• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I was 4 when the first SW movie came out. 

I wasn’t outraged by Phantom Menace; just remember when the credits rolled thinking “ soooo...that’s it then.”  Very disappointed. 

Looking back it shouldn’t have surprised me as the content of the prequels was never meant to be - and shouldn’t have been - the main story. 

It was a bit of a bummer that Phantom was such a lame-o film after all that build up.  Although it was worse having to see a p*ss*-whipped Vader.   That was just....sad.   There were cool parts in all the prequels but I probably won’t watch them again. 

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

See and that's just it. (And I'm not picking on you - we all have our wants and want nots of what we want in a Star Wars movie)

What do you change?

In an age of social media, there will always be SOMEONE who doesn't like what is changed and they'll go to great lengths to try and make it an issue of outrage. The Last Jedi was claimed to have been sabotaged by a Facebook group “Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys” - (it would explain how the score is a 46% on RT and 73% on imdb) and Rotten Tomatoes went out of their way to block the FB group when they said before the movie they were going to try and sabotage Black Panthers RT score.  

Do these losers not have anything better to do with their time? Go troll a terrorist facebook account, be useful with your existence.

So really, it's best the studio just make the movie they want to make. Because if you're going to get blasted one way or the other, you may as well do what YOU believe in. Eatin' s**t trying to please people is the worst way to go out.

I’m all for taking Star Wars in new directions. I thought that TFA was a soft, safe reboot meant to give the established fans that shot of nostalgia while trying to seed the next generation’s audience.  

I had expected TLJ to break off from that theme (although he certainly stole a few things from ESB so not that new) There were several things about TLJ I didn’t like, and none of it really had anything to do with a change in ‘direction’. More so the method in which it was told. When you’re telling a 3 part story, you don’t take plots and threads from the first part and toss them aside for the second. Now going into the the third there is very little story wise to go on. No hook.  

And this movie had AT-ATs. And I still didn’t like it. ?

1 hour ago, bentbryan said:

It was a bit of a bummer that Phantom was such a lame-o film after all that build up.  Although it was worse having to see a p*ss*-whipped Vader.   That was just....sad.   There were cool parts in all the prequels but I probably won’t watch them again. 

Chancellor Emperor - “Hey, she’s gonna die you know.”

Hayden Vader - ‘Really?  Well I guess I should be evil now.’

Chancellor Emperor - “Rockin’. I’ma call you...Darth....uh...Vader.”

Best origin ever.  :roflmao:

5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Chancellor Emperor - “Hey, she’s gonna die you know.”

Hayden Vader - ‘Really?  Well I guess I should be evil now.’

Chancellor Emperor - “Rockin’. I’ma call you...Darth....uh...Vader.”

Best origin ever.  :roflmao:

to this day every time I watch Palpatine tell Anakin how strong with the force he is with that little curl and twist in his lip creeps me out, like an old creepy pervy uncle that never married. 

6 hours ago, fett said:

to this day every time I watch Palpatine tell Anakin how strong with the force he is with that little curl and twist in his lip creeps me out, like an old creepy pervy uncle that never married. 

True dat.  Heck I’d say most of their interactions in III give off that vibe.

Really wish everyone in the movie business would get back to creating a story and not worry about projections and the business side of things. There hasn't been an original thought in Hollywood for what seems to be ages.

We live in a age of rehash, rehash, rehash.

18 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Really wish everyone in the movie business would get back to creating a story and not worry about projections and the business side of things. There hasn't been an original thought in Hollywood for what seems to be ages.

We live in a age of rehash, rehash, rehash.

There are still good movies out there, you may have to look harder to find them. Alex Garland’s last two films were pretty brilliant I thought (Ex Machina and Annihilation). 

4 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

There are still good movies out there, you may have to look harder to find them. Alex Garland’s last two films were pretty brilliant I thought (Ex Machina and Annihilation). 

Haven't seen those, but yeah, the better films are not well advertised. Sometimes not at all

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, IkewithMike said:

Exactly. I really really wish Hollywood would just make movies again. Instead, there is a big to do about getting a target audience and making the most profit.

Hollywood makes plenty of movies like this. However no one goes to see them (or least not like the numbers for these other films).

On 8/9/2018 at 7:40 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

I heard a lot of good things about Annihilation but I also heard it has a fair amount of body-horror which is not my thing at all. 

It’s based on a book - one of a series, I believe - so I have the book on my must-read list. 

I gather the movie didn’t do well at the box office so I guess the other books probably won’t get filmed. 

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I heard a lot of good things about Annihilation but I also heard it has a fair amount of body-horror which is not my thing at all. 

It’s based on a book - one of a series, I believe - so I have the book on my must-read list. 

I gather the movie didn’t do well at the box office so I guess the other books probably won’t get filmed. 

I didn’t know about the book until after I saw the film. Boy am I glad I had a chance to see it on a big screen. One of the most intense experiences I’ve had seeing a film ( no other way to word that) and truly horrifying in parts. I look forward to reading the book as well.

16 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I didn’t know about the book until after I saw the film. Boy am I glad I had a chance to see it on a big screen. One of the most intense experiences I’ve had seeing a film ( no other way to word that) and truly horrifying in parts. I look forward to reading the book as well.

Yeah, one of the internet reviewers I watch said that the “bear” is one of the most pure nightmare-fuel things he’s ever seen. :eek:

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Hollywood makes plenty of movies like this. However no one goes to see them (or least not like the numbers for these other films).

Like what

On 8/10/2018 at 6:49 PM, IkewithMike said:

Like what

Anyone who claims Hollywood is "unoriginal" just isn't looking in the right places.

Other recent classics include:

Get Out -- a truly original -- and well-done -- horror film. Justly awarded the Oscar for Best Screenplay.

Arrival -- Amazingly well-done sci-fi, and Amy Adams was robbed for Best Actress -- she inexplicably wasn't even nominated.

Sicario -- same genre as Traffic 15 years ago but smaller in scope and much more compelling.

Hell or High Water -- a true modern-day western. Extraordinary, and the first film that convinced me Chris Pine has some true acting chops.

Next up -- I'm _really_ looking forward to the Matthew McConaughey / Anne Hathaway psychological thriller Serenity.

I saw the Sicario sequel a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Man, just a brutal, hard hitting movie with great performances. Josh Brolin is always great, and Benicio Del Toro is fantastic - really ALL the performances are top notch - I need to see the first movie.

I'll also add:

The Post

Disaster Artist

Kodachrome

Train to Busan (a really cool Korean zombie movie)

(There are film markets throughout the world; UK, France, India, China, Taiwan, Japan, etc., that make exceptional films ever year.)

Anything by Alex Garland: Ex Machina, Annihilation...

Can't wait for Blackkklansman, which looks really good....

There are others, even more mainstream, I was entertained by... Atomic Blonde, Equalizer 2... as well as many foreign films...

But it's tough to recommend movies to people, because everyone has their own ideas about what they want, and usually, it's simple, regurgitated pap. (shrug)

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

I saw the Sicario sequel a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Man, just a brutal, hard hitting movie with great performances. Josh Brolin is always great, and Benicio Del Toro is fantastic - really ALL the performances are top notch - I need to see the first movie.

Benicio del Toro’s...let’s say unique..method of firing a pistol in the previews was one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever seen.  

10 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Benicio del Toro’s...let’s say unique..method of firing a pistol in the previews was one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever seen.  

It's the movies. Nobody shoots weapons or fights with kung fu in real life the way they do in the movies.

12 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

It's the movies. Nobody shoots weapons or fights with kung fu in real life the way they do in the movies.

"It's the movies" does not invalidate 'one of the most idiotic things I’ve ever seen'.  Much like TLJ (see how I circled back?) and Michelob Ultra commercials, Mr. Spray and Pray trigger finger also offended my sensibilities.