• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

Just now, fantastic_four said:
Just now, Mr Sneeze said:

In the beginning, it seemed like the mouse wanted nothing to do with him.

What makes you say that?  For him to be the keeper of the Star Wars lore he'd have to be into it, and he clearly wasn't when he owned his company himself.  I don't see why he'd suddenly be inspired to continue the series after selling it to Disney.

I can't speak to Lucas' motivations just my impression of Disneys.

9 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Yea, but why?  Is it the public statements Lucas made around the time Force Awakens came out, or is it something else?

If I were Iger at the time of the sale, I'd offer Lucas the chance to be the keeper of the lore, but only under a very specific set of conditions that I'm 99% sure Lucas would never agree to.  They seemed amenable to the existing order anyway since they kept Lucas's cohort Kathleen Kennedy in the role.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
11 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Yea, but why?  Is it the public statements Lucas made around the time Force Awakens came out, or is it something else?

If I were Iger, I'd offer Lucas the chance to be the keeper of the lore, but only under a very specific set of conditions that I'm 99% sure Lucas would never agree to.

Bear in mind it is only my impression, that when Disney bought Star Wars they were selling it as Lucas was going to have nothing to do with it any longer. That's all I meant really. I think they looked on him as a negative asset a la, 'we're going to make some new movies but don't worry, Lucas won't be involved like in those pesky prequels'.

Bear in mind it is only my impression, that when Disney bought Star Wars they were selling it as Lucas was going to have nothing to do with it any longer. That's all I meant really. I think they looked on him as a negative asset a la, 'we're going to make some new movies but don't worry, Lucas won't be involved like in those pesky prequels'.

In the George Lucas biography it says basically Lucas gave Disney outlines for the movies and they ignored those and that Lucas believed that when he sold that he would still be involved but once the deal was done he was out.

Just now, Bird said:

In the George Lucas biography it says basically Lucas gave Disney outlines for the movies and they ignored those and that Lucas believed that when he sold that he would still be involved but once the deal was done he was out.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Wouldn't be the first time a corporation has put the squeeze on a creator

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

If they hadn't worked out the specifics of his role and compensation mechanism, then I can't imagine what he thought his role would have been.  If his name would have continued to be in the list of producers of the films, fans would have expected him to have creative control.  

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Problem is that Galaxy is in the human mind

Then they should find a better human mind to do the imagining.  The arbitrary end that they're imposing on the new cast by handcuffing them to the obsession with Skywalker lineage and (apparently) Emperor Palpitation is proof of that.

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Then they should find a better human mind to do the imagining.  The arbitrary end that they're imposing on the new cast by handcuffing them to the obsession with Skywalker lineage and (apparently) Emperor Palpitation is proof of that.

They should have kept Lucas, it was his vision 

34 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Are you serious?  They have almost infinite possibilities to work from.  Its an imaginary GALAXY.

And yet virtually everything in the original was lifted from somewhere else.

And everything since has been rehash after rehash. Maybe Jar Jar and the Ewoks were the only original thoughts Lucas had.

7 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

And everything since has been rehash after rehash. Maybe Jar Jar and the Ewoks were the only original thoughts Lucas had.

"It's like butter that's been scraped over too much bread"  -- Bilbo Baggins

If TLJ was so great and it was just a minority of vocal fans who shouted it down then why haven’t we heard anything recently regarding RJ’s new trilogy? In fact, the only one who’s still talking about it is RJ, and that seems only when he’s asked about it. One of his most recent comments was along the lines of “I’m still waiting to hear from Disney.”  

So in other words, The Mouse House does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. 

26 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Really any modern story can be boiled down to copies of other work, doesn’t  matter what genre of film, book etc. 

Edited by bentbryan

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They should have kept Lucas, it was his vision 

Lucas lost his muse long ago.  The prequels were boring AF.  Jar Jar Binks?  Pod racers?  Killin younglings because he was mad his mom died when he had TEN YEARS to go buy her out of slavery?  That's his 'motivation'?  What a crock.  We have to believe he forgot he had a mom for ten years then suddenly remembered 'oh yeah better go get her' to swallow the character motivation as written.  Yeah no.