• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is the Modern Day Matt Baker?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

No disrespect meant to Dave Stevens, and I’ll admit I don’t collect his stuff or know his work that well, but he looks more like the modern day Al Feldstein or Bob Lubbers to me than a Matt Baker.

Bakers women are subtlely sexy...fully or at least partially clothed ... and not at risk of falling forward with every step.

Again, don’t get me wrong there’s plenty of room in my world for the subtle and the overt, but looking at the examples offered I don’t see more than a hint of Baker influence in any of them.

Subtle?  Not going to fall forward with each step?  :signfunny:

0.jpg

478eae077f682e58a22ea7e009047cd5.jpg

phantomlady17.jpg

2 hours ago, Nick's Comics said:

Subtle?  Not going to fall forward with each step?  :signfunny:

0.jpg

478eae077f682e58a22ea7e009047cd5.jpg

phantomlady17.jpg

Oh Lordy I don’t wanna step into the Baker attribution quagmire...especially when it comes to my favorite GA book PL 17 ... but I’ll grant that Bakers non romance comic work, more so the interiors than covers, could be less than subtle.  

Still it’s all relative.  Baker was more subtle than his contemporaries, though he was constrained by the subject matter he was generally assigned to and his target audience... girls romance books didn’t call for overt sexuality.  

At any rate, when I see a Dave Stevens cover I think ... the guy that drew that probably owned a copy of Wings #90... not CL 25.

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

SCHULTZ.jpg

I see way more Frazetta, or perhaps Williamson, here - maybe even Raymond. Dave Stevens especially channeled Frazetta. That fantastic 3-D Sheena cover Stevens did has a Frazetta-type woman with a little touch of a Burne Hogarth background.  Great stuff all.  :golfclap:

23 hours ago, ender said:

chultz I would nominate Mark Schultz from Xenozoic Tales.  He doesn't do much anymore but for me hit that middle ground of realistic and pretty

Image result for mark schultz art

I definitely think Schultz is more like Frazetta.  Incredible detail, but not very prolific in output.  Baker was a machine in producing covers and stories.