how Canada handles these things, but here once that shop is informed that the books were stolen property they police either impound the items or the shop is told to preserve the items and not transfer or sell them. 

The shop being told they are stolen and then selling them screams to me they might be involved in the theft in some way. 

I don't know Canadian law but on this side of the border they'd be looking at liability. 

1 hour ago, topofthetotem said:

If there is a police report filed the LCS has some splainin’ to do.

It seems they are knowingly trading in stolen property, I’d contact the BBB. 

Yes I called them and told them to watchout for these books. they called me within a week and said they had them. I then filed a police report. the officer got a hold of them but he was hurt on duty.I did not know this till later after calling his superior.He then got another officer on it. By now the comic store already sold the books.Knowing full well they were stolen.

Just now, DustinRidgen said:

Yes I called them and told them to watchout for these books. they called me within a week and said they had them. I then filed a police report. the officer got a hold of them but he was hurt on duty.I did not know this till later after calling his superior.He then got another officer on it. By now the comic store already sold the books.Knowing full well they were stolen.

I suspect they the LCS should be facing charges as well but I don’t know if the police care. 

It sounds to me like the LCS owes you at least current market value of the books.   Not necessarily what they sold them for.  I think they will be lucky if they don't get charged with knowingly selling stolen property.

19 minutes ago, DustinRidgen said:

you got robbed twice

I hope for your sake the police officer who was asking for you to provide proof of ownership proceeded to file them as stolen property before his accident. Your first call should be to the law enforcement agency who filed your stolen property report, and to confirm the report lists those books as being stolen. If such a report exists, then according to what you've stated, Central City Comics in Surrey should not have sold them.

I don't know Dustin personally but he does have a great presence on facebook and I've never seen a bad word said against him. I mentioned to him to ask for the advice off some people on here as I know there are some very clued up individuals on these boards.

I am sure Dustin has described accurately and honestly what has happened. Which only leaves me in disbelief that the LCS would do this.

Be interesting to see how this plays out though

Edited by *matterus023*

So my question is , the Lcs buys them from the thief knowing they are stolen , contacts the OP . Says I have your books and a copy of the guys ID that we bought them off . Then sells the stolen books ? 

see here is the crazy part, I think the police dept can charge the LcS with receiving stolen property, because LCS willing knows when they bought and sold the books that they indeed were stolen “ the definition of receiving stolen property “ 

1 hour ago, Jking3437 said:

So my question is , the Lcs buys them from the thief knowing they are stolen , contacts the OP . Says I have your books and a copy of the guys ID that we bought them off . Then sells the stolen books ? 

see here is the crazy part, I think the police dept can charge the LcS with receiving stolen property, because LCS willing knows when they bought and sold the books that they indeed were stolen “ the definition of receiving stolen property “ 

Maybe not receiving but selling for sure.  Maybe they'd throw in the receiving charge as well since they sold them.

Not everyone is on FaceBook. Were some of the stolen comics an Amaz Spidey #7 Cgc 5.0 2nd Vulture, or raw ASM #6 3.0 1st Lizard with tape on cover? The latter was sold via cr card on Boxing Day Dec. 26/17 sale to a lawyer in Toronto area. :wishluck:

2 hours ago, Couchy81 said:

If the comic store bought them from the thief, and were left holding the bag, they don't get reimbursed when you get them returned. Sounds like hot potato.

In the US --- it is a crazy mix of what is required ( varies by state). Someone posted in a thread about pawn shops and accountability for a stolen goods purchase. I was curious so I did some searching -

Most of what I found was the different levels of ID/tracking the shops have to do when buying goods. If they pick up a stolen item - they are not necessarily required to return it. Many will have to have seller ID information for the police and be required to report .

In many cases - the individual would have to take the pawn shop to civil court to get the item back ( US law state by state).....