• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 97 Rusty

7 posts in this topic

without seeing the back.....which can b very important....looks like a few tics on the spine.....i think there's some   creasing on the bottom edge on the right and appears to be rust migration on the staples...is that a scratch coming out of Spidey's right calf ? It's pretty hard  2 c in the bag. The corners look good and the colors r great. Slight rust migration would put it no higher than a 7.0 i believe ...........Minor rust migration would put it at around 6.0  I would think it is at least that.  I would ask James Johnson i bet he know's how to grade a comic based on Rust migration.

1 hour ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

without seeing the back.....which can b very important....looks like a few tics on the spine.....i think there's some   creasing on the bottom edge on the right and appears to be rust migration on the staples...is that a scratch coming out of Spidey's right calf ? It's pretty hard  2 c in the bag. The corners look good and the colors r great. Slight rust migration would put it no higher than a 7.0 i believe ...........Minor rust migration would put it at around 6.0  I would think it is at least that.  I would ask James Johnson i bet he know's how to grade a comic based on Rust migration.

Most oxidized staples have also rusted the paper. Sometimes you get lucky and the rust of the staples hasn't migrated enough to the surrounding paper from around or under the staples to be visible to the naked eye without using magnification. In the case of this 97, it has. There's rust on the spine, and we can't see how much there is or isn't on the centerfold paper around the staples. The grade here depends on being able to see the centerfold, inside the spine, etc., etc, in other words, to grade it with some degree of logic, when you see rusted staples, you need a 360 degree view of those staples, as much of them and the paper immediately surrounding them to give a good grade estimate. Based on what images are provided, 7.0 would be a safe guess.

2 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Also, with rusted staples, the advent of storage comes into consideration. Where the book was stored for the majority of its life. Rust is exacerbated by moisture. Most comics stored in a basement = a moist environment, which exacerbated the oxidation. So aside from the staples, when present, a book with rusty staples should also be meticulously examined for waves, tidelines, spotting, mildew, etc., etc, the typical signs of moist/damp environment long-term storage, which also will effect the grade accordingly. Some of these textural surface defects cannot be readily seen on even clear, high quality scans.

Edited by James J Johnson

I agree the book probably makes 7.0, at best. This is a bad flaw, it can get worse over time, even if it's slabbed. Most collectors I know stay away from rusty staples, especially this bad. IMO, it is not worth submitting. I would sell it, disclosing the rust, and move on.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree the book probably makes 7.0, at best. This is a bad flaw, it can get worse over time, even if it's slabbed. Most collectors I know stay away from rusty staples, especially this bad. IMO, it is not worth submitting. I would sell it, disclosing the rust, and move on.

+1. It can get worse over time, even if stored in archival material and in an ideal, temperature/moisture controlled environment. Once the oxidation process has begun it will deteriorate further, even if removed from the environs that caused it in the first place. Along with brittle paper, oxidation/rust is the closest equivalent to cancer for comic books.

I had a 57 Chevy with rusty headliner bows. It ate through the cloth like acid. I love water damaged silver and bronze with rusty staples cause the shop owners around me toss them in the dollar bins. 

But the staples come out. Some just disappear by themselves.