• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got Robbed
3 3

116 posts in this topic

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎12 at 10:54 AM, Doktor said:

Based on the timeline here, the store knew when they bought the books that they were stolen (hence why the got ID), which is fine... sorta. It skirts the "receiving stolen property" laws because they were trying to be helpful & probably figured "I'll get my money back when they arrest the guy tomorrow/the next day" & couldn't just hold the guy or the books there waiting for the cops to show up. (or at worst, realized it shortly after buying the books)

Actually, the 2 proprietors of Central City Comix were both trained by their previous boss at Golden Age Collectable of downtown Vancouver to get the seller's I.D. when buying comics or collections. I wonder if any of these sold slabs will show up at local HH con this Sunday for reselling. Would be nice to see a list of all 8 Cgc slabs that were initially stolen from Surrey, BC. :cool: 

2 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Personally, the timeline shouldn't matter much. Ethically, once they knew the comics were stolen, they shouldn't have sold them. The passage of time doesn't make it right. 

Agreed. If everything the OP is saying is true, even the possibility they were stolen, the LCS should have "held" them until it got sorted out.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Actually, the 2 proprietors of Central City Comix were both trained by their previous boss at Golden Age Collectable of downtown Vancouver to get the seller's I.D. when buying comics or collections. I wonder if any of these sold slabs will show up at local HH con this Sunday for reselling. Would be nice to see a list of all 8 Cgc slabs that were initially stolen from Surrey, BC. :cool: 

This 100x. If the OP has a list of books and serial numbers I suggest they be posted.  We can have a lot of eyes looking out for these books.

5 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Personally, the timeline shouldn't matter much. Ethically, once they knew the comics were stolen, they shouldn't have sold them. The passage of time doesn't make it right. 

IMHO it falls into a gray area. It's not right that the LCS sold them knowing they were stolen. But it's not right either that they are expected to  guard and keep safe said property for months.  The OP's story was that the comic book store called the police multiple times asking about the status and received  no reply.  

If the police want the stolen goods looked up for safe keeping for months, they should have taken said goods and put them in the police evidence lock up.  

1 hour ago, Tony S said:
7 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

IMHO it falls into a gray area. It's not right that the LCS sold them knowing they were stolen. But it's not right either that they are expected to  guard and keep safe said property for months.  The OP's story was that the comic book store called the police multiple times asking about the status and received  no reply.  

If the police want the stolen goods looked up for safe keeping for months, they should have taken said goods and put them in the police evidence lock up.  

Was it months?

Personally, what the store did is BS. They had a moral obligation to clear the books before selling them.

Did they contact the owner of the stolen books before they sold them? No.

Completely shady and they should be on the hook.

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

It isn't right that they should be expected to store them, but I don't think anyone did expect them to.  At the point of receiving no information from the cops, they should have either taken them to the station or informed the police they were returning them to the owner.  At no point should they have ever thought it was okay to sell property that was stolen.

17 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Was it months?

Personally, what the store did is BS. They had a moral obligation to clear the books before selling them.

Aardvark, greggy, myself and it would seem fanboy are all local and know the proprietors.     They have always been high character people, and we are only getting one side of the story.

Let's step back.    Maybe what the OP said is accurate, maybe its not, maybe its half-accurate.    We don't know and let's not drag the shop's name through the mud because they have a history in the local area that goes back probably 25 years if you include the time they were known at Golden Age.      I don't know what happened here, but I think very well of them and I hesitate - refuse really -  to just believe this at face value without knowing more.

Edited by Bronty

26 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Was it months?

Agreed, knowingly selling stolen items makes them a fence and I don't believe they acted legally or morally.  And they were motivated to sell the books as they'd likely be on the hook if the money they paid for the books isn't recovered.

13 hours ago, Tony S said:

There's no grey area at all. Selling knowingly stolen goods is wrong if it's a day or a week or a month or a year after you get made aware of it. And until any sort of statute of limitations runs out, it's also a crime.

17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Was it months?

Yes, it was months. Two months exactly according to a post by another boardie that saw the initial post on Facebook. 

The OP has TWO posts here on the boards. They showed up, made this complaint and have not been back.  Other long term boardies have vouched for the character of the store owners and pointed out we are only getting one side of the story.  And there are holes in that story.  Things that don't make sense

I choose to remain skeptical until more is known. 

Edited by Tony S

6 hours ago, comicparadox said:

Agree with Bronty.

We are hearing only one side of the story.

I have no dog in the fight, but the original poster has made posts as far as I can tell only pertinent to this particular issue.

54 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Yes, it was months. Two months exactly according to a post by another boardie that saw the initial post on Facebook. 

The OP has TWO posts here on the boards. They showed up, made this complaint and have not been back.  Other long term boardies have vouched for the character of the store owners and pointed out we are only getting one side of the story.  And there are holes in that story.  Things that don't make sense

I choose to remain skeptical until more is known. 

Fair points. I skimmed the thread quickly but I give a lot of weight to the BC boardies that I respect.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:08 PM, paperheart said:

you got robbed twice

Well, Yesterday I received a call from the RCMP saying he had my books,And to call him right away. I went to meet him last night and He said. "The comic store wants you to have your books back". They are done with me and my "Facebook Friends" He told me "This ends here, The comic store is done with the whole situation" He said he didnt know how I did it or how people from all over the world responded to this situation. So last night I was given all of my books stolen. I wanna thank you all for the support! Its been one hell of a roller coaster.

10 minutes ago, DustinRidgen said:

Well, Yesterday I received a call from the RCMP saying he had my books,And to call him right away. I went to meet him last night and He said. "The comic store wants you to have your books back". They are done with me and my "Facebook Friends" He told me "This ends here, The comic store is done with the whole situation" He said he didnt know how I did it or how people from all over the world responded to this situation. So last night I was given all of my books stolen. I wanna thank you all for the support! Its been one hell of a roller coaster.

:whatthe::applause: