• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Married Cover Question - Whiz Comics 4

7 posts in this topic

I am considering sending this in to CGC for presentation purposes. I bought the cover from a boardie and the coverless book from eBay.

My question is: Is it as easy as just poping the coverless book into the cover and sending it off? If so, would it come back conserved with a "married and cover detached" distinction? Lastly, any idea of a ballpark conserved grade?

Any insight is appreciated!

Cyd

IMG_4964.thumb.PNG.5ee4dd16862f445170cc1b184b61a326.PNGIMG_4963.thumb.PNG.4c772f2d3ef95c793ad9ea7cd11529fa.PNGIMG_4962.thumb.PNG.af82fbd2b4ca4612dc1a57b61b20bcec.PNGIMG_4965.thumb.PNG.5ed494cc82c3b8e744d3ca8d33972f1e.PNGIMG_4966.thumb.PNG.ba12b73df5770c067745347d3454774c.PNG

I would get it professionally married, attach the staples. While you are at it, consider getting the staples replaced with original staples. That bottom staple looks very rusty. There is another thread discussing a married cover situation. The book received a Qualified Green Label. If you go your route, a detached cover in a Blue label will grade very low.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would get it professionally married, attach the staples. While you are at it, consider getting the staples replaced with original staples. That bottom staple looks very rusty. There is another thread discussing a married cover situation. The book received a Qualified Green Label. If you go your route, a detached cover in a Blue label will grade very low.

I'm under the impression that if I sent it in as is, it would come back as conserved because cgc would be able to tell that the cover isn't the original to the book. Isn't that true? Would it still come back a very low grade green label as is? Also, the coverless book is pretty low grade. Would it be worth it to have those professional services done when the book seems to be a much lower grade than the cover? 

3 minutes ago, Cydwarren said:

I'm under the impression that if I sent it in as is, it would come back as conserved because cgc would be able to tell that the cover isn't the original to the book. Isn't that true? Would it still come back a very low grade green label as is? Also, the coverless book is pretty low grade. Would it be worth it to have those professional services done when the book seems to be a much lower grade than the cover? 

I honestly don't know the answers to any of your questions. I do have another idea. You mentioned you only wanted it slabbed for presentation purposes. Perhaps you can send it in, with the cover, and ask for a NoGrade, NG . (shrug)

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I honestly don't know the answers to any of your questions. I do have another idea. You mentioned you only wanted it slabbed for presentation purposes. Perhaps you can send it in, with the cover, and ask for a NoGrade, NG . (shrug)

That's a possibility. Thank you for your input!

Btw, do you have a link for the married thread you referenced above? ...or know about how long ago it was active? I ran a search and didn't find it.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:59 PM, Cydwarren said:

I am considering sending this in to CGC for presentation purposes. I bought the cover from a boardie and the coverless book from eBay.

My question is: Is it as easy as just poping the coverless book into the cover and sending it off? If so, would it come back conserved with a "married and cover detached" distinction? Lastly, any idea of a ballpark conserved grade?

Any insight is appreciated!

Cyd

Nothing is easy (and the Pope has nothing to do with it.) I seriously doubt a book would come back with a "'married and cover detached' distinction," it's either one or the other. And if it did (or other books have) that's just creative license on CGC's part. I'd go with Bomber Bob's initial recommendation.

Edited by divad