• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

It has become such a disjointed mess - between the books , comic books , films , tv series - et al the Star Wars timeline is at best a “ choose your own adventure “ .Where they go next cinematically is anyone’s guess , Knights of the old republic perhaps ? Here’s what I don’t get - 2,000 years prior to the Battle of Yavin people are still driving around in clunky spaceships ? Humankind has progressed more ( for better or worse ) in the last 100 years than an entire galaxy of planets has over 2 millennia ?

rantrant

7 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

It has become such a disjointed mess - between the books , comic books , films , tv series - et al the Star Wars timeline is at best a “ choose your own adventure “  Here’s what I don’t get - 2,000 years prior to the Battle of Yavin people are still driving around in clunky spaceships ? Humankind has progressed more ( for better or worse ) in the last 100 years than an entire galaxy of planets has over 2 millennia ?

rantrant

Guess George Lucas forgot to 'borrow' Kirby's boom tube concept for space travel from DC's Fourth World 'Forever People' comic series. Star Trek Discovery TV already has boom tube like space travel in the form of the Micellial(sp?) network.

1 hour ago, Antpark said:

I'd add Snoke, Captain Phasma, and the entire First Order to that as well. 

In my opinion, this is one of the biggest problems with the new trilogy. A great hero needs an equally great villain in order to make a great story. The hero, typically outmatched in his initial encounter with the villain, is put in the position of the underdog that has to overcome incredible odds in order to achieve victory, etc, etc.

When has Rey ever seemed outmatched or overwhelmed against Kylo Ren? 
What have any of them (villains) ever done to generate a sense of concern in the audience for the heroes' safety?

To compare:

Darth Vader was in control and acted - Kylo Ren is not in control and reacts
Anakin saw his mom die & had a premonition of his wife dying which led him to be manipulated by and turned to the dark side by Palpatine - Kylo Ren had Snoke dreams (maybe)
Anakin fights a dramatic battle against Kenobi, the result of which leaves him broken (body, mind, spirit) completing his turn to the dark side - Luke goes to kill Kylo in his sleep and wakes him up
Grand Moff Tarkin blew up Alderaan in front of Leia - Galactic DC gets blown up from a gazillion miles away by I-can't-remember-who (and no one seems to care that much)
Emperor Palpatine had a presence and strength even though his body appeared old and weak - Snoke had . . . a red room?
Vader and Luke trade hand amputations - Kylo and the First Order get fooled by a Luke Hologram
Darth Vader, Force Choke - Kylo Ren, tempertantrum

and so on and so forth. 

Very True!

1 hour ago, Antpark said:

I'd add Snoke, Captain Phasma, and the entire First Order to that as well. 

In my opinion, this is one of the biggest problems with the new trilogy. A great hero needs an equally great villain in order to make a great story. The hero, typically outmatched in his initial encounter with the villain, is put in the position of the underdog that has to overcome incredible odds in order to achieve victory, etc, etc.

When has Rey ever seemed outmatched or overwhelmed against Kylo Ren? 
What have any of them (villains) ever done to generate a sense of concern in the audience for the heroes' safety?

To compare:

Darth Vader was in control and acted - Kylo Ren is not in control and reacts
Anakin saw his mom die & had a premonition of his wife dying which led him to be manipulated by and turned to the dark side by Palpatine - Kylo Ren had Snoke dreams (maybe)
Anakin fights a dramatic battle against Kenobi, the result of which leaves him broken (body, mind, spirit) completing his turn to the dark side - Luke goes to kill Kylo in his sleep and wakes him up
Grand Moff Tarkin blew up Alderaan in front of Leia - Galactic DC gets blown up from a gazillion miles away by I-can't-remember-who (and no one seems to care that much)
Emperor Palpatine had a presence and strength even though his body appeared old and weak - Snoke had . . . a red room?
Vader and Luke trade hand amputations - Kylo and the First Order get fooled by a Luke Hologram
Darth Vader, Force Choke - Kylo Ren, tempertantrum

and so on and so forth. 

Genius

On 10/25/2019 at 12:33 AM, Buzzetta said:

And that's exactly why I hold Force Awakens as the most derivative and boring of the series. 

I've said it many times, I thought TLJ was infinitely better than TFA.

I want new material rather than a reimagining of the old.   

I hope you get that.  I've read some spoilers/leaks and:

Spoiler

It sounds like this movie is taking quite a few "beats" from RoTJ, much like The Force Awakens took quite a few "Beats" from A New Hope.  So I don't know how "new" this movie will be.

Granted take that with a grain of salt, but yeah.

31 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Reveal hidden contents

It sounds like this movie is taking quite a few "beats" from RoTJ, much like The Force Awakens took quite a few "Beats" from A New Hope.  So I don't know how "new" this movie will be.

I honestly just shook my head. 

57 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Hide contents

Wow, that's so sad and disheartening if true.

Kylo Ren is a great villain. Idk what series you guys are watching.

The final trailer didn't do much for me. "Taking one last look... At my friends..." Chewbacca and R2D2? Sure. The new guys? :roflmao:

I don't have the budget for tickets, yet, so I might miss out on opening weekend. Oh well. The Last Jedi didn't give me much reason to care about this one.

14 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Kylo Ren is a great villain. Idk what series you guys are watching.

The final trailer didn't do much for me. "Taking one last look... At my friends..." Chewbacca and R2D2? Sure. The new guys? :roflmao:

I don't have the budget for tickets, yet, so I might miss out on opening weekend. Oh well. The Last Jedi didn't give me much reason to care about this one.

3PO is 2 movies too late with that line. :roflmao:

Here's a question -- does Leia get to be a Jedi ghost too?  I mean, after her turn as Flying Space Leia, ghost status has to be a given, right?  Imagine them all lined up in order of ousting in the final (attempted) tear jerking scene of #9...

Qui-Gon, Samuel L. Windoo, Obi-Won, Yoda, Hayden Vader, (maybe they'll throw Han in here for some reason...), Luke, Leia.

Family portrait!

6 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Here's a question -- does Leia get to be a Jedi ghost too?  I mean, after her turn as Flying Space Leia, ghost status has to be a given, right?  Imagine them all lined up in order of ousting in the final (attempted) tear jerking scene of #9...

Qui-Gon, Samuel L. Windoo, Obi-Won, Yoda, Hayden Vader, (maybe they'll throw Han in here for some reason...), Luke, Leia.

Family portrait!

The final line in the trailer is hers. IIRC, someone in charge of Episode IX said that the final trailer, "hints at a Force Ghost".

Also, it's Windu, you uncultured Pizza Roll.

I would say it is more than likely that Leia appears as a Force ghost.  In case they need to make any CGI fixes to flows of motion or syncing performance with the audio track of the lines they want to use, it would be easiest to hide the CGI through the force ghost ‘glow’ / ‘haze’.

5 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Whatever happens with this last film I’m certain that when the big space battle happens we will see ships hyper-spacing into other ships as a tactical move...because that’s a thing now, right?  

B|

STAR WARS

EPISODE IX: FLOOR IT!

19 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Whatever happens with this last film I’m certain that when the big space battle happens we will see ships hyper-spacing into other ships as a tactical move...because that’s a thing now, right?  

B|

That was great actually. Movies have depicted it in naval warfare so why not in space?  I think in Last Jedi the maneuver was named after the hammerhead ship that did it in Rogue One. 

Edited by Buzzetta

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I would say it is more than likely that Leia appears as a Force ghost.  In case they need to make any CGI fixes to flows of motion or syncing performance with the audio track of the lines they want to use, it would be easiest to hide the CGI through the force ghost ‘glow’ / ‘haze’.

That's also my guess about Palpatine's presence in the film.  He explicitly talked about it with Anakin in Revenge of the Sith while telling him about Darth Plagueis the Wise.

Edited by fantastic_four