• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Planet Comics 71
1 1

12 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I really don't feel confident discerning among the lower grades, so with that disclaimer, I'm calling it a 3.0 because of the split and accumulation of faults. But it's a nice copy that I'd love to have, presents quite nicely. :)

David, this looks to me that it would grade much better than 3.0. It's very clean and the colors look brand new, front and back. I think even given the small split, it looks solid enough to at least get into the 5.0 range, and probably more if when the spine is carefully opened and viewed from the inside, there's no daylight peeking through, other than that aforementioned split. Again, if that split occurred from wear and not the paper drying out, and the paper is as fresh as the colors are, this will present like many 6.0s in the slab and bring a 6.0 price at market. This particular set of colors is unique to golden age and not often seen is such contrast making this a very desirable book with plenty of pop. This is the type of book that commands attention on any dealer's wall. The eyes are drawn right to this, "Wow, what's that?. Can I see that, please?". (thumbsu

18 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

David, this looks to me that it would grade much better than 3.0. It's very clean and the colors look brand new, front and back. I think even given the small split, it looks solid enough to at least get into the 5.0 range, and probably more if when the spine is carefully opened and viewed from the inside, there's no daylight peeking through, other than that aforementioned split. Again, if that split occurred from wear and not the paper drying out, and the paper is as fresh as the colors are, this will present like many 6.0s in the slab and bring a 6.0 price at market. This particular set of colors is unique to golden age and not often seen is such contrast making this a very desirable book with plenty of pop. This is the type of book that commands attention on any dealer's wall. The eyes are drawn right to this, "Wow, what's that?. Can I see that, please?". (thumbsu

I agree with you that 3.0 is a bit low, but I don't believe it is a 5.0 or higher. 

Personally, I give it a 4.0, maybe 4.5 with a GA bump

It does have very bright colors. 

3 hours ago, marmat said:

I agree with you that 3.0 is a bit low, but I don't believe it is a 5.0 or higher. 

Personally, I give it a 4.0, maybe 4.5 with a GA bump

It does have very bright colors. 

Ya, I agree that I was too harsh and like 4.0 to 4.5 better. 5.0 is pushing it. It's really pretty regardless.

1 hour ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

the color is amazing and it does just draw u in....there is a lot going on down the front spine and the back to me looks really good but i don't c it getting better than 4.0 i always  round down

IMO, the only way to tell for sure, with that much color flaking on the spine, is to first view the spine edge on, and then open the cover to see the spine from inside to determine what's just top layer flaking, and what, if any of it is complete paper loss, daylight shining through, or tiny splits along that spine. Based on the image, it's probably  little of both, how much of each the determining factor between 4.0 and 5.0.

3.5....I'll admit I'm not an expert on trimming, but does it bother anyone else that the right edge is so sharp when the top edge and spine are so worn? Stuff like that worries me when I'm buying raw books, but I don't really know.  Sorry to the OP if I'm instilling my paranoia here...but genuinely curious what others opinions are as I try to use this forum as a place to learn from others experiences.

Edited by szavisca

7 minutes ago, szavisca said:

3.5....I'll admit I'm not an expert on trimming, but does it bother anyone else that the right edge is so sharp when the top edge and spine are so worn? Stuff like that worries me when I'm buying raw books, but I don't really know.  Sorry to the OP if I'm instilling my paranoia here...but genuinely curious what others opinions are as I try to use this forum as a place to learn from others experiences.

The right edge of the cover, the pages, the corners, it all looks OK. Normally configured. IMO, a trimmed right edge is not a consideration on this book.