• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Undervalued PCH Book

13 posts in this topic

Kind of a spin-off from the other thread on here. Curious to see what you all think is currently the most undervalued PCH book given the explosion in demand and price for some of these issues over the past few years. What will be the next Chamber of Chills 19 of 2018? I will start off with my pick (from one of my favorite PCH covers)...

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

It's really tough to say which book is the most undervalued as most collectors of Precode Horror already know which issues  are the most desirable. Having said that, this issue comes to mind as a book that still has room to grow. Frankenstein started out as humor title  but with this issue it switched over to straight horror. Again, most collectors here know this but the overall collecting community may not. 

Frankenstein18CGC60_zps7f741853.jpg

Yes. Frankie horror issues are undervalued IMO. Nice copy buddy. ?

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

It's really tough to say which book is the most undervalued as most collectors of Precode Horror already know which issues  are the most desirable. Having said that, this issue comes to mind as a book that still has room to grow. Frankenstein started out as humor title  but with this issue it switched over to straight horror. Again, most collectors here know this but the overall collecting community may not. 

Jay, I'm glad you brought this one up in particular since it's significant in the history of Briefer's Frankenstein run.(thumbsu

@bronze johnny Agree with you on the above as far as underrated. But as far as undervalued AITU 1 has taken off.

Another underrated book that has gained some recent interest due to the Matt Baker frenzy is this one. Not so much undervalued anymore.

Nightmare13.jpg

Edited by Jayman

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

@bronze johnny Agree with you on the above as far as underrated. But as far as undervalued AITU 1 has taken off.

Another underrated book that has gained some recent interest due to the Matt Baker frenzy is this one. Not so much undervalued anymore.

Nightmare13.jpg

Great book!

AITU 1 may have taken off in the higher grades but low grade copies are floating around out there (I'm aware of a few nice ones right now) and by comparison- low grade copies of other comparable pch keys disappear in similar grades for higher values. I want to be careful here since threads like this can be an open invitation for some to pimp books they own (and there's plenty of that on these boards) and answer only to the how a book is currently defined and for many, that definition is exclusive to what's on the label (or over in other forums to a greater degree, the movie or tv show defines key crowd, especially the resellers looking to take advantage of the less informed collector). AITU 1 has superficially been defined as the first horror comic to start an ongoing horror series. That doesn't tell the whole story. This book started an entire era of precode horror. A few other exclusive horror books (examples: classic adapted horror books and Eerie Comics 1) preceded AITU 1 but nothing happened. 

AITU 1 is the first precode horror book that matters most and the history of the American comic book during the late 1940's supports this - just look at what happened after the Fall of 1948. Contemporary publishers at that time followed the trail set by ACG with this landmark book. The new world of the exclusive precode horror comic book was discovered...

Edited by bronze johnny

On 1/15/2018 at 9:04 AM, Jayman said:

I'm surprised CGC does not bother noting this book as "new format" or "first horror issue." This is a huge turning point in the series.