• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Giant Size X-Men 1

6 posts in this topic

Production creases, crimps, crunches are a way of life on this issue, any other manufacturer with exacting tolerances of quality control would have to either retool or toss 95% of the books coming off the line into the trash.

The big plus here is that the staples don't poke through the cover, front or back. The majority of them do, so you're a leg up here right away with eye-appeal desireability.

Spine has all the lettering and on my monitor it appears that the letters are not fractured. Another big plus. I only see what might be a few stresses on the spine, but the art work of this book has some break in that black line ordinarily, so I can't tell for sure if there are transverse wear/rack stresses. The line does fade in areas in normal production, so again, there may or may not be some rubbing at mid-spine, in this image I can't tell for sure.

The major thing I see is rounded corners and again, a lot of these were produced that way, some square at the corners, some rounded, there's lots of latitude in production on these.

Looks like a real nice book and super-desirable as explained why so for lack of being able to rotate it in my hand to catch the light at different angles across the surface, I'd give it a 9.0. Great colors and no transparency, again, rare for this issue.

Real nice catch.

At least 7 grades higher than my copy! :bigsmile:

Interesting what James said about some of them coming with rounded corners. I haven't seen lots of these to get a feeling for it.

My cover is rice paper thin and would love to upgrade.

16 minutes ago, Alf Pogs said:

At least 7 grades higher than my copy! :bigsmile:

Interesting what James said about some of them coming with rounded corners. I haven't seen lots of these to get a feeling for it.

My cover is rice paper thin and would love to upgrade.

They tend to get those triangular shaped bits of paper pulled off the corners in production. From the front, the narrowing at those points gives the impression of rounding because of the paper loss flattening out what should be a square area.