• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

The trailer was just on during the football game, and it reminded me to wonder aloud - what’s the point of evil Rey’s dual saber doing a 180 degree turn?  I mean, does it really have any utility in the parallel position?  “Hey check this out, my dual saber is shaped like a giant U! It’s like swinging a toaster!”

Edited by mattn792

Hmmm, 'evil Rey'. This strikes me as a JJ John Harrison-style bait-and-switch. 

I could very well be wrong, but I have a feeling that 'evil Rey' is going to be an ESB-type vision quest where Rey battles an evil version of herself. Kind of like in Superman III (which was awesome, btw). 

35 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Johnson isn't directing this one.

Doesn't matter.

This story - like Episodes 7 & 8 - will be written and canonically approved by Pablo Hildalgo and the rest of the Lucasfilm Story Group.

Edited by Gatsby77

Is anyone truly excited about this movie? I can't gauge this sort of thing anymore. I just feel like the majority of the old farts like me don't care about Star Wars and the younger generation would rather watch their myths (MCU).

Edited by RedRaven

2 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Is anyone truly excited about this movie? I can't gauge this sort of thing anymore. I just feel like the majority of the old farts like me don't care about Star Wars and the younger generation would rather watch their myths (MCU).

I am very excited for this!  Having Ep IV mesmerized after watching it 30 times or so when it first came out on HBO in the early 80s, I guess that puts me in the older camp...

57 minutes ago, Foley said:

Anakin's redemption arc (the whole point of the OT) culminated with him killing the Emperor.

Bringing Palpatine back will make it all for naught, unless Anakin also returns to finish him off for good. 2c

Bringing Palpatine back seems so trite on its own, another re-hash of Palpatine vs Hayden Vader would be beyond unimaginative.  The storyline might have worked if both were still lurking on the fringes in VII and VIII, but to trot them out now?  💤

13 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Bringing Palpatine back seems so trite on its own, another re-hash of Palpatine vs Hayden Vader would be beyond unimaginative.  The storyline might have worked if both were still lurking on the fringes in VII and VIII, but to trot them out now?  💤

Maybe Hayden Vader has been living in Pismo Beach all this time & loves sand now! lol

3 hours ago, RedRaven said:

In a sense, I think so. I think people are excited for the notion that "STAR WARS" is coming out...again...People it seems are mostly excited for the spectacle and the marketing that comes with a new Disney investment product being released on the market. At this point the product itself is pretty meaningless. People are excited for the shared cultural experience of it. Its sorta like how folks and the media get all worked up over new I-phone releases...everyone knows that I-phones technically are inferior to many other products(full disclosure I still use a 6), but its the shared cultural experience of the new release that gets folks amped up.

TLJ was from a poorly made film. It had too-large-for-even-scifi plot holes , throw away scenes/acts, and basic scripting and overall logical failures that should have damned it box office wise not just among the viewing public...but the spectacle and cultural significance of the film completely overshadowed all of that. The marketing and side product releases buried the films actual failings.

That will happen again here. It might lose 5-10 percent off the last film from negative fan reaction, but overall the vast majority of people who were going, just to share in experience of a new film, will go no matter what the actual story/film is.

Excited for the big party coming up? Yeah they are. The film itself, probably not so much.

49 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Its sorta like how folks and the media get all worked up over new I-phone releases...everyone knows that I-phones technically are inferior to many other products(full disclosure I still use a 6), but its the shared cultural experience of the new release that gets folks amped up.

This isn't true.....

I don't know if I'm "excited" as much as purely "interested". I'm interested in seeing if they can rebound from TLJ. I'm interested to see if they can somehow honor a finale of a franchise this large, in the same way that Endgame (great), or Game of Thrones (bad).....

I really hope that it entertains me the same way 3-7 did. TLJ is just a very bad movie. An even worse Star Wars movie.

Edited by Taneleer Tivan

I'm always excited by a new Star Wars film. It's like a new Squeeze album. Or season of Doctor Who. Sometimes they soar. Sometimes they don't. Either way, every time I am excited beyond what is reasonable for a fifty plus year old man to feel. Maybe it will be so good that we will all sh:censored: ourselves in unexpected glee. It probably won't be of course, but I for one live in hope. For a new hope. 

I'll shut up now. 

I know Palpatine returning seems contrived, but I'm happy about it. I want to see Ian McDiarmid slice the ham thick one last time. If nothing else, he should make things entertaining.

Edited by Larryw7

The Last Jedi destroyed the last spark of my interest in the Star Wars franchise, I will admit I can't stand both Rey and Kylo and don't care what happens to them both. Killing Han then Luke dying and now possibly both Lando and Leia I predict a DUD, if they don't end it with R2 and C3PO  eloping for a mixed marriage I'm out. :bigsmile:  

4 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I know Palpatine returning seems contrived, but I'm happy about it. I want to see Ian McDiarmid slice the ham thick one last time. If nothing else, he should make things entertaining.

Don't fall for the Darkside Larry it is all a mind trick the Emperor will not return, Darth Mouse wants to end the original series so that it can move on from Lucas. 

1 minute ago, tv horror said:

Don't fall for the Darkside Larry it is all a mind trick the Emperor will not return, Darth Mouse wants to end the original series so that it can move on from Lucas. 

I know what the mouse(rat?) intends, but I've been reading spoilers  that indicate a juicy part for the.Emperor, so even if the rest of the movie.sucks, I'll still enjoy his performance.