• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best app for modern comics inventory ?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Does CLZ let you add how much you paid for the comic?

Does it keep track of comic current value?

I keep a spread sheet and like to add my cost and current value but is a lot of manual work, so might check CLZ if they have those two features.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:29 PM, Santos208 said:

Does CLZ let you add how much you paid for the comic?

Does it keep track of comic current value?

I keep a spread sheet and like to add my cost and current value but is a lot of manual work, so might check CLZ if they have those two features.

To my knowledge Santos, there is not.

There is a “notes” section where you can put that info, but you would have to input.

I just looked on the app  (haven't used the desktop/web version), and it has fields for: Purchase date, purchase price, current value, condition, location, store, your rating, if you've read it, plus other tags and notes (and several other fields).  As mentioned, I don't think there is a way to automatically update the current value though.  It is nice in that you can then easily filter on some of those fields...so if I want to see all my CGC 9.6 books and their covers, I can

I've yet to find anything that works the way I want it to. Right now I'm using a Numbers spreadsheet (similar to Excel, but I have multiple tables per sheet view), but it's getting a bit out of hand with the number of books I have. I've tried CLZ and wasn't happy with it. I feel like there should be a pretty easy answer, since it's really just a simple database. 

I just started trying Airtable, and it does 90% of what I want, but I can't get the look to be exactly what I'm going for. 

At this point I'm contemplating just making my own. I've got a background in Oracle databases and a bit of SQL, but I'll need to learn some PHP for the front end. I'm surprised there aren't more developer collectors that have already done something like this. 

12 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I've yet to find anything that works the way I want it to. Right now I'm using a Numbers spreadsheet (similar to Excel, but I have multiple tables per sheet view), but it's getting a bit out of hand with the number of books I have. I've tried CLZ and wasn't happy with it. I feel like there should be a pretty easy answer, since it's really just a simple database. 

I just started trying Airtable, and it does 90% of what I want, but I can't get the look to be exactly what I'm going for. 

At this point I'm contemplating just making my own. I've got a background in Oracle databases and a bit of SQL, but I'll need to learn some PHP for the front end. I'm surprised there aren't more developer collectors that have already done something like this. 

How do you want it to work?

10 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

How do you want it to work?

Somewhat similar to CLZ, but I want to be able to add my own data fields. For instance I want to track the serial numbers of graded books, and I have check boxes right now for if I think a comic needs to be pressed, if I plan to send it in for grading, if I've ordered it but I haven't received it yet, etc. I didn't see a way to do that in CLZ (but if I missed it let me know, as it would be way easier to just do that than to make it myself). 

I'm another CLZ fan. i use it onmy note 9. it is just so convenient to be able to jump on your phone and to see if you already have a certain issue in your inventory. i added close to 2000 books so far, and it really hasn't let me down as of yet. as far as noting what you paid or the current value or whatever. this DOES NOT show any of that. let me also note i'm not one to pay for for any phone apps. this however, i said screw it and paid the $10 or $15 it cost and have been using it for about a good year and a half now. i personally would give it 5 stars for what it does and how i enjoy it.

4 hours ago, Gabagool said:

I'm another CLZ fan. i use it onmy note 9. it is just so convenient to be able to jump on your phone and to see if you already have a certain issue in your inventory. i added close to 2000 books so far, and it really hasn't let me down as of yet. as far as noting what you paid or the current value or whatever. this DOES NOT show any of that. let me also note i'm not one to pay for for any phone apps. this however, i said screw it and paid the $10 or $15 it cost and have been using it for about a good year and a half now. i personally would give it 5 stars for what it does and how i enjoy it.

Ditto, This is exactly my story.

I was curious if anyone has any user experience managing their collection with CPG?  Only because I've already got a substantial amount there (1,100+) but I've never really utilized their software, just their price guide.  I'm ready to pay for a service and am just looking for some insight into CPG before deciding on who's service to pay for: CPG or CLZ.

I've been "using" (and I use that term loosely) CPG for many years now.  I've only ever been a free member and basically only use the guide, which I do find rather nice for casual use.  However, I think the main reason I didn't make the plunge with CPG in the past was their software was a little tedious to use back when I had full access and inputted the 1100 books that are there now. I have 3000 or so in a crappy excel spread sheet I created and another 5 or 6 long boxes to catalog. I have it on One-drive, but it is rather tedious to use on my phone.  I would like to start a proper list of my collection with grades.

TY

update: So I went ahead and bought CPG... even the 99 cents I paid was too much!  I was never even able to log in once on my phone even though I am still using the site on my pc.  I tried everything on my phone: uninstall, reinstall, reboot, log out of account on pc, repeat steps 1-3, log back into pc - Nuthin!  I was so frustrated This was the 1st time I even requested my $1.08 back in a refund, and I got it, LOL.

Anyway after our summer trips are done I'm trying CLZ. 

Edited by BSC249
tried a new app before anyone else replied to my question

On 1/21/2018 at 5:39 PM, Davidone said:

I have tried a bunch. None of them seem to be created for my type of collecting.

Most apps are focused on either checking off what you have read or focus too much information about editor, colorist, colorist's dog name...etc, and give little space for actual inventory information.

None of them have a feature to log what you paid for a book. None of them have an easy way to log multiple copies of a single issue, with a way to distiguish condition for each one. Logging this type of info seems like a no brainer but no app seems to be able to do this easily without a frustrating workaround. All apps mentioned above work fine for casual collectors/readers.

If anyone has a good suggestion for my needs, please chime in. I would love to try something else.

Whats funny is that I used to run a site that did all of this. Even let you use tags and keep track of how much you spent and how much your collection was worth. I charged $2 a month and still couldn't get enough people to sign up. I built it because I wanted all those tools. Apparently not enough collectors out there that are looking for this.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, Donny V said:

Whats funny is that I used to run a site that did all of this. Even let you use tags and keep track of how much you spent and how much your collection was worth. I charged $2 a month and still couldn't get enough people to sign up. I built it because I wanted all those tools. Apparently not enough collectors out there that are looking for this.

I've sort of stalled on developing my own (just for personal use). Is it something you'd be willing to share? 

On 5/11/2019 at 12:05 PM, Gabagool said:

There is a way to enter the price paid and the quantity of copies you own.  I'm just not sure how it's presented in the main portion of the app.

I use comic Collector Z, does anyone know how to group a particular group of comics? for examples currently there is an alphabetical order of my comics but the True Believers makes my list three times as long since it considers each comic its own separate title, is there a way to group them?

On 7/22/2019 at 4:36 PM, Kon_Jelly said:

I've sort of stalled on developing my own (just for personal use). Is it something you'd be willing to share? 

The site is from 2010 and built with now old Asp.net MVC 1.0. The front end is all JQuery. I don't think it would help you much. You would have to rebuild a lot of it. Wasn't tested for mobile either. If I find the code I'll post it.