• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS : Episode IX December 20, 2019
6 6

2,429 posts in this topic

Now I get where some of the franchise linkage problems came about.

- Abrams was brought back in late after the first director was fired, but Disney didn't want to delay the film

- The Lucasfilm Story Group that helps maintain Star Wars lore across the films were excluded from this production

- The film was pieced together like a Star Wars video game with 'fetch quests' to setup a big moment, but not always an easy flow across the entire story

54 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now I get where some of the franchise linkage problems came about.

- Abrams was brought back in late after the first director was fired, but Disney didn't want to delay the film

- The Lucasfilm Story Group that helps maintain Star Wars lore across the films were excluded from this production

- The film was pieced together like a Star Wars video game with 'fetch quests' to setup a big moment, but not always an easy flow across the entire story

To basically bring back the Empire as it did in Force Awakens was the one big mistake of this new Trilogy. The rebels won in Return of the Jedi and FA basically just threw that hard won victory by Luke Han Leila Chewbacca Lando and the rest into the toilet just so they could show Stormtroopers and Tie Fighters to kids today. It should have been just a whole new story instead of being a mirror to the old trilogy. But if they had to bring back the Empire so to speak, the set-up should have been done more intelligently and subtly using political maneuvering like Senator Palpatine did but not take one and a half movies to show it. Set up with it in the beginning then move on so that the rest of the story had stronger legs.

Just got back from seeing it with the family.  I enjoyed it more than I did TLJ.  It wasn’t great, but it was entertaining (although a bit long).  
It felt very much like ROTJ in the way the The Force Awakens felt like ANH.  
I thought Princess Leia died in the last one?   They just ignored that part.  
My daughter enjoyed it.

29 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I thought Princess Leia died in the last one?   They just ignored that part.  
My daughter enjoyed it.

Did you walk out and not remember? Leia was very much alive at the end of the movie. She’s even part of the last shot before credits 

29 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

To basically bring back the Empire as it did in Force Awakens was the one big mistake of this new Trilogy. The rebels won in Return of the Jedi and FA basically just threw that hard won victory by Luke Han Leila Chewbacca Lando and the rest into the toilet just so they could show Stormtroopers and Tie Fighters to kids today. It should have been just a whole new story instead of being a mirror to the old trilogy. But if they had to bring back the Empire so to speak, the set-up should have been done more intelligently and subtly using political maneuvering like Senator Palpatine did but not take one and a half movies to show it. Set up with it in the beginning then move on so that the rest of the story had stronger legs.

He touches on that in the video where J.J. Abrams wanted to repeat the beats of the original trilogy throughout the films he touched (Force Awakens, Skywalker). So since this new franchise started with FA, they were tied to this direction.

So the new trilogy was just a deliberate remake of the Original Trilogy? Figures. RIse of Skywatcher was still my favorite film in a flawed trilogy because it at least had some strong crowd pleaser moments. 
Really none of the three trilogies tie together for me and the only one I can truly enjoy is the Original if only Disney would lose those awful Lucas Speciel Edition additions. Now THAT ruined Star Wars.

But ROS makes the new trilogy a bit more of a cohesive trilogy for me because we got to see JJ Abrams original set ups play out.

i admit I didn’t watch the video you posted

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Did you walk out and not remember? Leia was very much alive at the end of the movie. She’s even part of the last shot before credits 

Huh, I didn’t remember that at all.  Well, it was a forgettable movie.  I’ve only seen it once.

8 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Maybe the realistic market cap/share for a decent SW film is just over a billion? (shrug) China is weak for the franchise and TFA had a lot of hype that's not likely to be repeated. Not that there's anything wrong with that - a billion that is.

I think because Disney assumes from the massive Force Awakens reaction there is much more to be had when it comes to Star Wars films. Otherwise, why fiddle with the Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score?

RoS_Audience.thumb.PNG.61d0af3f7de2ad335e903a0e26bf4367.PNG

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh wait, the final shot is the kid with the broom light saber. Never mind that part

I thought that was a cool scene when I saw it since he used the force to bring the broom to his hand and figured it was setting something up for Rise... which it didn’t.

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I thought that was a cool scene when I saw it since he used the force to bring the broom to his hand and figured it was setting something up for Rise... which it didn’t.

Universal hatred for Last Jedi caused Lucasfilm to abandon the "any nobody can have the Force" storyline for this Trilogy and go back to Rey having royal lineage. You'll probably see the "Force as a democracy" concept pop in later movies, of which there will be, years from now.