• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em
13 13

897 posts in this topic

Sales Tax will definitely be putting a damper on any future Comiclink wins I'd hoped to post here. Went to checkout my most recent win and found out I'm now being charged 7.9% WA sales tax on any shipments sent to my mailbox in Point Roberts (same as with Heritage). The whole reason I'd set up the mailbox was to try to avoid Comiclink's $70 shipping charge to Canada. I was paying $50 less for 1-3 comics to my mailbox, but the sales tax added on basically blows that option out of the water. I hear the sales tax will soon be applied to all eBay wins also. :sorry:

Edited by Black_Adam

3 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Sales Tax will definitely be putting a damper on any future Comiclink wins I'd hoped to post here. Went to checkout my most recent win and found out I'm now being charged 7.9% WA sales tax on any shipments sent to my mailbox in Point Roberts (same as with Heritage). The whole reason I'd set up the mailbox was to try to avoid Comiclink's $70 shipping charge to Canada. I was paying $50 less for 1-3 comics to my mailbox, but the sales tax added on basically blows that option out of the water. I hear the sales tax will soon be applied to all eBay wins also. :sorry:

If what you're saying is true, then sales tax should make a noticeable dent in the hammer prices on books across the board.  So the question then (assuming these sites will use each buyer's local state sales tax) will be whether bidders in low-tax states will have a demonstrable advantage in winning auctions.

5 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

If what you're saying is true, then sales tax should make a noticeable dent in the hammer prices on books across the board.  So the question then (assuming these sites will use each buyer's local state sales tax) will be whether bidders in low-tax states will have a demonstrable advantage in winning auctions.

CL is now charging sales tax in Illinois now too. It does put me at a bit of a disadvantage. I don't see myself buying much from them going forward.

41 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Oh, it's true. The following is quoted from Comiclink's Terms and Conditions:

1. Lots are subject to all applicable state and local taxes, unless properly completed resale certificates are on file with ComicLink. User agrees to pay ComicLink the actual amount of tax due in the event that sales tax is not properly collected. The appropriate sales tax exemption form or certificate must be on file at and verified by ComicLink five (5) days prior to the close of an auction or tax must be paid; only if such form or certificate is received by ComicLink within four (4) days after the Auction can a refund of tax paid be made. Lots from different Auctions may not be aggregated for sales tax purposes. Sales tax is currently charged for shipments made to the following states: IL, MD, ME, MI, MN, NJ, WA, WI.

So if you are bidding from the eight states listed, you will have to pay more if you want to win than those bidding from other locales. 

12 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Oh, it's true. The following is quoted from Comiclink's Terms and Conditions:

1. Lots are subject to all applicable state and local taxes, unless properly completed resale certificates are on file with ComicLink. User agrees to pay ComicLink the actual amount of tax due in the event that sales tax is not properly collected. The appropriate sales tax exemption form or certificate must be on file at and verified by ComicLink five (5) days prior to the close of an auction or tax must be paid; only if such form or certificate is received by ComicLink within four (4) days after the Auction can a refund of tax paid be made. Lots from different Auctions may not be aggregated for sales tax purposes. Sales tax is currently charged for shipments made to the following states: IL, MD, ME, MI, MN, NJ, WA, WI.

So if you are bidding from the eight states listed, you will have to pay more if you want to win than those bidding from other locales. 

Thanks for the info.

I got nothing. There was only one book I was motivated to go for with a $500+ price. However, I was so annoyed by the lack of back cover I said to heck with it. It was too late to email for a scan when I saw the listing, and people shouldn't have to ask for one at that price range anyway.

Can you guys breakdown comiclink for me? I wanna get a book for my wife for christmas. Does Comiclink already have the books or does the seller have to send to them and and the CL send to me? I just wanna be sure I have enough time to get it here. HA has the book as well but I gotta call them to get my address changed since I got stationed back in the US again. 

37 minutes ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

Can you guys breakdown comiclink for me? I wanna get a book for my wife for christmas. Does Comiclink already have the books or does the seller have to send to them and and the CL send to me? I just wanna be sure I have enough time to get it here. HA has the book as well but I gotta call them to get my address changed since I got stationed back in the US again. 

In the auctions - ComicLink already has the books but it does take quite a bit for them to ship the book out.  I've heard people have good results if they pay for the book while the auction is ongoing.  Shipping is $20 for 1 slab so keep that in mind.

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

In the auctions - ComicLink already has the books but it does take quite a bit for them to ship the book out.  I've heard people have good results if they pay for the book while the auction is ongoing.  Shipping is $20 for 1 slab so keep that in mind.

The book I was wanting to pick up had a buy it now price on it. I saw the $20 price and it brought it to the same price as HA so either place would be fine unless I haven't used either place since I've been overseas the last 4 years. 

@TheWatcher noticed this and its happening to me as well....did you guys get any email notifications about the tracking Bids you placed in this auction ? He & I have not - we are only getting the Outbid notification emails.

Typically you get an email confirming your Bid as well as an email when you have been outbid and one if you win the lot.

Anyone else not getting their Bid email notifications?

-bc

25 minutes ago, bc said:

@TheWatcher noticed this and its happening to me as well....did you guys get any email notifications about the tracking Bids you placed in this auction ? He & I have not - we are only getting the Outbid notification emails.

Typically you get an email confirming your Bid as well as an email when you have been outbid and one if you win the lot.

-bc

That would be nice - the bid notifications are a pure nuisance.  Hopefully, they are gone, but if not, they should at least allow you to turn the dam things off.

1 hour ago, bc said:

-bc

I just heard back from CLink CS and it appears that they decided to  stop sending out bid confirmation emails. Would've been nice if they let us know that beforehand, but there you have it

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

That would be nice - the bid notifications are a pure nuisance.  Hopefully, they are gone, but if not, they should at least allow you to turn the dam things off.

Yup, especially when they give you an email every time you bid regardless if you are the top bidder or not.