• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is the Modern Day Matt Baker?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Matt Baker.  To know him is to love him.  He needs no further explanation in our GA section here, as his art is already widely adored.

But here’s a fun Q — who of today’s artists deserve his GGA mantle?

Artgerm (Stanley Lau) comes to mind.  Dell’Otto knocks supeheroes outta the park but doesn’t do much with GGA.  Hughes and Campbell have their devotees, Jim Lee sometimes nails it (Psylocke & Rogue, hello). Mattina?  Or does no one even come close?

They just have different styles.     I'm not sure there is a "matt baker" today or if Matt Baker working today would even look like Matt Baker working yesterday (given that almost no one uses a brush anymore).

9 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I thought Jenny Frison did a real nice romance-type cover for IDW a few years back.  And her Wonder Woman covers are really nice.

The Dreamer 2.jpg

The background has a strong 1970's DC romance vibe.

28 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Very fun discussion.  Also, I’ll submit Luis Royo.  Got an OA of his coming in, and it’s hawt.

Royo is great.  I've been looking for an affordable original.  Doesn't look like I'll ever be lucky there....

The thing for me at least that makes Baker art so nice is that it is close to reality, the women are not the Annie Fannie/Jessica Rabbit exaggerations that are so prevalent today with ridiculous proportions and poses that are physically impossible to replicate in real life. I don't know who does that today outside of illustration work.

No disrespect meant to Dave Stevens, and I’ll admit I don’t collect his stuff or know his work that well, but he looks more like the modern day Al Feldstein or Bob Lubbers to me than a Matt Baker.

Bakers women are subtlely sexy...fully or at least partially clothed ... and not at risk of falling forward with every step.

Again, don’t get me wrong there’s plenty of room in my world for the subtle and the overt, but looking at the examples offered I don’t see more than a hint of Baker influence in any of them.

15 hours ago, Yorick said:

Frank Cho?

+1 Frank Cho has my vote too.

A lot of modern comic artists take such liberties with anatomy that the art appears absurd to me. A decade ago I would've probably considered much Golden Age art to be "crude" - and perhaps it is, but to my current eye it compares more favorably to modern comic art. Especially in regards to GGA. (Just my opinion - art is very subjective!)

That said, I think Frank Cho bucks the trend and captures a more 'realistic', yet attractive, female form.