• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qustion about CGC holder flaps

4 posts in this topic

Why do some holders have internal flaps at the side and bottom edges and not others?  It would seem to me that those flaps may cause problems over the long term by pressing on the book in an unnatural way.

CGC encapsulated books consists of two separate holders....

The exterior holder is the thick, rigid plastic holder. It's purpose is to keep the book from being damaged by handling. It also just looks nice

The inner holder is softer plastic - basically a sealed, heavy plastic bag. It's made of archival plastic that is also used to package food and sometimes medicines.  A polyethylene most likely like PETG.  It used to be Barex but that is no longer being made. 

I cannot say that I know 100% for certain the purpose of what looks like flaps in the inner holder. I know that inner holders are manufactured in various sizes and I have always assumed the flaps are often used to keep the comic securely in place in the inner holder. So it won't slide around any - which if it did slide around might cause damage to the book. 

I've unslabbed hundreds, maybe over a thousand of CGC comic books and I've never seen one that had any damage from these "flaps" 

15 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I've unslabbed hundreds, maybe over a thousand of CGC comic books and I've never seen one that had any damage from these "flaps" 

Good to know.  It's curious that the very same book (like ASM 300) sometimes has these flaps and other slabs from the same generation don't have them.

8 minutes ago, FSF said:

Good to know.  It's curious that the very same book (like ASM 300) sometimes has these flaps and other slabs from the same generation don't have them.

As I said, I cannot say I know 100% for certain. But there are different size inner holders. They may need the flaps on some inner holders to make ASM 300 fit just right - and not on others. 
Also with vintage comic books many varied considerably in actual size.  Which is why measuring a comic book is not a reliable way to tell if it has been trimmed.  So there well be a need for those flaps because the same book can vary by 1/4 inch or more in size. 

Edited by Tony S