• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR 45 cooling off? FF 52 red hot?
4 4

132 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2018 at 5:35 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I would just humbly suggest that we all take a moment to try to get inside the mindset of the folks who feel such a powerful race-based affinity for this movie -- which features not only a mostly black cast, but also a predominantly black creative team who are telling a story about an idealized African nation that is simultaneously steeped in a glorious past and firmly poised to seize an equally glorious future.    It's a beautiful thing.

Plus, the reviews seem to indicate that it's a legitimately great movie.  If it has the commercial success that is expected, it puts the lie to decades-old assumptions about what kinds of movies will sell, and therefore could set off a seismic shift in what kinds of movies get produced.  The implications are worthy of every bit of the hype this film is getting.

I totally understand the wish that our society could be perfectly color-blind ... but as long as we live in a society that isn't, we all need to make the effort to understand, as best we can, what it's like to be in the shoes of people of other backgrounds and experiences.

Submitted humbly and with no judginess.  Honest.

Perfectly said. 

On February 22, 2018 at 3:06 PM, KirbyJack said:

I'm happy with any attention Fantastic Four can draw. More collectors should be seeking out these issues! The meat of the FF run really starts at 35, but 44 thru 67 are all masterworks! If you haven't yet, you need to read these comics.

Don't want to plunk down money for an omnibus and those are too clumsy to read anyhow, any TBP (color, not B&W) suggestions for those issues cause I'm embarrassed to say I've not read them and I believe folks that say they are great. Damn I need to read more.

Edited by NoMan

On 2/17/2018 at 2:48 AM, makeminemego said:

Film music, whether it be a traditional original score or rehashed popular music (like The Immigrant Song in Ragnarok), is used to create a hook between the viewer and the moving images.  To think that music used in a movie or even just a trailer ISN'T a draw for a cross section of the public-ranging from enthusiasts to passers by-is short sighted.  

Film score and orchestral enthusiasts definitely go out of their way to see movies scored by composers like Alexandre Desplat.  

Have to agree that music is a critical element to help put you in the seat and also help put you in the seat again as a repeat viewer in the theatre and eventually with Blu-Ray sales.  

How does it get you in the seats?  Someone mentioned the Thor trailer.  When I heard that music agains those visuals I got instant goose bumps and I knew i was seeing that movie.  

How does it get you back?  We respond to emotional connections and music does that better than almost anything.  Anyone who sat in a theatre as kid and watched Star Wars with John Williams score knew there was something spectacular happening with the combination of visuals and thrilling sounds.  Star Wars redefined movie success with the amount of repeat customers seeing the movie 3 and 4 times not just once or twice.  Great music sells products, movies, and even relationships.  It's a powerful tool.  

10 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Don't want to plunk down money for an omnibus and those are too clumsy to read anyhow, any TBP (color, not B&W) suggestions for those issues cause I'm embarrassed to say I've not read them and I believe folks that say they are great. Damn I need to read more.

Sign up for Marvel Digital Unlimited.  You get access to the entire FF run and yes 35-67 is a master class in brilliant comic writing and art.  It loses a little due to passage of time... but not much. 

12 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Sign up for Marvel Digital Unlimited.  You get access to the entire FF run and yes 35-67 is a master class in brilliant comic writing and art.  It loses a little due to passage of time... but not much. 

Thanks for the info

i guess i'm gonna have to do the reading sh*t on the computer thing… :sorry:

43 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Thanks for the info

i guess i'm gonna have to do the reading sh*t on the computer thing… :sorry:

I found really affordable copies of Marvel's Greatest Comics all over the net. You can find em for less than a buck apiece in bulk if you're lucky.

Way more fun to read!

26 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I found really affordable copies of Marvel's Greatest Comics all over the net. You can find em for less than a buck apiece in bulk if you're lucky.

Way more fun to read!

ok. didn't know about that reprint book! that's the ticket. Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

Color is a part of the equation because the movie had to be cast in mainly black actors to be true to the African storyline.  That is nearly unheard of in Hollywood.  Most movies can cast without a single Black, Latino or Asian actor and you rarely hear a peep.  Except for that Egyptian movie with Christian Bale that got destroyed in the press and at the box office for shockingly casting zero color for a movie based in Africa.  I believe the movie succeeded because it was cast with amazing actors, incredible music, awesome CGI and excellent writing and yes there will be some serious pride from a lot of people who are thrilled to have a Black hero.  The first in comics and first black super hero movie.  I call that a great combination of factors leading to overwhelming success.   

You’re agreeing with me, but in a very round about way...while applying the connotation of a counterpoint. I stated “strictly because the race” which is what some statements are implying. You’re statement, however, was well constructed and had depth. So I appreciate that... :foryou:

17 hours ago, Bronx said:

Good recommendation.

Also a few times a year Amazon sells digital Marvel Masterworks and Marvel Epic collections for $3.50 to $3.99 to own for the Kindle. You can literally buy about 1000 pages of Marvel vintage silver/bronze age greatness for less than $16.

Hard to beat that price anywhere.

19 hours ago, Bronx said:
On 2/17/2018 at 2:48 AM, makeminemego said:

Film music, whether it be a traditional original score or rehashed popular music (like The Immigrant Song in Ragnarok), is used to create a hook between the viewer and the moving images.  To think that music used in a movie or even just a trailer ISN'T a draw for a cross section of the public-ranging from enthusiasts to passers by-is short sighted.  

Film score and orchestral enthusiasts definitely go out of their way to see movies scored by composers like Alexandre Desplat.  

Have to agree that music is a critical element to help put you in the seat and also help put you in the seat again as a repeat viewer in the theatre and eventually with Blu-Ray sales.  

How does it get you in the seats?  Someone mentioned the Thor trailer.  When I heard that music agains those visuals I got instant goose bumps and I knew i was seeing that movie.  

How does it get you back?  We respond to emotional connections and music does that better than almost anything.  Anyone who sat in a theatre as kid and watched Star Wars with John Williams score knew there was something spectacular happening with the combination of visuals and thrilling sounds.  Star Wars redefined movie success with the amount of repeat customers seeing the movie 3 and 4 times not just once or twice.  Great music sells products, movies, and even relationships.  It's a powerful tool.  

So I'm not patently absurd and full of stupidity for suggesting that the musical score was going to help appeal to a wider audience? lol

Nevermind, I knew the answer before I asked the question.

42 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

So I'm not patently absurd and full of stupidity for suggesting that the musical score was going to help appeal to a wider audience? lol

I didn't really stockpile this issue, but anytime I saw an 8.0 or better copy for market value or less I bought it and ended up with five or six copies from 8.5 to 9.6.  It ALWAYS seemed undervalued to me, aside from the spike prices of 9.6 and 9.8 copies at a few points over the past decade or two.  I'm sure we'll see more short-term surge and an inevitable dip in 9 to 18 months, but I also expect the long-term value to still be strong, so I still see no reason to sell for now.

Aside from having a copy of Giant Size X-Men 1, I had never owned any other key issue comics or even read a Silver Age comic. 

After watching the trailer for Black Panther back in November, I decided I wanted the character’s first appearance.

I found the below copy on eBay for about $180 and couldn’t believe how cheap it was.  

33A4D333-8C43-4B5A-890F-03F82416D78F.thumb.jpeg.6c3d79ceee03e63b181fa59e8a2cddab.jpeg

Edited by Skizz

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Looks good!

Most sellers would have asked for more.

Yeah. It was the cheapest #48 I could find on eBay on a BIN. But the other copies I saw weren’t that much more expensive either at the time in early Nov. In fact, the pence copies were even less. 

On 2/25/2018 at 11:18 AM, VintageComics said:

Looks like this movie is breaking all sorts of barriers culturally.

My kids absolutely loved the movie. Even my son, who refuses to watch Star Trek, LOTR or Star Wars and didn't really love any other Marvel movies loved this one.

Marvel aimed for a different audience and they knocked it out of the park.