• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The single biggest hint that JJ dropped for this in Force Awakens was Leia hugging Rey the very first time she saw her.  Why would she do that if she didn't feel some kinship to her?  The scene makes NO sense unless Leia already knows who Rey is since they were strangers up until that moment as far as Rey or the audience knows.  The fact that we also see Leia hugging Rey in this trailer seems to pick right back up with that same thread Abrams left lying around in the first film.

Same goes for Kylo's intense interest in her in Force Awakens.  From the moment that First Order commander tells Kylo that a girl helped BB-8 escape from Jakku he's oddly interested in who the girl is.  He's an obsessive guy so that could explain it, but that scene, too, along with all of his ongoing fondness for her makes far more sense if he's already aware of Rey for whatever reason, perhaps because they're both descendants of his idol, Anakin.

I get all this but still think it would be the easy / obvious / cop-out choice. Equivalent to the mess ending of "How I Met Your Mother" where he ends up with Robin after all.

Plus, articles are already appearing online discussing how JJ may "retcon" Rey's lineage so she *is* significant after all (a la a Skywalker or Kenobi).

I don't think this would be a retcon because everyone seems to be ignoring _the source_ of that information -- Kylo Ren, at the very moment they've defeated Snoke and his minions and he's trying to woo her to his side.

The thought I had instantly in the theater is the blindingly obvious choice: he's lying.

He has every reason to lie to her in that moment, and she's both physically exhausted and emotionally vulnerable to fall for it -- take his words at face value.

So...there's no retcon needed.

Should Rey turn out to be someone other than the child of "nobody," "filthy junk traders" -- it's entirely consistent with what we saw in The Last Jedi -- we'd simply learn that Kylo lied, which is entirely in character for him.

Edited by Gatsby77

16 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Plus, articles are already appearing online discussing how JJ may "retcon" Rey's lineage so she *is* significant after all (a la a Skywalker or Kenobi).

I don't think this would be a retcon because everyone seems to be ignoring _the source_ of that information -- Kylo Ren, at the very moment they've defeated Snoke and his minions and he's trying to woo her to his side.

The thought I had instantly in the theater is the blindingly obvious choice: he's lying.

Or he's only telling her part of the truth.  Perhaps the people on Jakku that raised her were exactly who he said but weren't her real parents and she didn't know it.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:36 PM, Werner_Von_Doom said:

After watching the Clone Wars tv show, this is how I try to imagine how it went down instead of what we saw in ANH. Also, it sounds so weird to hear Obi-Wan call him Darth instead of Anakin.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Looks like the next film has been announced, and it doesn't have Rian Johnson attached. Still no date tied to anything Rian...good sign...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/14/18623128/star-wars-movie-2022-game-of-thrones-benioff-weiss-bob-iger-rian-johnson-disney

And yet...Twitter's going a bit crazy actually criticizing this news, given how horrible this week's episode of Game of Thrones was.

Pretty funny to see the tides turn that quickly, even if D&D somehow manage to turn it around next week.

Even the comments so far on that Verge article itself are pretty damning...

Edited by Gatsby77

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

And yet...Twitter's going a bit crazy actually criticizing this news, given how horrible this week's episode of Game of Thrones was.

Pretty funny to see the tides turn that quickly, even if D&D somehow manage to turn it around next week.

Where have you been? I feel like I haven't seen you post in a week? Sick of me? lol

Yeah, all of my friends on Facebook are lighting GOT ablaze right now. They're all pissed, and this after some raising the debate of "Endgame vs GOT S8".

8 seasons of a show is a lot more material than a film trilogy. However, I understand that the first 7(?) seasons were mostly based on the books, is that correct? So they've had 1 season to 'wing it' and are getting yin/yang reactions between episodes? Doesn't seem good.

44 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Where have you been? I feel like I haven't seen you post in a week? Sick of me? lol

Yeah, all of my friends on Facebook are lighting GOT ablaze right now. They're all pissed, and this after some raising the debate of "Endgame vs GOT S8".

8 seasons of a show is a lot more material than a film trilogy. However, I understand that the first 7(?) seasons were mostly based on the books, is that correct? So they've had 1 season to 'wing it' and are getting yin/yang reactions between episodes? Doesn't seem good.

Actually, the show surpassed the source material towards the end of Season 6, so Season 7-8 = up to Benioff and Weiss.

Benioff's one of my favorite writers of the last 20 years, for his book The 25th Hour, which he wrote while working as a bouncer.

But I'm still shocked by both their creative decisions and the brutal fan reactions to the last two weeks of GOT episodes, which were a betrayal of the personalities of at least four characters we've come to know over nearly a decade.

If, in 2009, someone had told me that in 2019 Mark Hamill will be playing Luke Skywalker is a Star Wars movie and I would have no desire to see the movie in the theater, let alone not buy tickets for opening day, I would have asked if I was in a coma.  40 years of movies, comics, toys, novels, and here we are.

I assume many others feel the same way as the last comment in this thread was on May 20.

Ugh.

6 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

If, in 2009, someone had told me that in 2019 Mark Hamill will be playing Luke Skywalker is a Star Wars movie and I would have no desire to see the movie in the theater, let alone not buy tickets for opening day, I would have asked if I was in a coma.  40 years of movies, comics, toys, novels, and here we are.

I assume many others feel the same way as the last comment in this thread was on May 20.

Ugh.

I pretty much have to see it in theaters. Usually twice.

As bad as TLJ is, JJ has given me faith that this will at least not be awful. A Return of the Jedi remake is better than whatever :censored: Rian Johnson would've done to :censored: this franchise.

I'm not super stoked or anything. The hype is mellow. Endgame killed it for me. I got what I need from that movie to be happy in 2019.