• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Whiz Comics 4

11 posts in this topic

This is a qualified copy. I acquired the cover from a boardie and I just recently found a coverless copy on eBay

Im thinking about sending it to cgc for presentation purposes and I'm wondering what qualified grade I might expect if I pop the coverless book into the cover. Any ideas?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4964.thumb.PNG.8721f5c4f6f460738cfdb7da1d80e0fd.PNGIMG_4961.thumb.PNG.b0a0a26899cc3edaccb6d019ce9979ac.PNGIMG_4962.thumb.PNG.5ab19522739a226af19329b230a818b4.PNGIMG_4965.thumb.PNG.5fd5aacee19c60e6949a3a483562a412.PNGIMG_4966.thumb.PNG.e1e57d4ec5dff59bfa5b54d9d527a96e.PNG

5 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

apparent 4.0 but possibly brittle edges to interior pages :eyeroll: meaning downgrade to app. 1.5?

Thanks for the input! So are you saying it would come back with a purple label? What keeps it from being green? I have essentially zero experience with restored, or conserved comics. It's  quite a learning curve and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Edited by Cydwarren
Grammar

11 minutes ago, Cydwarren said:

So are you saying it would come back with a purple label? What keeps it from being green?

To clarify, it should be Green married label. My main concern is that if Cgc designates interior with brittle edges, the Green grade would be lower than 2.0 even though the covers are sharp.

Cover is real nice, and the artwork fantastic. A Whiz 4 cover that nice? A rusting, brittle interior? I wouldn't let them even touch one another. Set a time frame, say a year. I'm sure you'll find a bargain on a sound, coverless #4. Then you send cover and interior out to a preacher to be professionally, properly married, you submit the finished product and you'll have either a beautiful addition to your collection, or a piece to sell that will bring more than the expense incurred, I'm sure, as we'll be talking qualified FN or better without another else done other than attaching the cover.

I agree. I've been searching for a coverless copy for months and I finally found the one above, but it just doesn't match. I'll just have to continue the search! Once I do find a better coverless copy, who is a good company to send it to to be married? What is the cost of something like that? @James J Johnson

5 hours ago, Cydwarren said:

I agree. I've been searching for a coverless copy for months and I finally found the one above, but it just doesn't match. I'll just have to continue the search! Once I do find a better coverless copy, who is a good company to send it to to be married? What is the cost of something like that? @James J Johnson

Not much expense, and I favor Classics Conservatory as being one of the best in the biz and affordably reasonable. There's a member here also. I've seen a few posts of his, showing some of his work, and it's top notch. I can't remember his forum ID but I do know that he worked with Matt. He's great too! I'm sure another member will guide you to him.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, Cydwarren said:

I think the member's name was Joey, possibly Joey Post or something to that effect. I remember seeing examples of his leaf casting entire new sections of cover, with major new areas that were indistinguishable from the vintage paper and thinking, "That's not restoration, that's magic. He must have used a magic wand to do that". It was the best I've ever seen, bar none. :bigsmile: