• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the cheapest anyone’s seen AC 1 or DC 27

80 posts in this topic

Speaking of Action 1, has anyone seen the Action 1 voldy high grade on Comicconnect? IGB work I presume? I was surprised to see a Tec 38 lower grade unrestored on the bay being sold by them too. Thought they work on every book to make em high grade.

23 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

I did remember a quick story about the quarter boxes outside Burt's room - I found a JIM1 in there... First book bought on the inside may have been Bat11=$3. My tweenage head was rotating rather rapidly in there; the most delicious part was how anything was possible...

bookshop.JPG

What year did you first start going to cherokee?  My first year was 1966, and the Batman 11 in the window was $25 then.  Burt had long hair, sunglasses, and burned incense in the inner room.  I liked Burt because he would give you deals.  One day I asked him if there were any comics for $1 in the inner room.  He pulled a cardboard box out from under his desk that was full of Batmans from like #60-#90.  Here's two of them...notice they have the same arrival markings in the top left corner...

16388703337_b0365a1894_c.jpg

16548633376_c8ed8a5d74_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

4 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Speaking of Action 1, has anyone seen the Action 1 voldy high grade on Comicconnect? IGB work I presume? I was surprised to see a Tec 38 lower grade unrestored on the bay being sold by them too. Thought they work on every book to make em high grade.

Yup Don't know why they don't fix the 38 its brittle and even tho people say you cant fix brittle I did see a bad brittle book get clean and supple back in the 80's

Better pic of Cherokee comics

Newsstand-35 Detective 27 Action 1.jpg

I have tried to puzzle out the time frame, still without definitive success. 1963 or 1964 is my best guess, but AC1$60 is fact. That would be approximately third or fourth visit, perhaps the first time we brought Lane Carter as he was there. Here is an early quarter box book (not same copy) that was both very wonderful and very confusing...

img719.jpg

6 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

I have tried to puzzle out the time frame, still without definitive success. 1963 or 1964 is my best guess, but AC1$60 is fact. That would be approximately third or fourth visit, perhaps the first time we brought Lane Carter as he was there. Here is an early quarter box book (not same copy) that was both very wonderful and very confusing...

img719.jpg

Ah...the old confusing IW reprint...(thumbsu

20 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yes , CC AC1 is no doubt their work.

IGB: Tec 38 CGC 2.5 Brittle ( very nice copy by the way, shame about the Brittle designation )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-38-CGC-2-5-Looks-Much-Better-Origin-1st-Robin-Batman-Key/132475043827?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

was very recently this:

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DDetective%2BComics%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1208596

CGC really hammered the page quality on the resub.

Edited by Gotham Kid

The book might have been improperly stored and went brittle in an area? Or when igb removes the glue it exposed splits and brittleness Cgc could detect due to glue?

i once had a slight restored more fun that had sb pages due to splits. Sent to have them sealed, got ow pages upon resubmission 

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

What number of Detective are you Peter ? Great Detective work.(thumbsu I think you might be ashcan copy no number add yourself to the Sig line.:D

Good eye on the Tec 38 Peter. Interesting to know about the possibility of any brittleness exposed when removing glue and such. Didn't know that at all.

Maybe somewhere down the line IGB will eventually fully restore the book to high grade.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, misterrmystery said:

A friend of mine bought an Action 1 at a small local show in the late 70's for around $150. He later completed the entire run.

No A1 could be found for $150 in the late 70s. More like 2-3k for lower grade copies.

Edited by twmjr1

Not a Action 1, but in 1969 I asked my dad to buy me a Superman 1 at My Friends Book store on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn. Paul Levitz later worked there as well as Roger Stern. They were known for their considerable comic inventory probably more then their books.  They said they could get a Superman 1 for $100. My dad said no way would he pay $100 for a "used comic". The grade was never even discussed. So instead he got me a Act 37 and Batman 14, for $20 each. Both around vg+/fine.

I recall seeing an Action 1 for sale at the 1971 NYC July 4th convention. I was only 12 at the time, so no way I could afford the $200 ask price. I do not remember the dealer or condition. 

Much later, around 1982 I was at a book store on 86th street on Brooklyn NY. The owner was known to deal in comics. Fischler often went there; I did not go there so much. Anyway, I was offered a Act 1 for $1800 at the time. I think it was around fine. I just did not have the money for it.

Edited by otherworldsj331

4 hours ago, otherworldsj331 said:

Much later, around 1982 I was at a book store on 86th street on Brooklyn NY. The owner was known to deal in comics. Fischler often went there

Somewhere there has to be footage of Steve strutting down 86 Street towards that comic shop, with "Staying Alive" playing in the background, ala Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever"!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Dark Knight said:

I believe the Tec 38 was a CGC graded book as well.

I remember in the late 80s (probably '89 or '90) at a Bob Horn Philly area show, that one of the regular dealers had an Action #1 and he was asking 10K.  It was the only Action #1 that I'd ever seen at any of the Philly area shows.  It was probably G/VG and negotiable.  If anyone remembers those shows, I recall that he was a taller heavy-set dude with a beard and a wandering eye.  Like everyone else has shared, 10K to me at that time might as well have been 10 billion.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, Dark Knight said:

I would assume it's IGB hm It sold today 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=755924