• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

833 posts in this topic

Director James Cameron Offers Vague Update On Long-Awaited AVATAR Sequels

Avatar-2-What-We-Know.jpg?resize=640,337

There's a ton of new Avatar movies planned, and the dates are constantly shifting. But there's a very good reason the long-awaited Avatar sequels are seemingly taking forever, and filmmaker James Cameron provided us a with what seems like an explanation.

"It doesn't matter how much you dress it up with great production design and great visual effects. If the story is not working, if you don't connect to the characters, it's just simply not going to work," Cameron said at the Television Critics Association press tour for his new AMC show Visionaries: James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction.

"Of course, we can't afford for it not to work, the budget level that we are dealing with. But, of course, you always have to give yourself permission as an artist to fail no matter what the stakes are," he added. "You've got to try stuff. The least safe thing you can do is try to be safe."

It's almost been 10 years since the first Avatar film wowed audiences in theaters, and Cameron discussed how that film influenced his approach to the sequels.  "I think that the lesson for me from the first film that I've applied to the new films is that the more fantastic the imagery, the more otherworldly and the more you are pushing out to the edge of what's possible in terms of bringing imaginative imagery to the screen, the more it has to be grounded in relationship and in truth and in heart," he explained. "And so I'm hopefully doing that in spades with the new films."

Thankfully, Cameron has a star-studded cast lined up, which includes Titanic's Kate Winslet. "I've got an incredible cast," Cameron praised. "I'm always very cognizant of the casting. I've worked very hard to cast this, to find some new, young actors coming up that have incredible heart and that are just amazing."

During a recent interview, the director opened up about who he’s working with and what they’re working on to help make the 3D as pristine as possible for his eventual Avatar Sequels:

“From my own perspective since I’m not doing television production, I’m doing Avatar sequels – four of them. They will be, to the best of my ability, the best 3D that’s possible to make. That includes collaborating with the people at Dolby Cinema, who have developed high dynamic range projection that could put 16 foot-lamberts of light on a 3D screen through the glasses, which is revolutionary. Normally, you’re looking at about three foot-lamberts. Sixteen is what you should be seeing. That’s what movies should look like.”

He then got even more technical, just to demonstrate the logistics he’s looking into while trying to build towards a future where we don’t even need 3D Glasses anymore!

“We need to see the roll out of these laser projection systems, so that we can fully appreciate 3D through glasses in cinemas. Then, we need the roll out of autostereoscopic screens – large panel displays, where you don’t need glasses at all. You have multiple discreet viewing angles and all that sort of thing. Anybody that’s geeking out on 3D knows what I’m talking about. It’s all possible. It’s just a question of will it happen or not.”

It’d be great if theaters could all get on board with providing the hardware required to properly show 3D movies, because right now it all just feels like a big con job. “Here, pay us $8 more for a 3D ticket. Now go see a movie that was post-converted to 3D (because the studio didn’t see the need to expensively shoot it in 3D since our tech is outdated anyway), and watch a dark, cruddy version of the movie. Thank us later!”

I think by this point most people barely remember Avatar, and I don't know if 2 will gross anywhere near the first one, especially domestically. But never count James Cameron out. His movies are often underestimated(Titanic was supposed to be a disaster until people finally saw it), and then he pulls off the surprise of the century.

The sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time is finally on its way, as James Cameron's second Avatar movie is set to arrive in theaters at the end of 2020. While the film is owned by Fox, that company will soon be the property of Disney, meaning that the House of Mouse will be distributing the Avatar movies going forward.

The deal between Fox and Disney hasn't closed just yet, but Cameron did offer Disney CEO Bob Iger a first look at the upcoming sequel. Iger debuted that footage during Thursday's Disney shareholder meeting in St. Louis, Missouri, making those in attendance the first to see what Cameron has in store for the Avatar franchise.

Interesting that Disney was already able to show a Fox property at an shareholder meeting. Sounds like this is further along than the news would lead you to believe.

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

Maybe Zach wasn’t paying attention to how spectacularly Alita flopped. (shrug)

You'll have to ask Bob Iger. He's got the Disney machine behind this one now.

(shrug)

It will be interesting to see how far Disney can take Avatar 2 in theaters and with home sales.

Avatar_BO190506.PNG.70c607760ac11314721a096a0617d149.PNG

Not sure it will achieve the same results. But even a large portion of this would be impressive.

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

What do we know about avatar 2? I remember hearing, not long after the first one, that the second one was going to take place under water... Did I imagine that?

"The film will heavily feature underwater scenes, actually filmed underwater with the cast in performance capture.[92][93] Blending underwater filming and performance capture being a feature never accomplished before, it took the team a year and a half to develop a new motion capture system..."

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

"The film will heavily feature underwater scenes, actually filmed underwater with the cast in performance capture.[92][93] Blending underwater filming and performance capture being a feature never accomplished before, it took the team a year and a half to develop a new motion capture system..."

Thanks. Yea, that’s what I recall...to include Cameron doing extensive scouting for areas to shoot. Seems like CGI tech advancements would make this endeavor frivolous, but I’m sure there’s a reason for his pursuits...

12 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

What do we know about avatar 2? I remember hearing, not long after the first one, that the second one was going to take place under water... Did I imagine that?

Well, now that the date has been pushed out a year there will be plenty of time to sort out land and water trade-offs. :cool:

I liked avatar, but I did always feel disappointed when I took a step back and looked at the plot and saw how cookie cutter it was (basically a clone of dances with wolves).

It was interesting seeing the post someone made the other day on here though, which stated it was intentional to highlight the cinematography he was pioneering. He didn’t want to take the risk of taking away from that by also introducing an unproven plot. Makes sense, but also a wimpy excuse.

3 hours ago, Oddball said:

Avatar sucked. Lots of dumb things going on I didn’t like. Story was of course straight formula. And I still found myself getting sucked into the visuals and enjoying the experience. 

Although I don't feel strongly either way, I do have to disagree on 'Avatar sucked'. It really had a powerful message about connecting with nature, family and your own value in the world.

But I think because the focus became so much about the imagery, and not enough about the story, that became the focus.Especially the way Avatar was heavily marketed based on the visuals.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although I don't feel strongly either way, I do have to disagree on 'Avatar sucked'. It really had a powerful message about connecting with nature, family and your own value in the world.

But I think because the focus became so much about the imagery, and not enough about the story, that became the focus.Especially the way Avatar was heavily marketed based on the visuals.

Might be more boring than Solo.