• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

There are no 'arms dealers' that sell aircraft carriers, or death stars.

You are arguing semantics of a fictional universe. 

If we are going to do that then I will do you one better. 

There are no death stars. 

In Star Wars they contracted out.  That has been established since the RPGs in the mid 80's. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You are arguing semantics of a fictional universe. 

If we are going to do that then I will do you one better. 

There are no death stars. 

In Star Wars they contracted out.  That has been established since the RPGs in the mid 80's. 

Arms dealers have bad connotations-to use them as a plot device, incorrectly, is a plot error.  The Death Star per se is not a plot error, it is part of the plot.  If suddenly it was revealed that faeries built the Death Star, this would be similarly stupid.  Even though yes there are no Death Stars.

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Maybe to you.  Don't push your moral compass on me please. lol 

The motive for adding that to the movie was clear-the 'moral equivalence'.  Rebels buy from arms dealers too, so no better than the Empire.  This is a sickening insertion of personal worldview into a fictional universe, as a preaching device.  Gross.

That was one of the better lines in the movie. Getting weapons/negotiating deals from different places with questionable morals has often been a topic within the Star Wars world. I don't understand the "preaching"?

If anything its showing you shouldn't be preachy like Rose. It was nice to show her naivete. The guys name was D.J, short for Don't Join, it was written on his hat in Aurebesh. Nice foreshadowing.

Edited by Rip

46 minutes ago, Rip said:

That was one of the better lines in the movie. Getting weapons/negotiating deals from different places with questionable morals has often been a topic within the Star Wars world. I don't understand the "preaching"?

If anything its showing you shouldn't be preachy like Rose. It was nice to show her naivete. The guys name was D.J, short for Don't Join, it was written on his hat in Aurebesh. Nice foreshadowing.

Exactly... this has been part of the stories, comics, Clone Wars TV show, and overall Star Wars world for as long as I can remember.

Personally... if ANYONE should be given a shot at a Star Wars theatrical trilogy it should be Dave Filoni.   That's the Kevin Feige of the SW Universe as far as I am concerned and Disney should lock that man down for the next couple of decades. 

12 hours ago, comics4all said:

I DOUBLE DOG DARE someone to watch the movie and report a 1 minute clip worth watching! lol

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+last+jedi+bombing+run&view=detail&mid=5BC2D9D04E47384040665BC2D9D04E4738404066&FORM=VIRE&PC=APPL

edit: I really enjoyed the bombing run.  I loved the WWII vibe of the bombers.

Edited by Catwomancomics

22 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

The lack of gravity in space didn't bother you?

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The lack of gravity in space didn't bother you?

No, not really. It never bothered me as a six year old watching Star Wars and so I’m okay with it now.  No one was floating around in the Death Star, so it became the new norm :baiting:

Have you seen the new trailer? :gossip: They’re riding Clydesdales into battle on top of a spaceship.

4 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

No, not really. It never bothered me as a six year old watching Star Wars and so I’m okay with it now.  No one was floating around in the Death Star, so it became the new norm :baiting:

Have you seen the new trailer? :gossip: They’re riding Clydesdales into battle on top of a spaceship.

Death Star has its own gravity, though.

I don't wanna talk about it...

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Death Star has its own gravity, though.

I don't wanna talk about it...

:roflmao:it’s the most ridiculous scene so far from ROS

Back to the gravity issue.  I know what you’re getting at.  Bomb bay doors open, and no one gets sucked out into space. It doesn’t bother me because I realize that RJ is going for the WWII vibe, so I’m okay with it.  I thought the bombers were a cool concept.  

Just now, Catwomancomics said:

:roflmao:it’s the most ridiculous scene so far from ROS

Back to the gravity issue.  I know what you’re getting at.  Bomb bay doors open, and no one gets sucked out into space. It doesn’t bother me because I realize that RJ is going for the WWII vibe, so I’m okay with it.  I thought the bombers were a cool concept.  

:sick:

My suspension of disbelief only extends so far. It's the combination of disregard for gravity, the girl pulling off the control-grab (despite it seeming like she couldn't have been able to), and the "your mom" dialogue from Poe that makes it bad for me.

If disregarding gravity was the only problem in that scene - I would say it wasn't bad. Other factors make it a bad scene for me.

20 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

Back to the gravity issue.  I know what you’re getting at.  Bomb bay doors open, and no one gets sucked out into space.

Getting "sucked out" wouldn't have anything to do with gravity. That would be because of differences in pressure.

In reality, the doors would have opened and the bombs wouldn't have dropped, they would have just floated there. The control switch wouldn't have fallen down to her either. And she wouldn't have fallen down the ladder well, and so on.

10 minutes ago, Foley said:

Isn't the problem the "presence of gravity" in space, and not the "lack of gravity" though? There should have been a lack of gravity, but there wasn't.

My post is a prime example of poor grammar.

I meant that a lack of gravity exists - but it doesn't bother the story.

I assumed the bombs were using the same tech the TIE bombers from Empire Strikes Back used when bombing those asteroids looking for the Millennium Falcon.  Insert your favorite tech in for what was propelling them--electromagnetism that's attracted to the natural gravitational field of the largest nearby object, unidirectional propulsion of some sort, or whatever.  I don't know what's making most of the ships in Star Wars move in space, but something is.

I hate when people don't get something about a film and quickly jump to "the filmmakers screwed up!"  Your first question should always be "what is it I might be missing?"  hm  The worst cases of this I saw were on the two Matrix sequels and Prometheus...SCORES of critics kept pointing out plot holes in their reviews that weren't plot holes, they were intentionally-designed missing bits of plot that the Wachowskis or Damon Lindelof dropped clues about throughout their works to inspire viewers to piece them together to figure out.  If you don't like that style of storytelling, fine...but don't just assume they screwed the plot or story up without thinking it through.

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, bane said:

Star Wars is Fantasy, not Science Fiction.... nothing in Star Wars should bother you in that regard, except of course bad writing and story.

Just because it's "fantasy and not fiction" doesn't mean that I can unreasonably suspend disbelief.