• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best app for modern comics inventory ?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I'm looking for an easy way to inventory my modern collection and I'm curious what you guys are using for your own inventory. 

Which app is best for current to say 10 or even 20 year old books ? I'm more concerned with an accurate inventory system than current values. 

Free is great but accuracy and being able to add multiple copies of the same issue is even better. 

I use iOS and any system that works off barcodes would be fantastic.

Any suggestions ? 

I have been using the CLZ Comics app in conjunction with CLZ Barry, which allows me to scan in books by UPC. Most books are in the system, so adding them to my collection is pretty painless. My only gripe is that it isn't intuitive tracking multiple copies of the same book (e.g., 3 copies of Batman 655 Cover A). It does allow you to quickly add separate covers (Batman 655 Cover A and Cover B).

As an aside, they also offer a web-based alternative.

a +1 for COLLECTORZ.  I've been using them since way back and love their service and operating system. 

I also use it to track my OA, which is handy. 

As for multiple copies of a comic I just add an entry for each one. Then using one of the modified user entries I assign each book a unique inventory number and write this number on the backing board. This way I can easily match the physical copy with the COLLECTORZ entry.

10 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

a +1 for COLLECTORZ.  I've been using them since way back and love their service and operating system. 

I also use it to track my OA, which is handy. 

As for multiple copies of a comic I just add an entry for each one. Then using one of the modified user entries I assign each book a unique inventory number and write this number on the backing board. This way I can easily match the physical copy with the COLLECTORZ entry.

I'll give a +1 here as well.

The cloud sync among multiple devices is such a nice feature. I started using it on my Mac and now I primarily use it on my Android phone.
One thing to keep in mind is that the company changed the mobile purchase model about a year ago to where if you spend $15 on the app you can get an unlimited collection size, but you can also spend less than that if you don't have a huge collection that you want to track.

Thanks to all of you. I'm giving CLZ a go. Just tried out the Barry app and that's a really easy way to inventory books. I really appreciate the help. I lost a ton of info recently and was facing a lot of work the way I used to do it. :applause:

On 1/14/2018 at 6:34 PM, the authority said:

I'm looking for an easy way to inventory my modern collection and I'm curious what you guys are using for your own inventory. 

Which app is best for current to say 10 or even 20 year old books ? I'm more concerned with an accurate inventory system than current values. 

Free is great but accuracy and being able to add multiple copies of the same issue is even better. 

Any suggestions ? 

Spiral-bound note pad and pencil?:insane:

I have tried a bunch. None of them seem to be created for my type of collecting.

Most apps are focused on either checking off what you have read or focus too much information about editor, colorist, colorist's dog name...etc, and give little space for actual inventory information.

None of them have a feature to log what you paid for a book. None of them have an easy way to log multiple copies of a single issue, with a way to distiguish condition for each one. Logging this type of info seems like a no brainer but no app seems to be able to do this easily without a frustrating workaround. All apps mentioned above work fine for casual collectors/readers.

If anyone has a good suggestion for my needs, please chime in. I would love to try something else.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:39 PM, Davidone said:

I have tried a bunch. None of them seem to be created for my type of collecting.

Most apps are focused on either checking off what you have read or focus too much information about editor, colorist, colorist's dog name...etc, and give little space for actual inventory information.

None of them have a feature to log what you paid for a book. None of them have an easy way to log multiple copies of a single issue, with a way to distiguish condition for each one. Logging this type of info seems like a no brainer but no app seems to be able to do this easily without a frustrating workaround. All apps mentioned above work fine for casual collectors/readers.

If anyone has a good suggestion for my needs, please chime in. I would love to try something else.

I still think COLLECTORZ is the way to go. 

I have multiples of a few books. I just make an individual entry for each book so I can the individual grade/purchase price/purchase date ect.  Each book gets an individual inventory number which I enter in one of the modifiable fields COLLECTORZ gives you. 

collectorz-cgc.jpg

collectorz-cgc02.jpg

collectorz-cgc03.jpg

On 1/14/2018 at 6:34 PM, the authority said:

Any suggestions ? 

Key Collector Comics app (@Key Collector Comics ) for non-drek books.  I love their tool that lets you input (1) what you deem the current fair market value of a book and (2) what you got it for, then display the difference. 

Super easy for me to see how much I've "made" on purchases.  In addition to the app's other capabilities, pics of each book humanize the experience over, say, Excel.

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 1/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, mister_not_so_nice said:

I still think COLLECTORZ is the way to go. 

I have multiples of a few books. I just make an individual entry for each book so I can the individual grade/purchase price/purchase date ect.  Each book gets an individual inventory number which I enter in one of the modifiable fields COLLECTORZ gives you. 

collectorz-cgc.jpg

collectorz-cgc02.jpg

collectorz-cgc03.jpg

I'll try that one again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ive tried a couple web based sites for keeping a database of everything but they never clicked with me. I really did like all what clz had to offer as far as input. my favorite part is to assign tags to any book. so i came up with the idea to number all my boxes then assign the box number as a tag to ever comic. that way as long as i kept up with what book was where in case of moving it i knew where every comic was located.

screen shots are how it looks setup in the "no folders" view and where to set it up. you can edit multiple comics at one time to add the tag.

tags.PNG

tags2.PNG

Edited by NWOslave