• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there anything left...?(speculation)
5 5

95 posts in this topic

*This is also relavent to the Copper Age and in fact any age of comics.

The question is....

Speculation. Are there any possible Mid-Major characters left to speculate on across the two ‘ages that havent already been speculated on?

And i’m meaning books that can spike hard if the character becomes a main player across the various cinematic universes.

The reason i ask is because due to my occupation i have alot of time on my hands to do research on various interests of mine and ultimately i have come to the conclusion that there is nothing left... 

All of the Hero candidates are pricey enough it’s high risk low return 

ie. Nova, Warlock, Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill

There are villians that may spike a little but will not hold but already the more prominant villians that will end up in a movie are too pricey.

ie. Dr Doom, Galactus, even Mephisto

And the modern stuff is just rubbish for speculation. I mean c’mon The Batman Who Laughs, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Gwenpool... pffft just rubbish and these characters will be nothing more than a phase untill the next ridiculous lot of characters are created. They are solid flips right now but for long term they will be fodder.

Basically, are there any character’s from any age that has low investment risk with high gains potential long term? 

No...

I think there are always opportunities, but the ones that people think are obvious are already priced high. The winners will be things so obscure that they got overlooked in the current frenzy.

A few years ago, if you'd said an obscure back-up story based on a Beatles song about "Rocky Raccoon" in a cancelled black and white anthology magazine would launch a billion dollar marketing frenzy, no one would have believed you.

The books that will generate the biggest returns are the ones that nobody bets on.

I'm not recommending these, but what happens if the Creeper, Blue Devil, Dakota North or NFL Superpro get picked up for a movie directed by James Cameron and starring Brad Pitt and Jennifer Lawrence?

Well, maybe not NFL Superpro...

The farther back in time you go, the bigger the lift might be... Sea Devils: The Motion Picture, anyone? Just like with Groot...

I think there are still a lot of "undervalued" books relative to the rise of so many other books (mainly silver age stuff) - you mentioned Silver Surfer and Galactus, in my opinion (full disclosure I own copies of both and am a big Silver Surfer fan) both of these books have a lot of room to grow.  A silver Surfer/Fantastic Four movie done right would really elevate these books.  There is no way FF48 should be on par price wise with FF45 and FF52.  Likewise, I think X-Men books have room to grown now that Marvel is no longer hating on the X-Men (i.e., trying to replace them with the In-Humans geesh).  Furthermore, I think DC keys have a lot of growth in them ..... but as a DC collector I would prefer everything stays quiet on that front :)

However, if you are looking for cheap books that will explode in value - that seems tough as there has been a lot of growth across the board.  Plus picking these out is just a shot in the dark IMO.

I would love to see a gritty, police oriented, "real world" title like Gotham Central with Harvey Bullock as the main character.  Could you imagine a "True Detectives" take on a book like that? So many real world based stories can be explored.

This book would take off.

RADF03652012924_11507.jpg

There are still some undiscovered gems out there. The key is to collect what you like. Here are few suggestions:

Marvel:

Paladin, Jack of Hearts, White Tiger, Rawhide Kid, Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, Spiderwoman, Deathlok, Killraven, Ka-Zar, Black Knight, Hercules, Alpha Flight, Power Pack, Black Cat, Silver Sable, Man-Wolf, Stan Lee,  to name just a few

DC:

Ragman, Amethyst Princess of Gem World, Night Force, Captain Carrot, the Outsiders, Infinity Inc,. Omega Men, Secret Six, Manhunter, Madam Xanadu, Patchwork Man, Black Orchid, Prez, aforementioned Creeper, Shade the changing man, etc.

Lots of interesting potential with lots of them still very cheap.

Edited by Dogsupreme

There are plenty of undervalued books. Heck, you could even argue that Hulk #181 is undervalued at the start of each year as prices keep rising year over year. There is no need to speculate on the next movie/TV hit when there are plenty of other ways to make $$$ if that is what you are looking for. 

13 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

*This is also relavent to the Copper Age and in fact any age of comics.

The question is....

Speculation. Are there any possible Mid-Major characters left to speculate on across the two ‘ages that havent already been speculated on?

And i’m meaning books that can spike hard if the character becomes a main player across the various cinematic universes.

The reason i ask is because due to my occupation i have alot of time on my hands to do research on various interests of mine and ultimately i have come to the conclusion that there is nothing left... 

All of the Hero candidates are pricey enough it’s high risk low return 

ie. Nova, Warlock, Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill

There are villians that may spike a little but will not hold but already the more prominant villians that will end up in a movie are too pricey.

ie. Dr Doom, Galactus, even Mephisto

And the modern stuff is just rubbish for speculation. I mean c’mon The Batman Who Laughs, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Gwenpool... pffft just rubbish and these characters will be nothing more than a phase untill the next ridiculous lot of characters are created. They are solid flips right now but for long term they will be fodder.

Basically, are there any character’s from any age that has low investment risk with high gains potential long term? 

No...

You sound pretty clueless to be honest. And if you are buying books in anticipation that a series of movie appearances are going to increase their value over a sustained period of time, things are going to go bad for you.

You can go to ANY decent show and get a bunch of books that have some good potential (or might already be on their way) out of $1-$5 boxes. Not just mispriced books. There are actually tons of first appearances out there that have no premium attached. Generally nothing interesting going on with the character right then, but what if they become the focus of some interesting story arc? It's not how I tend to buy books (random 1st app of a character I don't care about), but sometimes I think about what might be the next interesting thing. And then I wind up sitting on them during the 2 month period they are sellable and miss my shot....

With that said, people hate to give out stock tips here, particularly if they are cheap books they're looking to accumulate.

21 hours ago, Brock said:

I think there are always opportunities, but the ones that people think are obvious are already priced high. The winners will be things so obscure that they got overlooked in the current frenzy.

A few years ago, if you'd said an obscure back-up story based on a Beatles song about "Rocky Raccoon" in a cancelled black and white anthology magazine would launch a billion dollar marketing frenzy, no one would have believed you.

The books that will generate the biggest returns are the ones that nobody bets on.

I'm not recommending these, but what happens if the Creeper, Blue Devil, Dakota North or NFL Superpro get picked up for a movie directed by James Cameron and starring Brad Pitt and Jennifer Lawrence?

Well, maybe not NFL Superpro...

The farther back in time you go, the bigger the lift might be... Sea Devils: The Motion Picture, anyone? Just like with Groot...

For sh*ts and giggles I have a few NFL Superpro #1s..just in case. 

Here: Defenders 21 (1st Headmen) and 35 (1st [Female] Red Guardian) and 46 (1st Max Fury) and 52 (1st "The Presence"/Sergei Kalykov). Easily found in pretty nice shape in any show's $1-$3 boxes, each characters with dozens of appearances over the years. Retire early!