• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

that was Matthew 5:5

Mom raised us Catholic.  I went to public school up to grade 8 then catholic school for high school.   At a certain catholic NYC college, I had a second minor in theology... only because if I took an additional class I would have secured that.  

The only bible verse I can somewhat quote is Ezekiel 25:17 and even with that, I only know the 'Tarrantino' version... and that's if I recall all of that to begin with. lol 

Does Austin 3:16 count? 

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Going more with the lost scripts as possible inspiration... 

Reveal hidden contents

Lucasfilm had worked on a TV show called Star Wars Underworld, one of the storylines involved a love interest with Palpatine.

Something along the lines of Palpatine getting his feelings hurt and his love interest had ties to the criminal underworld. Anyway, its interesting.....

Spoiler

Given that the Sith only think of them selves, it shouldn't be a stretch to see them as quite hedonistic and for there to be quite a few bastards out there without them even knowing or caring. (shrug)

I'm thinking that more in relation to RoS.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

2 hours ago, Foley said:

I'd like to kindly request that we not discuss religion on here please.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on the matter, but it's a slippery slope.

If we are allowed to make posts such as the above, then they should also be open to being challenged.

That's a problem however, because challenging beliefs that are as deep seated as religion, no matter how ridiculous they are (virgin births, rising from the dead), is often taken as a personal affront.

Maybe we should stick to Star Wars.

I wasn’t Sunday school preaching. I merely stated in a previous post how the main theme of Star Wars is an archetype that can even be found in the Christian bible. Somebody contradicted it I guessed comparing how the Rebellion won yet Jesus was killed and thus lost. In response, I simply retorted that on paper, there was a lot more to the biblical story than Jesus simply being killed. I was trying to be academic about it. 

George Lucas, I believe, is on record for inserting religious references in his movies. Every Indiana Jones movie is about some different quest for a religious artifact before the spiritual aspect of said object takes over. If religion applies to a movie being discussed, as long as one doesn’t try to preach, I don’t think we should simply leave that discussion off the table for fear of offending somebody.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

51 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I wasn’t Sunday school preaching. I merely stated in a previous post how the main theme of Star Wars is an archetype that can even be found in the Christian bible. Somebody contradicted it I guessed comparing how the Rebellion won yet Jesus was killed and thus lost. In response, I simply retorted that on paper, there was a lot more to the biblical story than Jesus simply being killed. I was trying to be academic about it. 

George Lucas, I believe, is on record for inserting religious references in his movies. Every Indiana Jones movie is about some different quest for a religious artifact before the spiritual aspect of said object takes over. 

That's fair enough, perhaps I misinterpreted your post. Just felt it strayed a bit into the "personal belief" realm and therefore off topic. Reading back I understand how it ended up where it did though.

54 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

If religion applies to a movie being discussed, as long as one doesn’t try to preach, I don’t think we should simply leave that discussion off the table for fear of offending somebody.

I agree with you here, as long as we're mindful of keeping it related to the film. 

No harm done, and my apologies for singling out your post. :foryou:

8 hours ago, Foley said:

That's a problem however, because challenging beliefs that are as deep seated as religion, no matter how ridiculous they are (virgin births, rising from the dead), is often taken as a personal affront.

but that's what the Ewoks were about :devil:

17 hours ago, darkstar said:
On 12/23/2019 at 1:40 PM, fantastic_four said:

I lost my sheet when he opened up a can of whoop-arse on Dooku. 

that was also terrible. 

It seems that you misspelled "mind-blowingly awesome" there somehow.  :blush:

One of the biggest criticisms thrown at “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” since its nationwide release December 20 is the reduced role of Rose Tico, a Resistance member played by Kelly Marie Tran. Rose was introduced in “The Last Jedi” and became a point of contention for some toxic “Star Wars” fans. Tran had to wipe her Instagram account clean after becoming the victim of online harassment from “Star Wars” fans who disliked Rose and Tran’s hiring. Many Rose Tico fans were hopeful the character would continue to be a major character in “The Rise of Skywalker,” but as it turns out Rose is mostly removed from the entirety of the film.

Rose pops up near the beginning of “The Rise of Skywalker” as the main characters getting ready to take off to the desert planet Pasanna to begin their mission. Finn tells Rose she won’t be going with them and the characters leave without her. Rose is nearly absent from the rest of the film, although she is shown briefly fighting on behalf of the Resistance during the climactic battle against the First Order on Exogol. By removing Rose from the narrative, many critics believe “Rise of Skywalker” is disrespectful in how it  validates the toxic fans and “Last Jedi” backlash that drove Tran off social media.

While Rose is not a big part of “The Rise of Skywalker” theatrical release, an earlier cut of the film might have featured the character in a larger capacity. Entertainment Weekly published a video interview with Tran on November 29,  just a couple days before the cast first saw the final cut of “The Rise of Skywalker” on December 3 (Richard E. Grant revealed as much in his first reaction of the film), and in it Tran expresses excitement over where “Rise of Skywalker” takes her character. Tran says she was most happy for Rose to interact with Daisy Ridley’s series protagonist Rey.

“I think it’s really cool at all that they are even in scenes together because in ‘Jedi’ we weren’t in any scenes together,” Tran says. “It was really cool to have feminine energy on set. I wish I could tell you more but I’m really excited for people to see [Rose and Rey] interact. They both have the some objective which is to fight for the things you believe in and the people you love.”

The way Tran spoke about Rose’s role in “Rise of Skywalker” to Entertainment Weekly prior to seeing the film makes it sound like Rose’s importance was supposed to be much greater. At the very least, it appears Rose had at least one scene opposite Rey where the characters talk. IndieWire has reached out to Lucasfilm for further comment. “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” is now playing in theaters nationwide.