• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR 45 cooling off? FF 52 red hot?
4 4

132 posts in this topic

I Still think the Inhumans will be on the big screen. I think That there was a battle between the TV and movie divisions . I think TV had thier shot and blew it. I think Feige wants the Inhumans done right. We will see. Call it a hunch

On 1/15/2018 at 6:52 PM, Dogsupreme said:

well let's at #52 compared to #48.

While #48 is important Silver Surfer does not appear on the cover and I think that's important.

#52 is a great cover.

#48 does introduce SS and he had an appearance in the FF 2 movie. No real change in value overall. it is going up but most key silver is doing that.

#52 has jumped astronomically over the past several years. High grade copies are extremely hard to find with the black cover.

Also, Black Panther is Marvel's first black super hero.

So while #48 is high value there is little room for growth. #52 can still be had but the window is closing.

FF 48 has little room for growth you say?

Interesting... hm

Yeah, couldn’t have missed the mark any further.  48 was a slam dunk to anyone that appreciates the books.  45 shot up past it.  Sure, cool book and all, but nowhere near as significant as 48.  Same with 52 (which is way better than 45).  Neither better or more significant than 48.

Aside from 1, 5 and (maybe) 12, 48 is the most significant book in the run.  

11 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Yeah, couldn’t have missed the mark any further.  48 was a slam dunk to anyone that appreciates the books.  45 shot up past it.  Sure, cool book and all, but nowhere near as significant as 48.  Same with 52 (which is way better than 45).  Neither better or more significant than 48.

48 is my favorite issue in one of my favorite titles, but 45 shooting up made complete sense to me as a high grade collector--they're far rarer.  Less than 10 copies in 9.6 or better versus over 100 copies in 9.6 or better isn't a contest, you see a nosebleed #48 for sale several times a year, but #45 only comes up every few years.  And as far as I can tell, 45 is still worth more than 48 due to a far lower supply.  There's no GPA record of a nosebleed copy selling in six years, so we don't even know the current value unless you guys have seen ComicLink copies sell as a benchmark.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:02 PM, Drummy said:

The Twin Cities 9.6 currently on Comiclink should give us a sense of that market.

Anyone see what that sold for?  ComicLink not reporting to GPA is one thing, but their nonexistent (or perhaps just awful) interface for finding completed auction items is just doh! :facepalm:

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Anyone see what that sold for?  ComicLink not reporting to GPA is one thing, but their nonexistent (or perhaps just awful) interface for finding completed auction items is just doh! :facepalm:

I dislike their policy of keeping their auction sales under wraps and have just started charting the books I follow manually (which is a bit of a pain, but whatev). Fortunately, you can usually still find the results of their previous auction (or two) by just searching for the title and going to the end of the search results where you'll find the closed listings.....

1222362538_ScreenShot2018-05-24at8_05_11AM.thumb.jpg.e3bd8a3a16e3d055dd854f7407b3e7a1.jpg

Thanks!  With the 2017 GPA average for an FF 48 in 9.6 at $7500, looks like the market for a nosebleed copy of #45 in equivalent condition is still higher due to scarcity.  But this sale is down from when this same Twin Cities copy sold in 2016 for $11,950...which was better than when it cratered on that sale from the previous one in 2015 for $26,290.  :whatthe:

That's the problem with these Silver Age books that don't come up for sale often in super high grade...you're never sure what they're worth.  I'm sure that whoever bought it in 2015 was aware that a copy in that shape hadn't come to market in years and just jumped on it, but wow, that 2015 sale was quite the aggressive price.  :ohnoez:

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Thanks!  With the 2017 GPA average for an FF 48 in 9.6 at $7500, looks like the market for a nosebleed copy of #45 in equivalent condition is still higher due to scarcity.  But this sale is down from when this same Twin Cities copy sold in 2016 for $11,950...which was better than when it cratered on that sale from the previous one in 2015 for $26,290.  :whatthe:

That's the problem with these Silver Age books that don't come up for sale often in super high grade...you're never sure what they're worth.  I'm sure that whoever bought it in 2015 was aware that a copy in that shape hadn't come to market in years and just jumped on it, but wow, that 2015 sale was quite the aggressive price.  :ohnoez:

Wow, that's quite a roller coaster! I had my eye on the FF 49 9.4, but just got pummeled up and down this round. Everything went nuts. The FF 49 went for $7277, last sale on GPA was $4500 in December and the 49 far and away cleared the last CLink FF 48 9.4, which went for $5200 in April. This was just another "throw GPA out the window" round. People weren't bidding based on FMV, it was a "win at all costs" round.

Yup.  I was looking at a nice 7.0 FF #4 that ended up going for over $6k.  The #49 as well went bonkers -- way beyond what I would spend on that issue.  People have money to spend!

Dan