• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

It seems a lot of people are assuming/hoping that Disney has learned the lesson that they want them to take away from this; that they’ve been chastened by the fan response to TLJ and the lack-luster box office of SOLO and will now change direction. 

It could very well be that Disney/Kennedy/Johnson are drawing the opposite conclusion; that SOLO proves that audiences don’t care about the OT characters and are only interested in the new SW universe they’re creating. 

It won’t surprise me one bit if they double-down on the next film. 

Edited by Number 6

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It seems a lot of people are assuming/hoping that Disney has learned the lesson that they want them to take away from this; that they’ve been chastened by the fan response to TLJ and the lack-luster box office of SOLO and will now change direction. 

It could very well be that Disney/Kennedy/Johnson are drawing the opposite conclusion; that SOLO proves that audiences don’t care about the OT characters and are only interested in the new SW universe they’re creating. 

Sadly, I think you're right that Disney's (lack of) braintrust is going to draw the completely wrong conclusions from fan reaction to the last two films (I can't comment on the merits of "Solo" because I was never really interested in seeing it, mainly because a Han Solo origin movie never held any appeal for me).

The worst part of an old vs. new conclusion would be that the audience at large is already drawn to the new cast, The Force Awakens clearly proved that with its box office haul.  A blind man can see that the backlash over The Last Jedi has nothing to do with old vs. new, it's because TLJ suffers from many of the same maladies that Episodes I - III do -- bad -script, hokey subplots, "name" actors forced into roles they don't fit, and that overall "fake" feeling. 

I was watching TFA for about the 40th time last night, and one thing that I especially love about that movie is that it brought back a sense of realness to Star Wars.  In addition to the characters actually feeling human (for lack of a better term) in their interactions, TFA has many nuances that serve to raise the audience's emotion level -- the transports hitting the ground under fire in the opening scene and the Stormtroopers immediately come pouring out shouting orders and firing, the X-Wings coming in from the horizon kicking up a wave of water for cover, even something as small as BB8's reactions to situations.  Does TFA have its faults, like being a bit too derivative of IV - VI at times?  Sure.  But is it a whole heck of a lot of fun to watch?  You better bleeping believe it.

TLJ was missing all of that.  I legitimately feel bad for the cast taking heat from the social media warriors over TLJ though, because it wasn't their fault the movie sucks.  They did the best with what they had, in fact they alone probably saved TLJ from being an Attack of the Clones level mess/unintentional comedy (I seriously can't watch watch Hayden Christensen whining "I hate them!" without nearly laughing myself to tears).

Give the audience what they want to see, and they'll show up in droves.  Tell them what they want to see, and they'll show you a bunch of middle fingers.  Is Disney's ego too big to listen?  I guess we'll see.

I think most people who saw TFA did so because the original cast was showcased in the marketing. The "Chewie, we're home" bit from the second trailer was the centerpiece of the marketing, and that's what got the GA really excited about the movie. Rey, Finn and Poe are not popular enough on their own to attract audiences to SW. Expect Lando to be heavily showcased in the marketing for IX, the Falcon, maybe a Luke force ghost, and some other callbacks to the OT. By hiring J.J. for the next installment, Lucasfilm knows they have a problem.

Edited by Larryw7

There was a lot of fresh ideas in The Last Jedi to save it for me.

Not everyone is going like everything thrown at them, but it was an effort.

The first movie was a fairy-tale alternative to the "things" that were happening in the 70's.  An escape, that galvanized the summer blockbuster experience.

We are 41 years later, in the 21st century, with a wannabe blockbuster released just about every weekend.

You just can't release the same toned fairy-tale and get the same results, as George Lucas found out how sy-fy changed in '99 with The Matrix, when the much anticipated "The Phantom Menace" came out.

Since 1927's "Metropolis," the most acclaimed films in the science-fiction genre has depended on a day-to-day basic parable for film-goers to connect with (see last year's "Get Out.")  43 years later, I still can watch "The Stepford Wives," will I be able to say the same thing about "Rampage" or "Transformers: The Last Knight?"

My 2c 

On 7/13/2018 at 10:28 AM, Number 6 said:

that would be a big mistake 2c 

I just think it's funny nobody wanted to believe the TLJ hate was strong, now they're getting a little taste of the SeaCow teat

Edited by Azkaban

Rogue One is still one of my favourite SW movies.  While maybe too derivative, I really enjoyed SWFA.  TLJ was just flat out not a good film. I watched TLJ on Netflix. First time since seeing it in the theatre. I thought maybe on second viewing I would have a different opinion. Nope. Still really, really don't like it.  I think there was a decent movie "in there" but there was just too much junk.

Hopefully Disney sees the error of their ways (did they really NOT have the whole trilogy scripted before hand?) and rights the ship.

14 hours ago, Azkaban said:

that would be a big mistake 2c 

I just think it's funny nobody wanted to believe the TLJ hate was strong, now they're getting a little taste of the SeaCow teat

And that is some bitter milk.

For me at least, the up coming movie cannot salvage a first installment, that while well made is a complete remake of the first and a second installment that is simply a terribly made movie. It could end up being Citizen Kane but i just don't care anymore and I don't see how cohesiveness over the arc is even a possibility at this point. I'm out!

For those enjoying the last movie (TLJ), that's great! I don't want to sound like a hater, their just movies after all.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

1 hour ago, Mr Sneeze said:

For me at least, the up coming movie cannot salvage a first installment, that while well made is a complete remake of the first and a second installment that is simply a terribly made movie. It could end up being Citizen Kane but i just don't care anymore and I don't see how cohesiveness over the arc is even a possibility at this point. I'm out!

But what if it’s Episode IX: The Poke of Lando, in which Lando is declared the new King of England??? hm

On 7/13/2018 at 12:40 PM, Larryw7 said:

I think most people who saw TFA did so because the original cast was showcased in the marketing. The "Chewie, we're home" bit from the second trailer was the centerpiece of the marketing, and that's what got the GA really excited about the movie. Rey, Finn and Poe are not popular enough on their own to attract audiences to SW. Expect Lando to be heavily showcased in the marketing for IX, the Falcon, maybe a Luke force ghost, and some other callbacks to the OT. By hiring J.J. for the next installment, Lucasfilm knows they have a problem.

Yeah.  Ahsoka Tano from the cartoon is a character that can hold her own.  Finn is pointless, practically comic relief, and Poe is like Gold Leader 4 level of interesting.  Rey is okay, but not actually compelling.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, Larryw7 said:

Not me. I figured the old characters would have a cameo, and that's about it. 

I WANTED something new. I WANTED new characters. I LIKE the new characters. A lot of people liked the new characters...

On 7/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, Larryw7 said:

By hiring J.J. for the next installment, Lucasfilm knows they have a problem.

I think they wanted JJ for all of these movies in the first place. He just didn’t want to devote his life to making a new Star Wars movie every year. He’s a great filmmaker, so it’s good to have him doing it.

When you say ‘Lucasfilm’ has a problem, what ‘problem’ is it you think they have?

Since the first movie they’ve created the #2 and #3 highest grossing Star Wars movies ever, both domestically and worldwide. You think they’re worried about online critics? I’ll make a movie every day of the week that fan boys hate, but that brings in $1.3 BILLION at the box office.