• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I know what the mouse(rat?) intends, but I've been reading spoilers  that indicate a juicy part for the.Emperor, so even if the rest of the movie.sucks, I'll still enjoy his performance.

I would love him to appear as he was the best part of Return, the problem is if he is not dead and either a clone or a Sith ghost his value as a great villain is diminished  because he can't be killed and it ruins the effect of the end of Return.  

2 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:
2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Its sorta like how folks and the media get all worked up over new I-phone releases...everyone knows that I-phones technically are inferior to many other products(full disclosure I still use a 6), but its the shared cultural experience of the new release that gets folks amped up.

This isn't true.....

@zhamlau looks like @Taneleer Tivan didn't know. :ohnoez:

52 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I would love him to appear as he was the best part of Return, the problem is if he is not dead and either a clone or a Sith ghost his value as a great villain is diminished  because he can't be killed and it ruins the effect of the end of Return.  

I understand what you're saying, but they've already ruined the mythology, so watching McDiarmid is one way to squeeze some entertainment out of the film.

43 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I understand what you're saying, but they've already ruined the mythology, so watching McDiarmid is one way to squeeze some entertainment out of the film.

:flipbait:

download.jpg

Edited by tv horror

On 9/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, tv horror said:

The Last Jedi destroyed the last spark of my interest in the Star Wars franchise, I will admit I can't stand both Rey and Kylo and don't care what happens to them both. Killing Han then Luke dying and now possibly both Lando and Leia I predict a DUD, if they don't end it with R2 and C3PO  eloping for a mixed marriage I'm out. :bigsmile:  

I think that Kylo Ren is a compelling character. I don't want them to end on the same note as the last 2 trilogies. In III, Skywalker turns to the dark side. In VI, Vader turns to the light. I don't want Ben to go good. I wanna see some full-on villainy.

I liked the Han death. I don't think anyone liked Luke's death. It was really - really - stupid.

It's too bad Disney couldn't just take a Mulligan and re-do it. 

"Oops. Our bad. We don't much like it either."   "While we respect the work of Rian Johnson, after fan feedback and other serious considerations, we feel that his vision and the final product wasn't inline with where we wanted the story to ultimately travel and leave off. While it is still a wonderful film containing the final performance of our beloved Carrie Fisher, we will be removing it from the official Star Wars cannon and creating a new sequel to The Force Awakens."

14 minutes ago, Antpark said:

"Oops. Our bad. We don't much like it either."   "While we respect the work of Rian Johnson, after fan feedback and other serious considerations, we feel that his vision and the final product wasn't inline with where we wanted the story to ultimately travel and leave off. While it is still a wonderful film containing the final performance of our beloved Carrie Fisher, we will be removing it from the official Star Wars cannon and creating a new sequel to The Force Awakens."

They did say something about Abrams having a green-light to retcon TLJ plots/stories. To what extent? Not sure.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that Kylo Ren is a compelling character. I don't want them to end on the same note as the last 2 trilogies. In III, Skywalker turns to the dark side. In VI, Vader turns to the light. I don't want Ben to go good. I wanna see some full-on villainy.

I liked the Han death. I don't think anyone liked Luke's death. It was really - really - stupid.

I didn't mind Luke's death so much, it was kind of in line with Ben Kenobi's from episode IV, and really none of the main characters really went out in a blaze of glory.  Darth Vader's death ironically being possibly the most heroic.

Obi-Wan - basically sacrificed self after a weak duel so that others may escape

Yoda - died of tiredness

Padme - died of sadness

Annakin - pretty good electrocution as part of final act of redemption

Han - stabbed in the back by being stabbed in the front

Luke - Maybe the force projection over such a great distance ultimately killed him (I don't think FP was shown anywhere else in the movies?).  Basically sacrificed himself after a  decent duel so that others may escape.

Heck, Porkins had a more "exciting" death than most.  Darth Maul's was cool, but not final so maybe that doesn't count.

Edited by Cozmo-One
fixed Han's death

Just now, Cozmo-One said:

...Luke - Maybe the force projection over such a great distance ultimately killed him (I don't think FP was shown anywhere else in the movies?).  Basically sacrificed himself after a  decent duel so that others may escape...

As the protagonist with unwavering commitment in the OG trilogy, it was 100% disrespect to Luke in the way he was killed.

"I had a hemorrhoid..." *poof*

I wanted to KMS in the theater during the preview showing I was at. I honestly can't think of a worse death.

We need to stop talking about this because I'm about to get #triggered and lose my mind. I hate TLJ with such a passion...

47 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

As the protagonist with unwavering commitment in the OG trilogy, it was 100% disrespect to Luke in the way he was killed.

"I had a hemorrhoid..." *poof*

I wanted to KMS in the theater during the preview showing I was at. I honestly can't think of a worse death.

We need to stop talking about this because I'm about to get #triggered and lose my mind. I hate TLJ with such a passion...

ME TOO!(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Cozmo-One said:

I didn't mind Luke's death so much, it was kind of in line with Ben Kenobi's from episode IV, and really none of the main characters really went out in a blaze of glory.  Darth Vader's death ironically being possibly the most heroic.

Obi-Wan - basically sacrificed self after a weak duel so that others may escape

Yoda - died of tiredness

Padme - died of sadness

Annakin - pretty good electrocution as part of final act of redemption

Han - stabbed in the back by being stabbed in the front

Luke - Maybe the force projection over such a great distance ultimately killed him (I don't think FP was shown anywhere else in the movies?).  Basically sacrificed himself after a  decent duel so that others may escape.

Heck, Porkins had a more "exciting" death than most.  Darth Maul's was cool, but not final so maybe that doesn't count.

This. All of this.

Luke's death was far more heroic than most of those listed above.

And anyone offended by it need only compare it to the even *weaker* ways Kenobi and Padme went out.

In particular, Luke's death and sacrifice was given *far* more weight than Kenobi's in A New Hope. It was worthy.

Edited by Gatsby77

15 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This. All of this.

Luke's death was far more heroic than most of those listed above.

And anyone offended by it need only compare it to the even *weaker* ways Kenobi and Padme went out.

In particular, Luke's death and sacrifice was given *far* more weight than Kenobi's in A New Hope. It was worthy.

By being a coward and projecting himself? A real hero would've confronted his failures.

I would've been convinced of Luke's exile had he been training all of this time to become powerful enough to, again, defeat the dark side's organization (or, well, be confident that he could do so). Had he actually been there to suppress those AT-AT blasts...

And don't get confused - no one here is "offended". We just realize how stupid and uneventful his cop-out death is. Kenobi had a wisdom in which he knew Vader was going to win. His sacrifice existed to motivate Luke.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:21 AM, Werner_Von_Doom said:

If, in 2009, someone had told me that in 2019 Mark Hamill will be playing Luke Skywalker is a Star Wars movie and I would have no desire to see the movie in the theater, let alone not buy tickets for opening day, I would have asked if I was in a coma.  40 years of movies, comics, toys, novels, and here we are.

I assume many others feel the same way as the last comment in this thread was on May 20.

Ugh.

After Force Awakens, I was not too excited to hear that JJ was taking the reigns to the final Star Wars movie. I actually thought that Johnson's Episode 8 would have been a satisfying ending as the final scene with the boy with the broom reflected on the concept of 'hope' which is what started this whole thing.  

I will go see it, but i am praying that his is not a retread of previous ideas like what Force Awakens was.   I am hoping that JJ takes a cue from Johnson and injects something that is actually new into the closing. 

On 8/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, mattn792 said:

I want to be excited for this movie, but I keep getting that “Episode IX: The Jedi Return Of” vibe.  😞

That is very much what I am afraid of.   Force Awakens made me appreciate the Lucas driven prequels in a light that I had not realized. I welcome new stories and not just a rehash.  Hopefully JJ takes a few cues from Johnson.

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

After Force Awakens, I was not too excited to hear that JJ was taking the reigns to the final Star Wars movie. I actually thought that Johnson's Episode 8 would have been a satisfying ending as the final scene with the boy with the broom reflected on the concept of 'hope' which is what started this whole thing.  

I will go see it, but i am praying that his is not a retread of previous ideas like what Force Awakens was.   I am hoping that JJ takes a cue from Johnson and injects something that is actually new into the closing. 

For me personally, I love Star Wars movies. And yes the content and quality of the movies have gone down, sadly. I mean the bar was raised so high with the first three movies, and the excitement of the prequels. Nevertheless I am looking forward to a closure of one of the most epic intergalactic series ever to hit theatres.

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The Last Jedi is a failure in which Abrams & Co. should take zero cues from. It's the abomination of Star Wars. That's within a catalog that includes a movie with Jar-Jar Binks and pod racing...

19 hours ago, Antpark said:

Bleh... I don't think that Last Jedi is the problem. 

I would have liked to have seen Lucas' original sequel trilogy outlines and stories in their entirety.  Perhaps one day, we will see a comic adaptation.  If they were ever going to redo anything I wonder what that would have been especially after the recent Iger stories have come out. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:
On 8/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, mattn792 said:

I want to be excited for this movie, but I keep getting that “Episode IX: The Jedi Return Of” vibe.  😞

That is very much what I am afraid of.   Force Awakens made me appreciate the Lucas driven prequels in a light that I had not realized. I welcome new stories and not just a rehash.  Hopefully JJ takes a few cues from Johnson.

As much as I disliked Johnson's movie (and it's quite a bit) at least he was going into new areas, if JJ does his same old derivative thing then he's just as bad.