• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em
13 13

897 posts in this topic

A back scan should always be included, even if it’s pristine. Why not? Laziness? Requires too much storage? Some books might sell for less lowering commission? I can’t think of a single reason that’s excusable...especially considering they’re getting 10% to facilitate a transaction...knowing what you’re buying is kind of important in a transaction...

Especially in the lower grades, not all books of a given grade are created equal, and the decision to buy can depend a great deal on the buyer's subjective perception of eye appeal.  When there is a defect that glaring and unusual, that falls well outside the normal boundary of "a 3.5 is a 3.5" ... you have to let buyers see it so they can decide if they're OK with it.

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

When not providing a back cover scan so obviously masks a pretty significant flaw, I have an issue with it.  I get that it's 3rd party graded, but I think as an auction house that is providing a service to consignors AND buyers, it seems appropriate to include back cover scans in specific situations.  I'm not saying they should offer returns on EVERY slab, but somebody should at least investigate the requests before outright refusing any return. (shrug) 

I certainly agree that not including the back cover scan is a poor business decision.  The OP might be so turned off by the experience that he doesn't bid in their auctions.  Plus with that bindery defect it probably tops out at a 3.0 using Overstreet criteria.  I get that, but to offer returns on slabbed books would open pandora's box and ultimately hurt the marketability of comics.  

On 4/20/2018 at 8:38 PM, ThothAmon said:

I guess I disagree with you both.  First off it's a CGC 3.5 so it's supposed to be low grade.  As far as accepting returns I know from personal experience that Heritage doesn't accept them either.  Can't really blame them when the item is third party graded and they also have the interests of the sellers to look out for.  Think of slabs as bearer bonds.

Yes, it's supposed to be low grade; but if the grade is given as 3.5 and no other notes are given, I'm going to assume that it was given a low grade due to the "normal" wear and tear commensurate to the grade, and not due to some freakish miscut. This is a clear cut (well, the book wasn't clear cut, but you get the idea) example of an extraordinary flaw that MUST be shown or explained first. I'm not saying they should have a blanket policy allowing slabs to be returned. I'm saying that in this particular case they should accept a return because their listing was, at best, lazy, and at worst, deliberately misleading.

20 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

A back scan should always be included, even if it’s pristine. Why not? Laziness? Requires too much storage? Some books might sell for less lowering commission? I can’t think of a single reason that’s excusable...especially considering they’re getting 10% to facilitate a transaction...knowing what you’re buying is kind of important in a transaction...

I imagine it is time. The vast majority of stuff they handle is third-party graded, so it is what it is. If they have to scan 2,000 books it takes twice as long to scan the back covers, and it won't matter materially to most books for many buyers for maybe 95% of those. They make the calculated risk to save the time and it probably usually works unless there is a significant back cover flaw like this one.

20 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Managed to win a couple more pre-hero books this evening that I wasn’t expecting. Very pleasantly surprised that these bids held up. 

EFCD14E7-A6B0-4C5C-89E1-9CD4432EB4EB.jpeg

BED8A75B-B052-4CAF-8783-CBC76FF37125.jpeg

Nice pickups M :headbang:

And yes, won my book with a bid I placed earlier today...everyone must be doing something else.

I completed my PHM set tonight...more pics in that forum tomorrow...

-bc

9 hours ago, bc said:

Nice pickups M :headbang:

And yes, won my book with a bid I placed earlier today...everyone must be doing something else.

I completed my PHM set tonight...more pics in that forum tomorrow...

-bc

Glad you got it! Care to share? :baiting:

Yes, everyone must have been following the NFL draft or seeing Infinity War. I got that pair of ST for what I figured the #61 should go for. I’m thrilled, but I poured out a beer for the person who consigned them. 

Edited by mysterio

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Too many auctions - too close together.  Auction fatigue.

Also this. I didn’t think it would affect tough late 50s Atlas the way it apparently has, but apparently it has. Good for buyers, bad for sellers.