• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR 45 cooling off? FF 52 red hot?
4 4

132 posts in this topic

With the failure of Marvel's INHUMANS has anyone seen a cooling off of FANTASTIC FOUR #45. I was at a recent show and it seemed everyone was trying to dump their #45s but I could not find a single copy of FF #52 for sale. With the Panther movie on the horizon do you think 352 could rival #48 in importance and value?

7 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

With the failure of Marvel's INHUMANS has anyone seen a cooling off of FANTASTIC FOUR #45. I was at a recent show and it seemed everyone was trying to dump their #45s but I could not find a single copy of FF #52 for sale. With the Panther movie on the horizon do you think 352 could rival #48 in importance and value?

Not really.

52 is a cool 1st app.

48 is a monsterbook.

FF52 is a great book but is not a more important book than FF48 IMO (but this comes from a huge surfer fan)

i never thought FF45 should have been a “big” book - no one cared about the InHumans and it just seemed to be Marvel trying to push it because they didn’t own XMen

Edited by Chillax23

11 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

The Black Panther movie will put FF#52 on the map.

Black Panther will beat  both Justice League and Batman vs.Superman at the box office. 

46 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Black Panther will beat  both Justice League and Batman vs.Superman at the box office. 

I am curious why you say that?  And I am not disagreeing so much, but iconic characters like Bats & Supes, Justice League etc.   vs.  Black Panther  who in the grand scheme of the public's view is not well known.    

My wife knows who Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash are.  She never heard of the the Black Panther.  

Is it because of the strength of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

38 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I am curious why you say that?  And I am not disagreeing so much, but iconic characters like Bats & Supes, Justice League etc.   vs.  Black Panther  who in the grand scheme of the public's view is not well known.    

My wife knows who Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash are.  She never heard of the the Black Panther.  

Is it because of the strength of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

My mother heard of Tarzan and Lone Ranger and never heard of Deadpool, but guess what Deadpool destroyed them at the box office. lol

Of course it is the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They are the gold standard like Star Wars.

Some proof?

The Black Panther is tracking to beat  Justice League.

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-justice-league-box-office/

I also will guarantee you that the Black Panther beats Aquaman at the box office.

The DC characters really other than Batman and Wonder Woman are not seemed as cool and hip as the Marvel characters.

I love the DC characters, but they overall will never have the mainstream appeal of the Marvel characters.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

well let's at #52 compared to #48.

While #48 is important Silver Surfer does not appear on the cover and I think that's important.

#52 is a great cover.

#48 does introduce SS and he had an appearance in the FF 2 movie. No real change in value overall. it is going up but most key silver is doing that.

#52 has jumped astronomically over the past several years. High grade copies are extremely hard to find with the black cover.

Also, Black Panther is Marvel's first black super hero.

So while #48 is high value there is little room for growth. #52 can still be had but the window is closing.

2 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

While #48 is important Silver Surfer does not appear on the cover and I think that's important.

#52 is a great cover.

#48 does introduce SS and he had an appearance in the FF 2 movie. No real change in value overall. it is going up but most key silver is doing that.

#52 has jumped astronomically over the past several years. High grade copies are extremely hard to find with the black cover.

So while #48 is high value there is little room for growth. #52 can still be had but the window is closing.

I think you’re viewing this as a positive in regards to whether it’s a good time to buy #52. It’s a con...

14 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

#52 is a great cover.

The fact that FF48 did not plummet in value after the abomination that was Fantastic Four 2 - should speak to the staying power and overall importance of FF48 :)

I think the rapid price increases in FF52 should be a concern for people not a benefit - it is an awesome book (I want to own a copy) however, it seems to be in a bubble IMO.

FF 52 was sorta the 'event' that brought me back to collecting this final time (not going anywhere now, but in 09 had gotten very busy with life).

After not looking at my comic collection since 2009, I'm not sure what possessed me to skim ebay in March 2016 - I think it was the imminent release of Cap. America Civil War - to unload the set of complete 22 or so vols. of Civil War TPBs I'd bought for reading, and weren't 'keepers'.

So after skimming "ebay completed auctions" I was amazed by the popular demand of FF 52 (because Panther was making his MCU debut, apparently) and within a week I'd listed my extra' copy of FF 52 on ebay (around a VGF -tightly graded - that ultimately I sold on ebay late March '16 for around 400 gross including shipping).

As far as I know the Panther/FF 52 peaked two years ago, and past 2 years has been kinda flat to up slightly, though there is probably some upside the next couple of weeks, I can't see that much upside from there.

Imo, FF 45 and 46 had cooled off a while back and is old news, though I don't think they're dead just because the tv show was poorly received, they just aren't "hot" or even "warm." 

FF 48 for various reason is a mid grail, and again imho will remain a warm-hot key indefinitely.  Maybe a spike in future if ever get a better-than-mediocre treatment of Surfer or Big G.

Black Panther is Now Tracking to Be the Biggest Marvel Superhero Solo Debut Ever!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/26/black-panther-biggest-solo-debut/

We already knew that Black Panther was going to beat Justice League at the box office. That’s just common sense. Sure, maybe a Snyder cut may have made a difference, but it’s too late for that. Now, however, Black Panther’s opening weekend estimates are tracking even higher, potentially putting the movie above every other Marvel solo debut.

What makes this news significant for DC silver age key collectors is compared to Marvel silver age keys be cautious going forward.

More people have way more interest in the Marvel characters of this age. 

The Marvel heroes of this age translate into hip and modern characters,while the DC heroes come off campy.

FF#52 will have a longer upside than BB#28.

Fantastic+Four+52.jpg

Una-gu%C3%ADa-para-novatos-en-el-arte-de-los-c%C3%B3mics-interna9.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 1/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, Dogsupreme said:

Yes, FF 45 and 46 are dead and prices will go down.  FF 52 is popular and selling.  Long term I don't see 52 being more important than 48.  Surfer and Galactus will someday get better treatment in the movies and IMHO they are more interesting and important than Black Panther. 

Also, based on the Black Panther trailers I've seen the movie looks to offer little beyond lots of mindless action.  Hope I'm wrong.

Everyone dumping FF45 and looking for 52?  Of course, that's the normal movie comic cycle.  I haven't been tracking it, but what has 36 done since the collapse of the Inhumans push?  The Inhumans saga is a great story, but the first Medusa in 36 is tougher to come by.

As far as FF 52, no, it'll never reach the lasting value of FF 48.  The price of 52 is being buoyed by speculators, while the established comic collectors are maintaining the price of 48.

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

Everyone dumping FF45 and looking for 52?  Of course, that's the normal movie comic cycle.  I haven't been tracking it, but what has 36 done since the collapse of the Inhumans push?  The Inhumans saga is a great story, but the first Medusa in 36 is tougher to come by.

As far as FF 52, no, it'll never reach the lasting value of FF 48.  The price of 52 is being buoyed by speculators, while the established comic collectors are maintaining the price of 48.

One key factor about Black Bolt is he can't talk. If the main character of the Inhumans can't talk in a film,than there will be huge translation problems for the movie audience to identify with the main character.

Also the backlash the Inhumans got for their TV show was an epic failure!

It will take years for the Inhumans ever to be looked at a starring role again.

FF#52 would be considered at the top of the mountain,while  FF#45 at the bottom. Not even a close call of to what the majority of collectors would want over the next few years.

51 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One key factor about Black Bolt is he can't talk. If the main character of the Inhumans can't talk in a film,than there will be huge translation problems for the movie audience to identify with the main character.

Groot did alright with only 3 words.

27 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Groot was family appealing. Black Bolt not so much.

1618232_1.jpg

inhumans-blackbolt-medusa-994525-640x320.jpg

why do they insist on having masks off in superhero films and TV?

If you didn't tell me this is Black Bolt I have no idea at all. The costume is identifying, some random guys face not so much.

12 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

why do they insist on having masks off in superhero films and TV?

If you didn't tell me this is Black Bolt I have no idea at all. The costume is identifying, some random guys face not so much.

I agree with that.

One thing though with Black Bolt. He can't talk, so there is no personality for him to ever become likable in the movies/tv shows.

In comics you got the word balloons that help with his personality.

With GROOT his three words are funny. and people like them. You can say they are memorable.

men-s-gotg-volume-2-baby-groot-t-shirt-e4wdo-tail.jpg

Black Bolt will never be as popular as Groot or Black Panther.