• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Okay, Buzz Killington.

I'll admit straight away - its probably going to be impossible for me to get past my own feeling of how exceedingly lame it is that they're trotting creepy Uncle Palpatine back out, apparently as the all knowing invincible puppeteer of all things to boot.  Here's a tip guy - learn from Pinky and the Brain: one outlandishly elaborate plot to take over the world is enough.  

But if it turns out Lando ices him with a well placed torpedo to the face, I promise to change my tune.  :foryou:

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

I'll admit straight away - its probably going to be impossible for me to get past my own feeling of how exceedingly lame it is that they're trotting creepy Uncle Palpatine back out, apparently as the all knowing invincible puppeteer of all things to boot.  Here's a tip guy - learn from Pinky and the Brain: one outlandishly elaborate plot to take over the world is enough.  

But if it turns out Lando ices him with a well placed torpedo to the face, I promise to change my tune.  :foryou:

I'm honestly surprised that JJ returned with everything RJ did to sabotage this trilogy. $$$$$ talks, though, I guess.

I can't blame Abrams for going to the Emperor when he clearly had plans for Snoke. Star Wars has always had a 'man behind the curtain'. I think it goes to 'respecting Star Wars' more than anything else.

I'm about as pessimistic as a person can be, but I have optimism (or hope), that this will close out the trilogy/saga on a good note. Otherwise Star Wars, going forward, is dead to me.

I have no idea what Palpatine's intentions are. It wouldn't make much logical sense to me if he was trying to take over the galaxy again. Revenge on Skywalker? I have no clue, but I'm hoping it's decent.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm honestly surprised that JJ returned with everything RJ did to sabotage this trilogy. $$$$$ talks, though, I guess.

- $tack$ and $tack$ of money.  Visually this looks like it will be stunning, so a nine figure box office is pretty much a foregone conclusion whether the movie sucks or not.

I can't blame Abrams for going to the Emperor when he clearly had plans for Snoke. Star Wars has always had a 'man behind the curtain'. I think it goes to 'respecting Star Wars' more than anything else.

- After the Khan of Wrath debacle that was his second Star Trek movie, I blame Abrams for everything.

I'm about as pessimistic as a person can be, but I have optimism (or hope), that this will close out the trilogy/saga on a good note. Otherwise Star Wars, going forward, is dead to me.

I have no idea what Palpatine's intentions are. It wouldn't make much logical sense to me if he was trying to take over the galaxy again. Revenge on Skywalker? I have no clue, but I'm hoping it's decent.

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

- $tack$ and $tack$ of money.  Visually this looks like it will be stunning, so a nine figure box office is pretty much a foregone conclusion whether the movie sucks or not.

- After the Khan of Wrath debacle that was his second Star Trek movie, I blame Abrams for everything.

It's gotta make a billion.

I thought that the 2nd Star Trek was okay. What was so bad about it? I'm not a Star Trek fan so I have no idea if that opinion is based on prior franchise mythology. I still haven't seen the 3rd one.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's gotta make a billion.

I thought that the 2nd Star Trek was okay. What was so bad about it? I'm not a Star Trek fan so I have no idea if that opinion is based on prior franchise mythology. I still haven't seen the 3rd one.

Three things ruined Into Darkness for me, which I do agree was generally entertaining otherwise:
  1. Magic Khan blood that cures everything
  2. Blatant rip off of the warp core scene from "Wrath of Khan" (easy to overlook if you've never seen WOK)
  3. Having to call future Spock to get the downlow on one of the worst villains in Trek Earth's history.  Apparently everyone failed high school in Abrams' vision of the 23rd century.

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Three things ruined Into Darkness for me, which I do agree was generally entertaining otherwise:
  1. Magic Khan blood that cures everything
  2. Blatant rip off of the warp core scene from "Wrath of Khan" (easy to overlook if you've never seen WOK)
  3. Having to call future Spock to get the downlow on one of the worst villains in Trek Earth's history.  Apparently everyone failed high school in Abrams' vision of the 23rd century.

I must be retarded because I don't remember the MKB (although I do recall it being mentioned before).

"Rip off" or homage?

24 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I must be retarded because I don't remember the MKB (although I do recall it being mentioned before).

- It cured what was ailing the little girl in the beginning of the movie, and cured Kirk of his warp core death.

"Rip off" or homage?

- Once we're past movie #1, its always a rip off.

If the leaked spoilers are true this saga will come to end with many people being upset.  Same sources that leaked GoT final season that were written off as fake came true and we know how most fans feel about that debacle.  I hope the leaks are not true so I am going into the movie with a open mind however in the back of my mind I have a bad feeling this film could ruin many Star Wars fans Christmas!  

BTW I am not trying to be negative because even though I absolutely hated the last Jedi I want this movie to restore my faith that this trilogy was worth it. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

If the leaked spoilers are true this saga will come to end with many people being upset.  Same sources that leaked GoT final season that were written off as fake came true and we know how most fans feel about that debacle.  I hope the leaks are not true so I am going into the movie with a open mind however in the back of my mind I have a bad feeling this film could ruin many Star Wars fans Christmas!  

But seemingly bad ideas in--script don't always play out the same on-screen.

The Nano Gauntlet was leaked prior to Endgame. I thought it was really dumb. It happened and I couldn't be happier.

Cautious optimism is all I'm asking for. There's no way this can be worse than TLJ. There's no way it can be as good a bookend as Endgame. It could be wildly entertaining, though. It could give us hope that the future of Star Wars isn't bleak.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

But seemingly bad ideas in----script don't always play out the same on-screen.

The Nano Gauntlet was leaked prior to Endgame. I thought it was really dumb. It happened and I couldn't be happier.

Cautious optimism is all I'm asking for. There's no way this can be worse than TLJ. There's no way it can be as good a bookend as Endgame. It could be wildly entertaining, though. It could give us hope that the future of Star Wars isn't bleak.

Even though its pretty obvious Rey is going to defeat Palpatine, I am just nervous the way they are going to do it will ruin the journey of Vader & Luke.  The SJW aspect of Hollywood for me is killing the industry.   My bet all along was that Rey is a Palpatine because it would be the opposite of what the other sagas were.  Now the Skywalkers get to take one away from the Palpatine bloodline to their side.   This new trilogy in terms of story feel more like a bad Darkhorse non-cannon storyline than a multi million dollar franchise as of right now to me unfortunately. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

But seemingly bad ideas in---script don't always play out the same on-screen.

I have a feeling it's going to be great. The great parts will be really great I feel, and the obligatory duff parts - usually centered around the obligatory annoying / largely irrelevant characters - will be duff plus. 

But my gut tells me parts of it are going to soar. If the right music tallies with some of the scenes I'm expecting, or have had glimpses of, with the right level of emotion, then its possible I may shed my load with childlike glee.

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I have a feeling it's going to be great. The great parts will be really great I feel, and the obligatory duff parts - usually centered around the obligatory annoying / largely irrelevant characters - will be duff plus. 

But my gut tells me parts of it are going to soar. If the right music tallies with some of the scenes I'm expecting, or have had glimpses of, with the right level of emotion, then its possible I may shed my load with childlike glee.

:sick:

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

........and I have the opposite feeling.

My childhood will have the final stomping on by Kathleen "the force is female," Kennedy,  and Jar jar Abrams.

18 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

........and I have the opposite feeling.

My childhood will have the final stomping on by Kathleen "the force is female," Kennedy,  and Jar jar Abrams.

The truth will likely be somewhere in the middle. We'll soon find out. 

9 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

If palatine is really still alive and running things, it makes Vader’s sacrifice meaningless and Luke’s victory a sham. It’s like finding yet another way for Disney and KK to sign off on destroying the mythology and significance of SW to the people who truly grew up with it.

Maybe Vader turning away from the dark side and back to his son was the salient point. It stands as its own meaningful event whether Palpatine bought it or not. Ditto Luke refusing to turn. Father / son victory regardless.