• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
5 5

590 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Because one night when he and I went out, we let our egos get the better of us, competed in a series of events and activities and discovered that his art was the only thing where he was my better. 

That's what we all love about you Buzz. Your humility :cloud9:

7 hours ago, SameLame said:

I feel he same way about the Travis Charest stuff posted here. The difference between Liefeld and artists like Sharp, Charest etc is that the latter always tried to improve their art (as their later work shows). Liefeld said screw it, good enough!

Indeed.  And cool board name! Very appropriate given the threads content (thumbsu

6 hours ago, B2D327 said:

My contribution to this horrific thread. I cringe whenever these pop up in a comic search. A small dose of gamma radiation and I'd go on a rampage wanting to destroy the offices of the editors that approved these

Morbius_The_Living_Vampire_Vol_1_2.jpg

Batman_403.jpg

Jesus :p

There's something so much more unforgivably horrific than horrific art from people who clearly can draw, as opposed to people who can't draw. 

4 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

So proud to have slabbed this :luhv:

WonderWoman1987-088-CGC98U-0985894001.jpeg.2ed597db5701da7e3a4beddcc4fb069a.jpeg

:whatthe:

You'd think CGC would have referenced the significance accordingly wouldn't you: "Terrible mullet cover"

23 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

18552_20170221140817_large.jpg

Steve, you’re clearly not as much of a John Byrne fan as I am, so what’s your assessment of this classic cover?

Interesting use of empty space, or phoned-in laziness?

I'll bet anything that it stood out from the rest of the pack on the stands. Considering the story inside it's a perfect cover and honestly anyone who would call that a "lazy" cover is just ignorant.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, Artboy99 said:

That cover is actually a photograph

I was going to say the same thing, but then thought maybe they were being sarcastic...now I'm not so sure lol

On 1/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Marwood & I said:

He did, didn't he? 

No, unfortunately his pages were filled with awkwardly constructed figures, bizarre faces and superfluous "detail". His work was enough to drive me off of two titles ( Hulk and ASM ).

I cannot argue his success, but I will never think of his work as being good.

18 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
On 16/01/2018 at 1:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

That cover is actually a photograph

I was going to say the same thing, but then thought maybe they were being sarcastic...now I'm not so sure lol

Sic 'em Ken! :mad:

@Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

No, unfortunately his pages were filled with awkwardly constructed figures, bizarre faces and superfluous "detail". His work was enough to drive me off of two titles ( Hulk and ASM ).

I cannot argue his success, but I will never think of his work as being good.

It's probably shallow of me, but I've never been able to read a comic with bad art. Bad art kills great story for me. Great art elevates bad story. That's the way it has always been for me. Comics are a visual medium though, so maybe it makes some sense.

I have always detested McFarlane's art. I can see the skill and competence that others laud, but I just hate the end product. Ditto Byrne, although for different reasons. It's personal taste. My brain is hardwired to dislike it. My gut reaction is 'yuck'. I can't help it. It's similar with music, films etc.

So, Mr (ex) Spidey completist here, who has owned 8,000 Spidey books and pretty much had everything ever in his time, has never read a McFarlane run ASM book. Ditto Byrne. 

Being one of lifes 'lucky' types, which is why I probably gravitated to early Parker in the first place, if I entered a pub quiz on Spider-Man it would probably be full of McFarlane and Byrne run questions. So I'd score zero, and all my mates would laugh and say "Completist! You don't know jack sheet about Spider-Man". Except I don't go to pubs. And have no mates.

I'll get me coat. :sorry:

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

It's probably shallow of me, but I've never been able to read a comic with bad art. Bad art kills great story for me. Great art elevates bad story. That's the way it has always been for me. Comics are a visual medium though, so maybe it makes some sense.

I have always detested McFarlane's art. I can see the skill and competence that others laud, but I just hate the end product. Ditto Byrne, although for different reasons. It's personal taste. My brain is hardwired to dislike it. My gut reaction is 'yuck'. I can't help it. It's similar with music, films etc.

So, Mr (ex) Spidey completist here, who has owned 8,000 Spidey books and pretty much had everything ever in his time, has never read a McFarlane run ASM book. Ditto Byrne. 

Being one of lifes 'lucky' types, which is why I probably gravitated to early Parker in the first place, if I entered a pub quiz on Spider-Man it would probably be full of McFarlane and Byrne run questions. So I'd score zero, and all my mates would laugh and say "Completist! You don't know jack sheet about Spider-Man". Except I don't go to pubs. And have no mates.

To quote one of my favorite artists from an old AOL comics chat:

"Taste in art is subjective...and then there's just bad"

He was referring to Rob Liefeld.

49 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I'll bet anything that it stood out from the rest of the pack on the stands. Considering the story inside it's a perfect cover and honestly anyone who would call that a "lazy" cover is just ignorant.

I thought it was an okay, one-off issue.

Interesting idea at the time.

Edited by Ken Aldred

50 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

30 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Sic 'em Ken! :mad:

@Ken Aldred

Dry humour.

Two Limeys messing about.

...or, an explanation of how you can go, in 27 short issues, from this:

230.thumb.jpg.dd6cb01b540c68f314cb8695588d5d30.jpg :)

....to this:

257.thumb.jpg.f8d692afa6d540913cad00cfeab989ca.jpg :o

In London Lurks the Hulk! I love the London land marks on the covers of these London based issues. Here, you can clearly see the Houses of P- Oh, hang on hm

37 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I really liked McFarlane at the time.

After reading the whole of Claremont's New X-Men run, soon afterwards, I decided to revisit Amazing Spider-Man, eventually reaching the Michelinie / McFarlane issues.

At first, he's quite consistent, and at the level of his run on Incredible Hulk, but, I sense that he starts to overextend himself once you get to issues where he's churning it out bi-monthly.  I often spotted an issue where the first few pages would be done quite well, but, all of a sudden, the artwork starts looking very rough, with poorly-considered layouts and figurework.  It's also around this period that his characters' faces start looking more and more flattened.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Nighthawk's in mental turmoil, thinking...

'No! I'm trapped in this cover, and it's utter pants!

He needn't worry though Ken. The floating heads of Hulk, two birds and a toad looking bloke are on hand to save the day. It's only Madame Webb anyway! Isn't it? hm