• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Captain Marvel 18
1 1

7 posts in this topic

It's a tad off center and the back appears 2 b a little dirty ...a tiny slight crease as u say in top right corner...the spine looks really good...i think there's a little wear on the back spine to a small extent or maybe thats just some dirt...to b a 9.2 i guess it would need to b generally well centered and i'm not sure if this is.....it might b though.... It's very close but it might not be. I'm not sure how much lee-way CGC gives on that front. I mean i guess it's probably a 9.0 but i think the current grading at CGC is quite tough so if it was an 8.5 that wouldn't surprise me......The colors r extremely sharp which i think is why it probably gets a 9.0 but i'm a pessimist at heart so i would expect an 8.5

42 minutes ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

It's a tad off center and the back appears 2 b a little dirty ...a tiny slight crease as u say in top right corner...the spine looks really good...i think there's a little wear on the back spine to a small extent or maybe thats just some dirt...to b a 9.2 i guess it would need to b generally well centered and i'm not sure if this is.....it might b though.... It's very close but it might not be. I'm not sure how much lee-way CGC gives on that front. I mean i guess it's probably a 9.0 but i think the current grading at CGC is quite tough so if it was an 8.5 that wouldn't surprise me......The colors r extremely sharp which i think is why it probably gets a 9.0 but i'm a pessimist at heart so i would expect an 8.5

9.0 sounds right. That small upper right break shouldn't drop this beauty below 9.0, but it won't make 9.2 because of it. Also worth noting is that "scuffed" stress area on the spine line immediately to the left of the MARVEL COMICS GROUP box 'M'. It's not a defect of wear so not a deducting factor. All 18s have it. it's a printing plate production flaw, just like the "breaks" on the spine line on Cap 110 and many others.

Edited by James J Johnson

I'm not aware that centering has anything to do with the grade.  There are many, many 9.4s and 9.6s and 9.8s out there with centering problems.

I've also seen plenty of 9.4s that have the wear you see at the upper left corner, the "scuff" on the spine, and the "dirty" back cover.

So I'm thinking this could come back as high as 9.2, though I would also think 9.0 is likely.  That said, these scans alone aren't enough to rule out some other hidden defects that would knock it down further.  I've gotten books back that would present extremely well in a scan yet received an 8.5 or even an 8.0.

Best of luck!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14