• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

Just now, Mr Sneeze said:

As much as I disliked Johnson's movie (and it's quite a bit) at least he was going into new areas, if JJ does his same old derivative thing then he's just as bad.

Yeah, I don't recall any meaningless 30-minute side plots in any other Star Wars films.

Really subverted my expectations there...

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

That is very much what I am afraid of.   Force Awakens made me appreciate the Lucas driven prequels in a light that I had not realized. I welcome new stories and not just a rehash.  Hopefully JJ takes a few cues from Johnson.

I gave JJ a pretty sizable pass for the derivation in VII because Star Wars needed to be fun again, and he succeeded there.  But if he Into Darkness’ Episode IX, he might as well flat out admit he’s just in it for the paycheck.

And if anything, VII made me hate the Lucas prequels even more because they’re SUCH A FREAKING BORE.  I mean, I’ve tried rewatching them at times, and I want to start drinking heavily within 10 minutes.

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

And if anything, VII made me hate the Lucas prequels even more because they’re SUCH A FREAKING BORE.  I mean, I’ve tried rewatching them at times, and I want to start drinking heavily within 10 minutes.

I was so drunk during revenge of the sixth that I was cheering for Anakin not to turn to the dark side of the force, and felt great sadness when he did.

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I gave JJ a pretty sizable pass for the derivation in VII because Star Wars needed to be fun again, and he succeeded there.  But if he Into Darkness’ Episode IX, he might as well flat out admit he’s just in it for the paycheck.

Revenge of the Sith is fairly eventful. Really no entertainment there for you?

Before TFA, I re-watched all 6, and Attack of the Clones was much worse than I had remembered. ROTS still holds a lot of value for me.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Revenge of the Sith is fairly eventful. Really no entertainment there for you?

Before TFA, I re-watched all 6, and Attack of the Clones was much worse than I had remembered. ROTS still holds a lot of value for me.

Far, FAR too much creepy Uncle Palpatine in III.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
2 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

As much as I disliked Johnson's movie (and it's quite a bit) at least he was going into new areas, if JJ does his same old derivative thing then he's just as bad.

Yeah, I don't recall any meaningless 30-minute side plots in any other Star Wars films.

Really subverted my expectations there...

I certainly don't want to argue over Johnson's movie with you, I probably dislike it more than you. I was merely trying to point out that Starkiller Base was pretty bad. Why make new movies if they don't want to move forward.

Just now, Mr Sneeze said:

I certainly don't want to argue over Johnson's movie with you, I probably dislike it more than you. I was merely trying to point out that Starkiller Base was pretty bad. Why make new movies if they don't want to move forward.

Oh, my friend, I don't think this is possible. lol

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

By being a coward and projecting himself? A real hero would've confronted his failures.

I would've been convinced of Luke's exile had he been training all of this time to become powerful enough to, again, defeat the dark side's organization (or, well, be confident that he could do so). Had he actually been there to suppress those AT-AT blasts...

And don't get confused - no one here is "offended". We just realize how stupid and uneventful his cop-out death is. Kenobi had a wisdom in which he knew Vader was going to win. His sacrifice existed to motivate Luke.

How was Luke projecting himself being a coward? 

He confronted Kylo in a way that did its job *and* humiliated him in the process -- as Kylo was so consumed by his anger that he failed to even clock that Luke was a projection.

Sorry if it didn't match your Luke-force-crushing-AT-ATs head-canon, but that's not what being a Jedi is all about. As Yoda said, "Wars not make one great."

Speaking of -- Luke's self-imposed exile and pacifist mindset at the beginning of TLJ is *exactly* parallel to Yoda's hermetic retired / pacifist mindset when we first meet him on Dagobah in Empire.

And that's the point.

Truly god-level Jedis -- the best of them -- from Kenobi in A New Hope to Yoda in Empire to Luke in The Last Jedi -- all end up alone and retired -- horrified both by war and by the murders they had committed in their prime.

Thus, Luke's arc in TLJ is entirely consistent with the arcs (and ends) of old-guard jedis Kenobi and Yoda in the original trilogy.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

He confronted Kylo in a way that did its job *and* humiliated him in the process -- as Kylo was so consumed by his anger that he failed to even clock that Luke was a projection.

Sorry if it didn't match your Luke-force-crushing-AT-ATs head-canon, but that's not what being a Jedi is all about. As Yoda said, "Wars not make one great."

Speaking of -- Luke's self-imposed exile and pacifist mindset at the beginning of TLJ is *exactly* parallel to Yoda's hermetic retired / pacifist mindset when we first meet him on Dagobah in Empire.

And that's the point.

Truly god-level Jedis -- the best of them -- from Kenobi in A New Hope to Yoda in Empire to Luke in The Last Jedi -- all end up alone and retired -- horrified both by war and by the murders they had committed in their prime.

Thus, Luke's arc in TLJ is entirely consistent with the arcs (and ends) of old-guard jedis Kenobi and Yoda in the original trilogy.

When exactly was Yoda a pacifist? He specifically said that he would train Luke only if he committed to finishing the job AKA taking out Vader and the Emporer.  And Kenobi and Yoda didn’t retire because of the horrors of war. The Jedi were hunted down and killed by Vader, this forced them into hiding. The only thing the TLJ story-line had in common with Kennobi/ Yoda was that Luke was hiding on a far off system.  The reasons for it  are entirely different.  

20 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

And that's the point.

He didn't confront anyone. That's akin to breaking up with someone via text. Cowardly.

Obi-Wan went into exile to protect Luke. Yoda went into exile to escape persecution and death. Luke went into exile to avoid confronting his failure. Obi-Wan and Yoda faced both Vader and Sidious before being forced to hide. Luke didn't. Completely uncharacteristic.

TLJ is an abomination. It's not consistent with Luke's character at all. And, again, don't be confused - there is no head-canon". It's called an imagination. Something Johnson doesn't have in sensible manner.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. If you can't take the word of Luke himself that his character in TLJ isn't the real Luke, then well, Idk what to tell you.

Listening to the latest episode of Rebel Force Radio and they were again talking about Mark Hamill’s disagreement with RJ’s take on SW.  Nothing is certain in this world but I think we have seen the last/only R Johnson Star Wars film.  

11 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Listening to the latest episode of Rebel Force Radio and they were again talking about Mark Hamill’s disagreement with RJ’s take on SW.  Nothing is certain in this world but I think we have seen the last/only R Johnson Star Wars film.  

I doubt it, he gave Disney an awful movie while at the same time delivering a 10 figure box office.  Garbage movie will always take a back seat to 10 figure box office.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

He didn't confront anyone. That's akin to breaking up with someone via text. Cowardly.

Obi-Wan went into exile to protect Luke. Yoda went into exile to escape persecution and death. Luke went into exile to avoid confronting his failure. Obi-Wan and Yoda faced both Vader and Sidious before being forced to hide. Luke didn't. Completely uncharacteristic.

TLJ is an abomination. It's not consistent with Luke's character at all. And, again, don't be confused - there is no head-canon". It's called an imagination. Something Johnson doesn't have in sensible manner.

I don't gotta be no Jedi!

Image result for south park i do what i want gif

10 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. If you can't take the word of Luke himself that his character in TLJ isn't the real Luke, then well, Idk what to tell you.

Yeah - and James Cameron fully endorsed the ridiculous turd that is Terminator: Genisys.

Hell - George Lucas arguably is Star Wars - and yet he still out The Phantom Menace.