• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I hosed?

49 posts in this topic

Just a quick follow up on this thread (sorry for the delay). In working with Joey at cfpcomics.com, he was able to determine the likely cause of the damage being that the book was dropped after it was encapsulated. Again, when it was shipped to me, it was in the middle of a stack of 11 books and neither the postal box or any other books were damaged. Anyway... Joey was able to work on the book to make dramatic improvements. It had appeared to me that there was a piece missing, but it was in fact crumpled and was able to be straightened out. Joey expertly predicted and resolved this issues along with some of the other things going on with the book. After all was said and done, it came back with a 9.4. All things considered, I am very happy with the results and it was a real pleasure working with Joey and cfpcomics to resolve these issues. Unfortunately, I can't say that I am as pleased with CGC. I believe this damage happened while the book was under their care. I followed their instructions from the phone call and emailed them the images along with the record of events and...... They never replied.

Edited by roostir

15 minutes ago, roostir said:

Just a quick follow up on this thread (sorry for the delay). In working with Joey at cfpcomics.com, he was able to determine the likely cause of the damage being that the book was dropped after it was encapsulated. Again, when it was shipped to me, it was in the middle of a stack of 11 books and neither the postal box or any other books were damaged. Anyway... Joey was able to work on the book to make dramatic improvements. It had appeared to me that there was a piece missing, but it was in fact crumpled and was able to be straightened out. Joey expertly predicted and resolved this issues along with some of the other things going on with the book. After all was said and done, it came back with a 9.4. All things considered, I am very happy with the results and it was a real pleasure working with Joey and cfpcomics to resolve these issues. Unfortunately, I can't say that I am as pleased with CGC. I believe this damage happened while the book was under their care. I followed their instructions from the phone call and emailed them the images along with the record of events and...... They never replied.

Kudos to Joey for salvaging the best grade possible from all of this.  (thumbsu However, I'm still not convinced this was CGC's fault. It was graded 9.0, which tells me the book had the damage when they received it, not post grading on the return trip to you. IMO, the blame should go to Hero's Restoration, NOT CGC.  I understand CGC did not get back to you. Their non response was their way of saying it was not their fault. They are very good at accepting responsibility and if they felt it was their fault, IMO, they would have done something.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, joeypost said:

After pressing. Lays flat, but unfortunate color break. This is under high magnification. To the naked eye looks worlds better.

IMG_0362.thumb.JPG.8d5ee9aa3eb803e5e185aae2d67ee946.JPG

Welcome to the micro-world! Nice job, sir...

On 3/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, roostir said:

Wow! Looks quite a bit better

As an additional comment, you reached out to the original presser, Hero's Restoration, and they apparently took no responsibility with no offer of assistance. IMO, they should have said 'send it back to us and let's see if we can help'. Perhaps, CGC via CCS, should have said the same thing. I think you are seeing the personalized service of Joey here. He is an active member of the Boards, always reachable, always helpful, and within driving distance of CGC. I always refrain from recommending Joey on these Boards because it always turns into a Kudos thread. I am making an exception here because this was an exceptional example of great service. Good job Joey !

2 minutes ago, Gaard said:

This is an unacceptable way of doing business. IMO

I think taking that one sentence out of context does not give the correct feel to my statement. 'Their non response was their way of saying it was not their fault. They are very good at accepting responsibility and if they felt it was their fault, IMO, they would have done something.'

The OP did communicate with CGC, they were receptive to his inquiry. However, after presenting his case, they did not offer him anything. Had they felt it was their bad, I'm sure they would have done something. Assuming they are insanely busy at CGC, I think they realize that a negative response from them would invite further discussion. The non response is their way of ending a conversation that is going nowhere. I'm not saying it's a good approach, but I understand it.

one other suggestion I will make:

If you have good images of the book before you sent it for grading and pressing make sure you do a very good comparison of the before and the after books to ensure we are dealing with the same book.