• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish #13 (first groot) cgc 8.0 value?

21 posts in this topic

Hello.   I think I know the answer to my own question, that a comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I think I have a rare one here and that there is no true market value set for it at this time.   A 9.2 sold for over 80,000 in 2017.   An 8.0 (restored) sold for 10,500 in 2017.   No other sales all time recorded for this book with a grade this high.   Just sent mine off and it’s already been graded.   8.0 universal, not restored.   CGC census says there is 1 9.4, 1 9.2, 5 8.5’s, and 2 8.0’s (mine included and the other one was restored).   Anyone have a clue what I might be able to fetch for mine?   I’m thinking 20,000-35,000?

Edited by Sam 1983
Mis spelled cgc

7 hours ago, Sam 1983 said:

Hello.   I think I know the answer to my own question, that a comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but I think I have a rare one here and that there is no true market value set for it at this time.   A 9.2 sold for over 80,000 in 2017.   An 8.0 (restored) sold for 10,500 in 2017.   No other sales all time recorded for this book with a grade this high.   Just sent mine off and it’s already been graded.   8.0 universal, not restored.   CGC census says there is 1 9.4, 1 9.2, 5 8.5’s, and 2 8.0’s (mine included and the other one was restored).   Anyone have a clue what I might be able to fetch for mine?   I’m thinking 20,000-35,000?

First off, financial questions such as yours is usually frowned upon here. The thought is you should do your own homework. Others pay for services that provide sales data = you should not be asking for it free here. The 8.0 sale in May 2017 for 10,500 was for a universal book, not for a restored book. Not sure where you saw it ? There is currently an 8.0 restored on CLink, asking for 2,750 with no takers. With a book like this, that had a huge bump for the movie hype, you have to look at more recent sales as the hype dies down.The May 2017 is the most recent.  In summary, I don't think you will get anywhere close to 20 - 30 K. Sorry.

Bomber.   I’m posting this in the newbie section because I’m a newbie. First off, I feel that part should be rhetorically understood.   I did not know it was wrong to ask for others opinions, as it seems like most posts on all boards are asking for opinions of others.   Why should my question be treated differently?   I think it’s obvious I have done some homework, based on everything I posted in my original statement.   I saw the CGC census had 2 8.0’s all time and one was restored and since mine was not, I figured the other one that sold was the restored one.  Like I had originally posted, this specific book does not seem to have enough out there for there to be a truly set market.   That’s why I was seeking advice.   Please help me and others to feel welcomed in to the geek world instead of shunning.   

7 minutes ago, Sam 1983 said:

Bomber.   I’m posting this in the newbie section because I’m a newbie. First off, I feel that part should be rhetorically understood.   I did not know it was wrong to ask for others opinions, as it seems like most posts on all boards are asking for opinions of others.   Why should my question be treated differently?   I think it’s obvious I have done some homework, based on everything I posted in my original statement.   I saw the CGC census had 2 8.0’s all time and one was restored and since mine was not, I figured the other one that sold was the restored one.  Like I had originally posted, this specific book does not seem to have enough out there for there to be a truly set market.   That’s why I was seeking advice.   Please help me and others to feel welcomed in to the geek world instead of shunning.   

No problem.  My comment about asking for financial advice was simply an FYI for future reference. The Boards love to help with grading, slabbing advice, etc. There is no rule against asking for financial info, just frowned upon. Okay, I see why you thought the 10,500 sale of an 8.0  was a restored book and I can explain what happened. First off, the 10,500 sale was for a Universal, not a resto. This same book, the book that sold for 10,500 was resubbed. Though we don't know the new grade, it was different than an 8.0. You can tell this fact by looking up the cert of 10,500 book, it was removed from the system. If someone resubs a book in the old slab, CGC removes the old grade from the census. At this point, there is still two 8.0's, yours and a restored.  Without knowing how your book looks, page quality, centering, writing, stamps, etc. I would have to say it would probably not even match the 10,500 . Obviously the 8.0 selling for 10,500 was helped by the upgrade potential. If your book does not have any upgrade potential, it will probably sell for less. CR/OW pages, it will probably sell for less. Writing on cover, it will probably sell for less. I am not dissing your book, I haven't even seen it. I'm just saying, unless your book is outrageously strong for the grade, it will sell for less. It may come close to 10K but not exceed. Of course, this is all my opinion but remember, you asked for opinions. Show us a pic !

Thanks Bomber!   I really appreciate the comment and that’s exactly the kind of stuff I’m looking to learn.    I will submit one in the next couple of days for sure and hopefully you or someone else can advise me.  

Edited by Sam 1983

8 minutes ago, Sam 1983 said:

Thanks Bomber!   I really appreciate the comment and that’s exactly the kind of stuff I’m looking to learn.    I will submit one in the next couple of days for sure and hopefully you or someone else can advise me.  

Sounds like a plan. Also, realize that as the CGC census is populated on the high end, the 'rarity' factor declines. It wasn't that long ago that the highest graded was a 9.2, now there is a 9.4 . The 9.2 that realized an 80K price was due to the fact that it was the highest graded, not because it was 9.2. A new 9.2 to market today would not sniff 80K . A couple years ago an 8.0 probably only had two copies above it, now there are seven. This factors into the price. To accurately realize the FMV of your book, you will have to put it in auction and let the market decide. Trying to ascertain a price and listing it as such is not a wise move. You have a great book, still in demand, still tough in high grade. However, it's no longer movie 'hot' , nor rare in high grade. Looking forward to seeing your book.

your book is very valuable, congratulations,  FYI the 9.2 sale is suspicious from "sell my comics" .. 

• CGC 9.2: $80,299 (fake sale with shill bidding on eBay and no feedback exchanged)

comparable sales are hard to find, it seems your idea of value is in the ballpark, I would definitely contact the larger auction houses

On 1/13/2018 at 8:42 PM, Sam 1983 said:

Thanks for the pics. It's a nice clean book with OW pages. BTW, as I thought, the CGC census was updated this weekend to include your book. There are now 3 8.0's, two Universals and one restored. I think your book will do fine in the right auction, in the ball park of the last 8.0 sale of 10.5K. I could see it going as high as 12K. Good luck ! 

Thanks everyone.    I bought comics as a kid (between the years of 1990-1995).   Then I got away from it but I got back in to it a couple years ago after I insured the owner of a local comic shop (yep, insurance agent here).   I bought this puppy April 2017 for 4,000 so I think I made out good on the deal.   Now I just need to figure out if I want to sell or hold.   It’s scarce and will always be pretty scarce so if Groot’s character continues to gain popularity, it should continue to increase in value.   I think it has a high floor also because of its rarity but I’m a rookie and trying to figure it out.   

17 hours ago, Sam 1983 said:

Thanks everyone.    I bought comics as a kid (between the years of 1990-1995).   Then I got away from it but I got back in to it a couple years ago after I insured the owner of a local comic shop (yep, insurance agent here).   I bought this puppy April 2017 for 4,000 so I think I made out good on the deal.   Now I just need to figure out if I want to sell or hold.   It’s scarce and will always be pretty scarce so if Groot’s character continues to gain popularity, it should continue to increase in value.   I think it has a high floor also because of its rarity but I’m a rookie and trying to figure it out.   

How many more movies do you think will include Groot? How much MORE popular can he get?  What would have to happen for him to get MORE popular?  will he be more popular AFTER the movies are over?  meanwhile other people (like you) might be getting back into comics and finding/slabbing them or old people are dying off and selling collections and more and more of these might be slabbed.  One of the 'issues' with scarce books is that someone adding just a few to the census can affect the price dramatically, especially in higher grades (this might have been mentioned above).

I'm not saying you should sell now, I'm just saying make sure you try to get the full picture and try to consider as many variables as possible.   

19 hours ago, Sam 1983 said:

Yes, you did very well. You are correct, it will always be pretty scarce but no longer rare. If more high grade copies hit the census, it makes it less scarce. Outside of future GOTG movies, I don't think Groot will be a major player in the future . I can't see a movie focused on him . I think he is as popular now, as he will ever get. Having said all that, I would keep it for now. If you do sell it, to maximize return, put it in auction.

it was a very foolish mistake cost wise for the studios to hire Vin Diesel to play Groot in the first movie (and second if he was in it ,..i didn't see the second) 

basically a non speaking part and anyone could have been behind that costume and makeup , he was unrecognizable ,.. the studios easily could have hired just a plain extra to play the part of Groot and saved millions of dollars (10 million salary.??) ,,, if there are future movies i am sure they will....

War Comics.   He was in the second movie as Baby Groot (still with Diesel) and the movie was pretty good and Groot was a major focus of the movie.    Somehow they continue to make a non speaking tree mutant monster integral to the story line.    May continue.   May not.   Personally, I believe they are saying in the first movie (although he appeared large), he was still considered young.    I have a feeling he may begin to speak as he grows older in future movies (similar to how he speaks in Tales to Astonish 13) but I’m totally speculating.   However if I’m correct, it might open the door to growth for his character.   Also, Gaurdians of the Galaxy are about to appear in the Avengers movies.   

Edited by Sam 1983