• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breakout Characters of 2018?

17 posts in this topic

Speculating on the Big 2 is such a shoot. They have so many new characters all the time and so many in the bank they can use.

DC has been on fire the last 4 months. Lots of not only new characters but stories that sell. BUT many have been one week spikes. Is Metal long term? I think yes, a decade from now.

Im looking at Spawn and Black Mirror / Cyan (whatever she becomes). Personally I really like the story and art. It's lower print to boot.

Edited by ygogolak

Agree on the DC side, Batman Who Laughs has biggest potential to get its own book (or continue the story in some way). He’s been huge. 

On Marvel side, Weapon H is getting his own book (TA Hulk 22 still holding its value), so has a chance to breakout if the book does well. 

Spider Gwen.  There's a new Netflix series in the works.  She's popular right now but could reach Harley Quinn level if things work out.

My sleeper pick would be Grail.  She's actually a decent character.  With all the women empowerment movement right now it wouldn't surprise me if comics start pushing more female characters to the forefront in 2018.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Spider Gwen.  There's a new Netflix series in the works.  She's popular right now but could reach Harley Quinn level if things work out.

My sleeper pick would be Grail.  She's actually a decent character.  With all the women empowerment movement right now it wouldn't surprise me if comics start pushing more female characters to the forefront in 2018.

Good calls on both - personally   Weapon H and Batman who laughs both seem a bit hokey - but I see hulk having a more lasting impression - I’m really very surprised on how well received the whole metal series was . What about “ Neo - Joker “? Same realm ?

I recommend Dominic Fortune in Marvel Preview #2 (?) mag and Marvel Premiere comics who is part of the Silver Sable back story and could take off with the 'Silver and Black'(cat) movie. If Black Panther movie #2 introduces the villain Klaw, the master of sound, then FF #56(?) will surge up.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:16 AM, aardvark88 said:

I recommend Dominic Fortune in Marvel Preview #2 (?) mag and Marvel Premiere comics who is part of the Silver Sable back story and could take off with the 'Silver and Black'(cat) movie. If Black Panther movie #2 introduces the villain Klaw, the master of sound, then FF #56(?) will surge up.

Klaw is already pretty well established in the MCU, first in Avengers: Age of Ultron and next in Black Panther about to be released. His first appearance is FF #53.