• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I hosed?

49 posts in this topic

To follow up on this for anyone monitoring this thread, I was finally able to talk to CGC customer service today. The lady on the phone was nice and pretty helpful. She directed me to the graders notes, which she read to me and don't seem to capture the new defect that is now present on the book. Not sure what that means? Anyway, she provided her email address and advised to send photos and explanation, which I will do now. Will follow up with this thread when/if I receive a reply.

Hi Everyone, as promised when I posted this, I wanted to just do a quick follow up and status on this issue. As mentioned, on 1/23/18, per CGC's direction, I took the time to put together a detailed email along with images, information, dates, and all of the items requested when I spoke to their service person on the phone. 

Today is 3/4/18 and I have not heard anything from CGC. At this point, they clearly and obviously damaged my book and charged me for it, asked me to take time out to put together a detailed email re-explaining what I had told them on the phone and then they promptly ignored me. Apparently, the request to email the details is a good way to get customers off the phone when the conversation becomes uncomfortable. I have no reason to believe that they had any intention to take action or even have a discussion.

So... in summary and in response to the original question posed by my thread, "Am I Hosed?". The answer is YES. I trusted CGC with my books, paid them quite a bit of money for a service which they didn't stand behind. That is the bottom line.

Ouch, that does sting.  Especially with a higher value book.  Unfortunately, your story is not an isolated case.  The nightmares we've personally witnessed such as popped staples on books sent in that didn't have popped staples or impact dents to corners of books that we graded 9.6 or better.  The worse scenario I recall was a number of years ago when we submitted a Journey into Mystery #83 that we graded 6.0 and when the grade came back 2.5 we couldn't wait to get the book in our hands to inspect it and the cover was detached.  When that book left our hands the staples were firmly secured to the cover.  

No resolution ever came of it.

But what can you do?  You cry foul, they can simply deny, deny, deny.  There is no accountability and too quick to shift blame to anyone but their "careful" quality control.

8 hours ago, roostir said:

As mentioned, on 1/23/18, per CGC's direction, I took the time to put together a detailed email along with images, information, dates, and all of the items requested when I spoke to their service person on the phone.  Today is 3/4/18 and I have not heard anything from CGC.

I too would be anxious for a reply from CGC, however, I think you picked a bad week to contact them. This weekend, March 1 - 4, they are doing a convention in Seattle, Washington, with Onsite grading.  Onsite grading means most of the staff is gone for the entire week. Also, they have to get the encapsulation machines to the site, not sure but I think they haul them in a truck. Going from the Southeast to the Northwest is a long way and they  probably had to get there on Wednesday if the show started on Thursday. All this means they get way behind on everything, especially TAT on books. I suspect you will hear back from them but probably not for another week.  Sorry. 

11 hours ago, roostir said:

Hi Everyone, as promised when I posted this, I wanted to just do a quick follow up and status on this issue. As mentioned, on 1/23/18, per CGC's direction, I took the time to put together a detailed email along with images, information, dates, and all of the items requested when I spoke to their service person on the phone. 

Today is 3/4/18 and I have not heard anything from CGC. At this point, they clearly and obviously damaged my book and charged me for it, asked me to take time out to put together a detailed email re-explaining what I had told them on the phone and then they promptly ignored me. Apparently, the request to email the details is a good way to get customers off the phone when the conversation becomes uncomfortable. I have no reason to believe that they had any intention to take action or even have a discussion.

So... in summary and in response to the original question posed by my thread, "Am I Hosed?". The answer is YES. I trusted CGC with my books, paid them quite a bit of money for a service which they didn't stand behind. That is the bottom line.

I would take it easy. I think they will get back to you. The fact that they do not have the damage issue mentioned in the grader notes is a huge tell (it would definitely be listed). If CGC somehow is responsible they will 100 percent Stand behind the mistake. I also think that the presser you used is a stand up guy as well.  My opinion.

I'm a bit confused. So the book is currently a 9.0 and there is no mention of the damage in the graders notes, correct? Doesn't that mean the damage is not factored into the 9.0 and the book is currently over-graded in that holder?

The way the OP described the condition when he sent it in made it seem like it was NM/NM+ and then the damage brought it down to a 9.0. 

Thanks for chiming in everyone! In response to a few folks..

1. Bomber_Bob & Paul747: I see what you're saying about their busy schedule recently for CGC, but I emailed them on January 23 (about 6 weeks ago). Do you really feel that they would need more time to reply? Truthfully, I'm not that familiar with this company or their response times, but in the normal world of service and response times that I am familiar with, this would be an unacceptable glacial pace. Who knows?

2. Dr. Love: I believe $1000? It was done by the presser. No private Insurance

3. Foley: Yeah..I'm confused on that too. Again the graders notes were read to me over the phone very briefly. Not sure I caught it all or understood it all accurately.

4. Pug productions: Gremlins maybe? Well, I've only owned this one copy of WD#1, so? I inspected it when I received it and it obviously didn't have a big gouge in the corner. I thought the seller had an accurate description of the condition including "sharp corners" (as covered in the original post).

5. Foley: No lotion is going to rub this out!  :-)

2 hours ago, bighairjer said:

This is baffling me:

67075795-DD33-428D-A771-964F9BEBE5CE.jpeg

Nice catch. It does not appear to be the same comic . However, the second pic was taken at an angle and maybe that caused an optical illusion.

I took the book out of the slab today and observed a few issues that I will share with everyone in the next few days. 

Here is a magnified picture of the area with the most damage.

wd1.JPG

As I suspected all the paper is present. I simply folded over what I could with my fingers just to take an "in-between" photo. I will have a post pressing one tomorrow. 

wd11.JPG